Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC iplayer - jerky scrolling/movement ?

Old 05-02-2008, 17:49
CXC3000
Inactive Member

I was watching a certain programme on the BBC iplayer, but due to the not-so-smooth viewing process, my enjoyment was somewhat subdued.

The download speed was fine; I tried watching other prgrammes and it was the same thing.

Is it normal for the 'iplayer' not to have a smooth running whilst watching ?
CXC3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59
craig-maclellan
Forum Member

Hey

I've had exactly the same problem since I downloaded an update last Friday. When I try to watch something, the iPlayer uses almost all my RAM. I haven't had any of these problems before, so I don't see why they're happening now.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening???
craig-maclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:25
clanchief
Forum Member

I have found that the iPlayer works fine with my fairly new and fairly powerful desktop PC, both for streamed programs and downloaded programs.

However on my rather old laptop, rather oddly, streamed programs work OK but downloaded programs are very jerky and the sound is completely out of sync with the picture.

However I found that switching from the BBC player to Windows Media Player, which you can do in "settings" solved this problem and downloaded programs play fine. So it might be worth you trying that to see if it works for you.
clanchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 19:30
trxster3000
Forum Member

When I select Media Player download itís only in SD (not HD).

Everythingís fine when watching in HD on my laptop, but when I plug my laptop into my 42Ē screen via HDMI the sound is out of sync and the picture becomes jerky.

I would be VERY grateful for some suggestions as have tried the FAQís on iPlayer help but not getting anywhere.

Thanks very much,
Richard
trxster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 05:07
David Waine
Forum Member

If it is a lack of smooth scrolling, it could be your screen as much as anything else. Computer monitors are really optimised for still pictures. Both plasma and LCD TVs have been known to have issues with horizontal scrolling, hence the current fashion for 100+MHz screens, which is said to reduce the problem. You have to lay out a substantial sum for a TV that is effectively judder-free.

Increasing your RAM might help and a downloaded programme is always likely to look better than a streamed one because there will be no sudden pause while it loads a bit more.
David Waine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 19:07
trxster3000
Forum Member

If it is a lack of smooth scrolling, it could be your screen as much as anything else.
Itís not a computer panel but a proper TV that plays HD DVDís perfectly. Of course when I plug it in the default resolution is 1920 X 1080 so I knocked it down to 1366 x 768 and now it plays perfectly. The sound sync is MUCH better but still a slight lag?
trxster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote