Options

Calls for "Mosquito" noise device to be banned

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Children's Commissioner think that the so called "Mosquito" which emits a high pitched noise apparently only within the audible hearing range of young people, should be banned because it is indiscriminate, and may infringe human rights.

The device is used outside certain shops in order to discourage gangs of youths from gathering there.

click here for report
The devices have proved popular with councils and police who use them to disperse groups of youths engaged in anti-social behaviour.

But a new campaign called "Buzz off", led by the Children's Commissioner for England and back by groups including civil liberties group Liberty, is calling for them to be scrapped.

The organisations want to highlight what they call the "increasingly negative" way society views and deals with children and young people.

Sir Al Aynsley-Green, Children's Commissioner for England, said he had spoken to many young people who had been "deeply affected" by the deterrents.

He said: "These devices are indiscriminate and target all children and young people, including babies, regardless of whether they are behaving or misbehaving.

What do you think ?

Personally, I'm not convinced of their effectivenes, as they are also audible to people well outside the age range concerned.

If you want to hear the mosquito it's here

It sounds to me, like a very high pitched oscillating hum. Bit like tinnitus, if anybody's had that.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgraceful, having to result to things like this.. Anyone would think that the police, CPOs and ASBOs were useless.

This contravens the youths freedom and human rights, we don't want to hear about the human rights of the shopowner our customers do we?

Make a mobile version, then when you hear the local chav banging out his choons, pop the mosquito on..

Hey presto, ChavAway!
  • Options
    ViolentScouserViolentScouser Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue is it's indiscriminate and affects innocent young people as well. I consider it to be my right not to have my eardrums pierced as I walk past a shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Make a mobile version, then when you hear the local chav banging out his choons, pop the mosquito on..

Hey presto, ChavAway!
    All the while doing a new number on the ears of Jhony innocent who happens to be innocently walking to wherever he was or the Hard Working University Student who still hears the damn thing.

Yes, because pissing off the teenagers (and those in thier early twentys) who are actauly not being a pain in the arse is a surefire way to actualy turn them to a life of anti social behaviour.

Afterall, it's expected of them.

Hell, lets just exicute anyone who ever so dares to turn to the devil's age of 13, why don't we?

Battle Royale act, anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about some 'youngsters shops' where you can buy your sherbet dib dabs and chat like Ali G? No mosquitos allowed.
  • Options
    ViolentScouserViolentScouser Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about some 'youngsters shops' where you can buy your sherbet dib dabs and chat like Ali G? No mosquitos allowed.

That sounds worringly like segregation to me. Do you find us young people so vile you can't bear to use the same shops as us?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Personally, I'm not convinced of their effectivenes, as they are also audible to people well outside the age range concerned.

If you want to hear the mosquito it's here

It sounds to me, like a very high pitched oscillating hum. Bit like tinnitus, if anybody's had that.
    Ok it says I shouldn't be able to hear it.(I'm too old)
    But I can, are my ears dodgy?
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwww, it's an irritating noise. Tough.

If it keeps the little darlings from hanging around shop doors and intimidating customers at night then it's a good thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the other thread, maybe they should fit them to fire engines :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where can I buy one? My mum could do with one outside her garden to keep them away.

I can't hear it at all btw until I hold the speaker of my laptop right up to my ear with full volume on. :)
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see what the problem is, the noise is only irritating not painful. The youngsters can still go into the shops like anyone else, it just puts them off loitering outside in gangs intimidating and putting off other people.

They shouldnt be hanging around outside shops anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flicker wrote: »
    Where can I buy one? My mum could do with one outside her garden to keep them away.

I can't hear it at all btw until I hold the speaker of my laptop right up to my ear with full volume on. :)
    My ears are broken :( I can still hear it and I'm not a kid.
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only hear it if I turn the volume up quite high, and i'm 16.:confused:
    My God that's irritating though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only hear it if I turn the volume up quite high, and i'm 16.:confused:
    My God that's irritating though.
    Swap ears with me
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I would if I could.
    I don't think they use that in Plymouth.
    Although at night time Classical Music is played really loudly outside shops to keep chavs away, and it works.
    It's really funny.
  • Options
    MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ears are broken :( I can still here it and I'm not a kid.

I'm more worried by the fact my 8 year old daughter couldn't hear it :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although at night time Classical Music is played really loudly outside shops to keep chavs away, and it works.
    It's really funny.
    That's an inspired idea. Doubtless that fruitloop from 'Liberty' would still be claiming it infringes their civil rights.

If they played some decent classical around the shops where I live I might actually take up loitering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »
    I'm more worried by the fact my 8 year old daughter couldn't hear it :eek:
    Did you have it up loud enough though? Seriously because if you can't hear it then you can't judge.
    Sit her next to the speaker and turn it up until she can. And if she still can't ring NHS direct. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you have it up loud enough though? Seriously because if you can't hear it then you can't judge.
    Sit her next to the speaker and turn it up until she can. And if she still can't ring NHS direct. :D

I turned it up full blast. I am presuming the download is being blocked - but have no way of testing :)
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an inspired idea. Doubtless that fruitloop from 'Liberty' would still be claiming it infringes their civil rights.

If they played some decent classical around the shops where I live I might actually take up loitering.
    :D:D

BUT, you couldn't do that in case you accidentally educated the little darlings, and then there'd be trouble.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned it up full blast. I am presuming the download is being blocked - but have no way of testing :)
    Hmmm do you know any teenagers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm do you know any teenagers?

I have managed to download a version - she's having her breakfast. The experimentation will commence once she has completed it.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have managed to download a version - she's having her breakfast. The experimentation will commence once she has completed it.

:D
    Poor little mite, tell her it is in the name of science.
    And hope she doesn't know the number for childline.:D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am 35 and I could hear it. As long as it keeps the hooligan element away from where they should not be loitering,I am all for it.

The number of kids hanging about the bus station the other night doing stunts with their bikes was disgusting. One of the bus drivers told the other bus driver "run them over,its only paper work and they are not insured".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgraceful, having to result to things like this.. Anyone would think that the police, CPOs and ASBOs were useless.

This contravens the youths freedom and human rights, we don't want to hear about the human rights of the shopowner our customers do we?

Hey presto, ChavAway!

Ha ha, like that. God all this human rights crap doesnt it just make you want to throw up.

This insignifacant annoying noise doesnt hurt anyone, but out of control teenagers can when the PACK together.

Its such a shame really as we are I suppose starting to criminolise all youngsters but the majority are fine and just get one with their lives, its only the few who dont seem to have parents who are causing problems IMH
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really funny.

I just had a thought the perfect music Des O'Connor, that will keep the little blighters away LOL.