Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Little brown beetles in the house??!

Old 14-03-2008, 14:01
dancingbearbear
Forum Member

Can anyone help ~ we've started getting little brown (occassionally flying) beetles in the house, and I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!

They're about 3 mm long, dark brown (maybe even black)quite slow moving, and don't attempt to scarper of you go to squish them. We keep finding their tiny little corpses on the windowsill in one of the bedrooms, there's a few each day so it doesn't seem like they have much of a lifespan.

Has anyone else had these, or know what they might be and how to get rid of them?
dancingbearbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-03-2008, 14:06
Bingobangohoney
Forum Member

Do they look like coffee beans?

I had a similar problem in my last house, and in my new house I get tiny little ones!! #shudders#

Sorry, no help, I know!
Bingobangohoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 14:44
jerry
Forum Member

Sounds like woodworm
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 14:51
dollymarie
Forum Member

Sounds like woodworm
I was going to say the same thing.
dollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:20
liquidJP
Forum Member

Go get some insecticide from a DIY store, and give the area a liberal dusting.

Or give your local council's pest control department a call, they will offer advice.

NB Most pesticides are extramly harmfull to dogs and fish, be carefull.
liquidJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:22
welshsarah
Forum Member

Can anyone help ~ we've started getting little brown (occassionally flying) beetles in the house, and I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!

They're about 3 mm long, dark brown (maybe even black)quite slow moving, and don't attempt to scarper of you go to squish them. We keep finding their tiny little corpses on the windowsill in one of the bedrooms, there's a few each day so it doesn't seem like they have much of a lifespan.

Has anyone else had these, or know what they might be and how to get rid of them?
I got them to have you got any in the bedroom ? someone told me once theyre larch ladybirds
welshsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:40
Finglonga
Forum Member

I was going to say the same thing.
Me three.

Check for small holes in any wooden Items and pray we are wrong.

Clicky
Finglonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:49
welshsarah
Forum Member

Mine dont look like that mine got a small roundish body I get them in my hands and throw them outside
Old 14-03-2008, 15:50
lisa02

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Do they look like this?

Those are bed bugs, carbon dioxide makes them active. They are usually found in dark places. They are usually in dark crevices, under sofas, etc.

Hoovering around the area daily and using some sort of pest control should get rid of them.
lisa02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:55
welshsarah
Forum Member

na they're nothing like that either it's like a baby ladybird with a hard shell with a browny black shell and then have wings like a ladybird cant find any today
Old 14-03-2008, 16:09
Glagowgirl
Forum Member

Could they be carpet beetles? Just google it for a picture!
Glagowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:14
beckyEmsmum
Forum Member

na they're nothing like that either it's like a baby ladybird with a hard shell with a browny black shell and then have wings like a ladybird cant find any today
No idea how to do a link I'm afraid, but have a search on the web for carpet beetles. If it is them then have a look under furniture etc and have a good hoover round. Make sure to go right into any gaps between carpet and skirting. Also if you have an unused chimney they could be coming from a birds nest. We had them in our rented house and it got so bad the floor used to be covered in larvae.
beckyEmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:38
Achtung
Forum Member

It's sounds like those tiny black beetles that you sometimes get all over a white shirt in the summer if you're out on your bike, you know the one's?
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:42
fat controller
Forum Member

It's sounds like those tiny black beetles that you sometimes get all over a white shirt in the summer if you're out on your bike, you know the one's?
I think I know the ones you mean - we used to call them corn jacks, but I can't find any reference to them on google.
fat controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 17:30
sancheeez
Forum Member

Sounds like carpet beetles to me.

We had them in a previous flat. Harmless, but annoying.

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/a...Beetle_20.html

If you ever find these:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curati...olly_bear.html

as well, then its definitely carpet beetles.
sancheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 17:32
ikkleosu
Forum Member

Are they Biscuit beetles?
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

My OH gets those a lot in his kitchen. We find a lot of the larvae bodies too (like wee stripey worms).
ikkleosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 18:19
anj
Forum Member

I've heard they come off birds. I get the occasional one or two. My cousin got an infestation and had to be fumigated. Some sort of insect spray would probably clear them up.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 18:44
Cunny Funt
Forum Member

I've had these before, I called out pest control and they said they come from birds nests... they are harmless though, just spray some fly spray around the room and they'll soon go.
Cunny Funt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 20:37
lozza73
Forum Member

I found a family of them once in a bag of potatoes! Little things took up home in the bottom of the kitchen cupboard before I found tehm! I think they're harmless but not nice!

...I now think they were biscuit beetles having seen the post above.
lozza73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:26
malaikah
Forum Member

I washed one of those biscuit beetles down the bathroom sink yesterday!! At last I now know their name. First time I've ever seen them in this house and I've been here years now. I remember years ago in shared student digs I used to find them in/under one of my beds and all around the bedroom
malaikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 18:30
JanieB
Forum Member

Hmmm, we had these in our old flat years ago. The bug itself looked like the carpet beetle pix on this thread but the larvae were not hairy. They were greyish white. We had them in a small back bedroom which was an extension to the flat which was coming away from the main building and we had a lot of damp. Also used to find them under the fridge whenever I pulled out the white goods to hoover behind them. We never did find out what they were and because I have asthma were reluctant to use insect sprays. We moved out of the flat before we gutted it and redecorated it for rental. In the meantime we had mice and they got rid of the beetles for us! The extension was rebuilt and carpeted and the people living there have never reported these beasties as having returned, so I can only assume they were something to do with the damp.
JanieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 23:36
~*~Jess~*~
Forum Member

Eww have you figured out what they are yet OP? They sound horrid! I don't like any creepie crawlies. I bet I start finding these now I've read this thread
~*~Jess~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 02:32
Radiomaniac
Forum Member

I'm pretty sure you'll find that they're carpet beetles, I think they're also known as woolly bears (or maybe that's the larva)!

I found a couple last week, though one on a wall and the other on a windowsill.

I've always seen them around and they never seem to do any harm, neither are they scary - they're more like tiny brown ladybirds.
Radiomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 07:49
_radioamerica
Forum Member

Sounds like carpet beatles to me. My friend had them and they were pretty gross. Sounds like you need to hoover under the sofa and in dark places more.
_radioamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 20:02
Henry_Simpson
Forum Member

I am experiencing similar beetles on my windowsills they just over one millimetre in size did you find how to get rid of them Henry Simpson
Henry_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote