Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sick pay "at manager's discretion"

Old 26-05-2008, 15:17
musn't grumble

I've been working in a store for over two years now and am within my rights to be entitled to sick pay. But apparently this is at manager's discretion. How exactly is this defined? The way I see it, you can be on death's door and not get it, but if they're having a good day and you've had a cold you might get it.

I was off this month for two days because I've had some sort of bug and am awaiting blood tests. Now I'm stressed as to whether I'll get paid it and wondering what I can do to prove I wasn't well enough to work.
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-05-2008, 15:21
nanscombe
Forum Member

Does this help?

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...y_sick_pay.asp

Sick for at least 4 or more days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays). This is known as a Period of Incapacity for Work.
Hmm, possibly not in this case.
nanscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:25
musn't grumble

So if I'd have taken off a few more days I'd have been alright. Sigh... There's me rushing back for the money
Old 26-05-2008, 15:26
nanscombe
Forum Member

If nothing else, it's useful information to have in case you ever need it.
nanscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:28
Jean Luc Picard

Sick for at least 4 or more days in a row.
Typical Government/Civil Service bad grammar.
Old 26-05-2008, 15:30
ontwofronts

So if I'd have taken off a few more days I'd have been alright. Sigh... There's me rushing back for the money
Not really after the first 3 days off as a qualifying period you become entitled to SSP but that isn't all that much.

You should speak to HR or your line manager and find out the companies policy on absence and sick pay. It does vary from employer to employer and can vary depending on the reason for absence. More employers are refusing to pay beyond SSP for sporting injuries now.
Old 26-05-2008, 15:31
The Kenz
Inactive Member

Remember, "Sick Pay" can mean 2 things - Company Sick Pay, where the company can make it's own rules as to how much and to whom it is paid, and Statutory Sick Pay, which is defined by the Govt and MUST be paid (providing you satisfy the criteria) by your employer. For SSP, you will be entitled to receive payment (generally) providing you were earning more than 90 per week before you went off sick, and providing you were off sick for 4 or more days in a row.
The Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:33
musn't grumble

One would assume it's the company sick pay as I am supposedly entitled to it after two years.
Old 26-05-2008, 15:42
mel1213
Forum Member

I've been working in a store for over two years now and am within my rights to be entitled to sick pay. But apparently this is at manager's discretion. How exactly is this defined? The way I see it, you can be on death's door and not get it, but if they're having a good day and you've had a cold you might get it.

I was off this month for two days because I've had some sort of bug and am awaiting blood tests. Now I'm stressed as to whether I'll get paid it and wondering what I can do to prove I wasn't well enough to work.
Couldn't you take in a doctor's note to prove you were ill - seeing as you must have seen someone to have had blood tests?
mel1213 is offline   Reply With Quote