Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Billie Piper's changing speaking voice

Old 08-04-2008, 22:19
cathrin
Forum Member

A few weeks ago I read an interview with Billie Piper, in which she said she had been trying to get back into the character of Rose while standing in front of a mirror, and she couldn't get the voice right. (....Or something like that!) This reminded me of a thread a while ago when Billie was a guest on the Charlotte Church show, and several of us on DS commented on how different her voice has become. (....I mean her normal, non-acting, just being herself speaking voice, which has become much posher in interviews since she started playing lots of costume drama roles. Almost as if the elocution lessons [or whatever training she had for the costume drama parts] have worked *too* well!) Here's the thread when it was discussed.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=542170

Did anyone else read the interview about her difficulty getting back into the Rose character? I hope she managed to nail it in the end...I'd hate to think of Rose going all posh! I loved the moment when she appeared last week....very poignant.
cathrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37
Red-Eye
Forum Member

Well, as long as she kept training herself I'm sure she'd be fine.

Either that OR as part of the Alt Torchwood's rules, all members MUST have posh voices whether they like it or not.
Red-Eye is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 17:50
TotalSweetie
Forum Member

Actually it would make more sense for Rose to be a bit more grown up seeing as time has moved on in the paralel world and Rose is probably 23 or something
TotalSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 18:50
welsh-harri
Forum Member

I think it would be good to see a slight change I mean as if Rose has been doing some growing up without the Doctor, like I think we will see with Martha(hoping so anyway).

It's not that hard to do a cockney accent, but Rose's was just so perfect it was believable that she grew up in a 'rough' part of London. I'm not worried about that anyway!
welsh-harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 18:50
NAF
Forum Member

Well, as long as she kept training herself I'm sure she'd be fine.

Either that OR as part of the Alt Torchwood's rules, all members MUST have posh voices whether they like it or not.
Imagine Jackie posh!
NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22
Listentome
Forum Member

Being from Swindon like Billie, i can totally understand why she would want to change her natural accent. i did the same thing
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18
liquidJP
Forum Member

It's not that hard to do a cockney accent, but Rose's was just so perfect it was believable that she grew up in a 'rough' part of London. I'm not worried about that anyway!
tell that to Dick Van Dyke...
liquidJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 14:38
Littlemissmolz
Inactive Member

Being from Swindon like Billie, i can totally understand why she would want to change her natural accent. i did the same thing
Yeah and me lol

Wonderfully common isn't it
Littlemissmolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 14:40
Tombwfc
Forum Member

i liked rose's voice
Tombwfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 15:08
Littlemissmolz
Inactive Member

i liked rose's voice
It suited her character. I haven't really given it a second thought untill now, but Billie Piper is slightly more posh than you'd expect.
Littlemissmolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 18:18
performingmonk
Forum Member

People seem to forget that she had a fairly posh accent in the first place. That's because when she was a pop star she tried not to be posh and obviously as Rose she did the whole mockney fing, to an extent.
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:47
cathrin
Forum Member

I was really dying for Rose's return, but as I'd posted above, I had feared she might sound totally different, and she did! I found Billie's voice really odd....not at all like the original Rose. Surely she could have got the voice back by watching herself in some old episodes? Apart from anything else, it was really hard to understand what she was saying!

The funny thing is, we had been expecting her to sound more posh, but that wasn't the problem at all: it was as if her mouth was clamped shut and she couldn't get the words out!
cathrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:55
ASH_23
Forum Member

I was really dying for Rose's return, but as I'd posted above, I had feared she might sound totally different, and she did! I found Billie's voice really odd....not at all like the original Rose. Surely she could have got the voice back by watching herself in some old episodes? Apart from anything else, it was really hard to understand what she was saying!

The funny thing is, we had been expecting her to sound more posh, but that wasn't the problem at all: it was as if her mouth was clamped shut and she couldn't get the words out!
I could understand what she said perfectly, and her voice may have been slightly posher but she still gave a brilliant performance, after the first scene i didnt even think her voice was that different she always spoke a bit like that.
ASH_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:57
pammi_i
Inactive Member

Well she's been living in a different galaxy for a while, probably picked up the local accent there - though clearly it wasn't in "The North"! (more like the Maida Vale of the Galaxy)
pammi_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:57
inbb
Forum Member

whats wrong with billie? has she had surgery on her lips? she cant speak right, its like her top lip cant move?
inbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:58
pammi_i
Inactive Member

I could understand what she said perfectly, and her voice may have been slightly posher but she still gave a brilliant performance, after the first scene i didnt even think her voice was that different she always spoke a bit like that.
I thought she sounded a bit different - but it just sounded very much more mature to me.
pammi_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:00
performingmonk
Forum Member

She was deliberately speaking in a different way to show how Rose has changed. However, Billie has had stuff done to her lips and maybe teeth since even the Call Girl series so that also makes her speak differently. She can't speak as clearly anymore, it seems!
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:03
inbb
Forum Member

She was deliberately speaking in a different way to show how Rose has changed. However, Billie has had stuff done to her lips and maybe teeth since even the Call Girl series so that also makes her speak differently. She can't speak as clearly anymore, it seems!
yeah... its like she is struggling opening her mouth!!
inbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:05
PlasticGob
Forum Member

On the video clips where she is shouting Doctor she looks different too. Seems to have had work done.

I like Billie though. Mr Fox is a bit posh isn't he, maybe with the lessons she has had and listening to a posh guy a lot its rubbed off. I am a Scouser my hubby is from Kings Lynn in Norfolk and his accent and mannerisms have rubbed off on me too!
PlasticGob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:07
ibeca
Forum Member

Yeah and me lol

Wonderfully common isn't it
My friend's dad's originally from Swindon and he's always had a beautiful speaking voice. Mind you he is very middle class
ibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:09
ibeca
Forum Member

On the video clips where she is shouting Doctor she looks different too. Seems to have had work done.
She's just lost a lot of weight. She was always a bit wide around the hips and and there is nothing there now.

Unfortunately because she has such a wide jaw for a woman, her weight loss makes her face look very gaunt and emphasises her protruding teeth.

I did notice the lisp that I have never noticed before. I have to say though, if she has had anything done to her teeth (I can't see that her lips are any different) I would ask for my money back.
ibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 21:13
Gordie1
Forum Member

yeah... its like she is struggling opening her mouth!!
More likely that she is scared to open her mouth incase she cant close it again, i swear that every time i see her, she has an extra few teeth in there, her mouth must be like a TARDIS in there.
Gordie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 00:32
Gordie1
Forum Member

I originaly thought it was just me hearing things, obviously not, perhaps she has a tounge pearcing for that prostitute programme she does?
Gordie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 00:34
Pistol Whip
Forum Member

She did sound very odd, I was struggling to understand what she was sayiong sometimes.
Pistol Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 00:42
contradiction
Forum Member

Some people here think she sounded POSH????

Yeah, sure, in the same way Janet Street Porter does.
contradiction is offline   Reply With Quote