DS Forums

Dr Who to end after the thirteenth doctor

Old 22-05-2008, 18:02
kevinmerchant
Forum Member

Does anyone believe this?

Any theories?
kevinmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-05-2008, 18:03
uknewyorkgiants
Forum Member

Does anyone believe this?

Any theories?
no way it will go on for ever like james bond
uknewyorkgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:03
mclovin
Banned User

never. gonna. happen.
mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:08
Yoonix
Forum Member

I don't expect Sanjeev Bhaskar to ever give up the role of 13th Doc, so the issue will never arise.
Yoonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:10
mclovin
Banned User

I don't expect Sanjeev Bhaskar to ever give up the role of 13th Doc, so the issue will never arise.

who? don't know who that is
mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:10
edEx
Forum Member

If The Master can beat the 12 regenerations rule I'm sure the show will allow The Doctor to do the same.
edEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:25
kjwilly
Forum Member

No chance- it will end when viewing figures dictate, whether that is before or after the end of the 13th Doctor
kjwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:28
Mansun
Forum Member

They're not going to end a succesful and popular programme which is earning them s**tloads of money just because of a line in an episode that was written thirty-odd years ago.

As RTD said: Doctor finds Crystal of Zog... Doctor gets new regeneration cycle... boom! Away we go.
Mansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 19:02
kendoguk
Forum Member

haha they can easily just say the timelords gave him unlimited regenerations during the time war
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 19:02
dubious1977
Forum Member

They're not going to end a succesful and popular programme which is earning them s**tloads of money just because of a line in an episode that was written thirty-odd years ago.

As RTD said: Doctor finds Crystal of Zog... Doctor gets new regeneration cycle... boom! Away we go.
Or possibly just regenerates again, crying "What? WHAT? WHAAAATTTT?" leaving the reason as a mystery, and the possible conclusion of a season arc.
dubious1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 19:19
bodsworthnj
Forum Member

I know

the time lords imposed a limit of thirteen regenerations but now there gone it is unlimited.
bodsworthnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 20:07
Hot Dogg
Forum Member

Reality check.. 1 2 !

The only reason we got 'regeneration' in the first place was that Bill Hartnell got too unwell to continue. Hence they invented the concept.
Can you honestly see Auntie canning Dr Who in the light of that?

As written further up this thread, the writers will simply write an 'out', and we all get to enjoy Dr Who until we no longer want to or the ratings fall so far that the Beeb cans it.
Hot Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 20:17
codename_47
Forum Member

Or possibly just regenerates again, crying "What? WHAT? WHAAAATTTT?" leaving the reason as a mystery, and the possible conclusion of a season arc.
Hey I came up with that about 2 years ago!

(Mind you it's hardly the most orginal of ideas...maybe I don't want the credit! )

I think the best (and easiest) explanation now is that the 12 regeneration limit was set by the Time Lords as a kind of population control and the device that detected how many regenerations and suspended them after a time (perhaps in a similar manner The Master managed to suspend The Doctor's capacity to regenerate last series) was lost with Gallifrey....
Meaning The Doctor can regenerate as many times as he wants...
codename_47 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 20:19
Urban Bassman
Forum Member

Reality check.. 1 2 !

The only reason we got 'regeneration' in the first place was that Bill Hartnell got too unwell to continue. Hence they invented the concept.
Can you honestly see Auntie canning Dr Who in the light of that?

As written further up this thread, the writers will simply write an 'out', and we all get to enjoy Dr Who until we no longer want to or the ratings fall so far that the Beeb cans it.
And the 12 regenerations was not introduced until Tom Baker's time.

But this is the whole problem with the Time Lord's and why I don't really want them back. Not being there is the get out clause they need.
Urban Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 21:20
bigalt
Forum Member

Always said that it was possible that they gave him new set of regens because of the Time War.
bigalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 21:24
choc-a-bloc

I think the best (and easiest) explanation now is that the 12 regeneration limit was set by the Time Lords as a kind of population control and the device that detected how many regenerations and suspended them after a time (perhaps in a similar manner The Master managed to suspend The Doctor's capacity to regenerate last series) was lost with Gallifrey....
The lucky sod.
Old 22-05-2008, 21:52
Listentome
Forum Member

Hey I came up with that about 2 years ago!

(Mind you it's hardly the most orginal of ideas...maybe I don't want the credit! )

Ah, so that's the real reason the Doctor doesn't want t go back and save the Time Lords
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 22:00
TakeDown247
Forum Member

Thing is how many times did the Doctor regenerate before the first series back in 1967?
as he was old then ( not that I remeber as I wasn't around then )

I bet when I time comes nothing will be said about it
TakeDown247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 22:21
codename_47
Forum Member

Thing is how many times did the Doctor regenerate before the first series back in 1967?
as he was old then ( not that I remeber as I wasn't around then )

I bet when I time comes nothing will be said about it
What did he say in Time Crash? When he was young he spent all his time being old...as you do when you're young and trying to look important...

So I think he was the first...as the oldest!

It reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

"You remind me of the young me, which was ironically the old me!"

The Doctor adds a whole new level to that one!
codename_47 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 22:22
solenoid
Forum Member

It'll actually end in 2011 when the 10th Doctor explodes in a supernova.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 22:48
TakeDown247
Forum Member

What did he say in Time Crash? When he was young he spent all his time being old...as you do when you're young and trying to look important...

So I think he was the first...as the oldest!

It reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

"You remind me of the young me, which was ironically the old me!"

The Doctor adds a whole new level to that one!
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I just watched timecrash and thought it was good

I think as codename_47 else said The Timelords suspended regenerations after 13 and The Doctor did say to rose that he doesn't die he regenerates so maybe now The Doctor can live for ever
TakeDown247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 23:09
Old Man 43
Forum Member

I have always wondered if the President of the Time Lords had given The Doctor the job of destroying Gallifrey, The Time Lords along with the Daleks if it looked as if The Daleks were going to succeed in taking over Gallifrey. Further from this she also gave The Doctor unlimited regenerations so that he could carry on protecting The Earth.
Old Man 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 01:28
SUPERPAUL67
Forum Member

they did once.
SUPERPAUL67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 01:30
SUPERPAUL67
Forum Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I just watched timecrash and thought it was good

I think as codename_47 else said The Timelords suspended regenerations after 13 and The Doctor did say to rose that he doesn't die he regenerates so maybe now The Doctor can live for ever
he died in the film.
SUPERPAUL67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 01:34
Ash_735
Forum Member

he died in the film.
Because the Human Medicine delayed the start of the Regenerationm process, which cause some amnesia.
Ash_735 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote