Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is it politically correct to refer to someone as Oriental?

Old 04-07-2008, 14:55
TomFarrell
Forum Member

Having lived in Australia, when I first arrived there, I noticed that people of eastern origin are referred to as Asian, and if the word Oriental is used, it is frowned upon.

It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but isn't Oriental a bit politically incorrect with Asian being the more accepted turn of phrase?

This is not an attack at Rex at all, I actually like him and hope he'll do well, I just noticed a difference in the language used here and in Australia and wondered what the opinion of the forum is......

Oriental or Asian....
Which one, you decide.
TomFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-07-2008, 14:56
mooncup
Forum Member

I have no problem with that word. If someone was using it to insult someone then that is a different matter.
mooncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 14:57
bandylegs
Inactive Member

Sounds OK to me, but best check with New Labour first.
bandylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 14:58
DaisyBumbleroot
Forum Member

i always say east asian for japan, china, korea and south east asian for thailand, cambodia, malaysia etc

i wouldnt say oriental is bad, its just a tad old fashioned, a bit turn of the century (the last one, not this one)
DaisyBumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
MisoSoup
Forum Member

I think the word 'Oriental' is also frowned upon in the United States, where the word 'Asian' is also prefered

But from what I gather 'Oriental' is still acceptable in Britain, presumably because here, the word 'Asian' is used to describe people from the Indian sub-continent
MisoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
cassius
Forum Member

Sounds OK to me, but best check with New Labour first.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 14:59
lovecat86
Forum Member

Asian to me means either from India or Pakistan. Oriental being countries in the orient. I thought it was the US who said Asian for Chinese, Japanese,etc... When I fill in my ethnicity I am Mixed White and Asian.
lovecat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
zankoku87
Forum Member

I believe that in some countries, the word "Oriental" is considered offensive, but I don't think it's the case here. In those countries, "Asian" is preferred, but here "Asian" tends to mean people from the Indian sub-continent and thereabouts, so we need another term to refer to those people further East, and "Oriental" seems to be the accepted term, though "East Asian" is the term my department at University uses.
zankoku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rennie
Forum Member

From Wikipedia (so it must be true )

To describe a person as Oriental is considered to be impolite and politically incorrect by some in the United States; the term Asian is now widely used. In the United States Oriental refers to objects and material good such as rugs and teapots. However, the term Oriental does not carry any such connotations in the United Kingdom, where the word Asian commonly refers to people of Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani/Sri Lankan descent. (These people are called South Asians in the United States.)
Rennie is offline   Reply With Quote
DaisyBumbleroot
Forum Member

But from what I gather 'Oriental' is still acceptable in Britain, presumably because here, the word 'Asian' is used to describe people from the Indian sub-continent
and id say middle eastern
DaisyBumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:00
lovecat86
Forum Member

However, the term Oriental does not carry any such connotations in the United Kingdom, where the word Asian commonly refers to people of Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani/Sri Lankan descent. (These people are called South Asians in the United States.)

That's my take on it.
lovecat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
LaineyK
Forum Member

I wouldn't have thought either were wrong or offensive tbh. I have used both as descriptions of people from that part of the world and never once thought or was told that I should not use either.
LaineyK is offline   Reply With Quote
shabutie
Forum Member

I think the word 'Oriental' is also frowned upon in the United States, where the word 'Asian' is also prefered

Yeah, this. I try and use South Asian/East Asian if I'm posting somewhere that has a mix of Yanks & Brits because they do find it really weird. I think oriental is supposed to be used for objects, not people.
shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:01
MaureenG
Forum Member

Oriental = eastern
Occidental = western
Nothing PC or not PC about it.
MaureenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:02
martenla
Forum Member

I think it's fine, especially when describing the look of something or someone rather than their ethnicity.
martenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:03
lollyish
Inactive Member

In the US it's frowned upon. Here..... well if it is, I've never heard it.
lollyish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:03
Aleksis
Forum Member

I think since Said wrote "Orientalism" Westerners have been scared of the word because it makes them look outdated and unfashionable - it's not particularly racist. I don't see how it carries any connotations that differ from "Asian" or "Far Eastern".
Aleksis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:05
Mr Msyosles
Forum Member

I'd say Oriental was fine in this country.

My OH (born and raised in the UK, but his parents are from HK) really doesn't like being called Asian, much prefers Oriental. He says to him Asian refers to Indian/Pakistani.
Mr Msyosles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:05
MisoSoup
Forum Member

Yeah, this. I try and use South Asian/East Asian if I'm posting somewhere that has a mix of Yanks & Brits because they do find it really weird. I think oriental is supposed to be used for objects, not people.
Yes, I think that's right
MisoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:06
Baroness Bunkum
Banned User

When i hear 'asian' i think of indian/pakistani etc.
'oriental' to me is chinese/japanese/thai.

So yeah, it's fine imo - more specific than 'asian'
Baroness Bunkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:07
nomad2king
Forum Member

Having lived in Australia, when I first arrived there, I noticed that people of eastern origin are referred to as Asian, and if the word Oriental is used, it is frowned upon.

It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but isn't Oriental a bit politically incorrect with Asian being the more accepted turn of phrase?

This is not an attack at Rex at all, I actually like him and hope he'll do well, I just noticed a difference in the language used here and in Australia and wondered what the opinion of the forum is......

Oriental or Asian....
Which one, you decide.
Surely it's just being more specific, as in Scandinavian
v European. Asia does cover a large area. If you refered to someone as oriental, people would think that you were refering to someone of Chinese or Japanese origins as opposed to Indian, Russian, Arabic and others(?).
nomad2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:13
tropicalparrot
Forum Member

Good lord! Do people just go looking for it? Why is everyone terrified of speaking English? Yes Oriental is fine to say. There are no negative connotations to this word. It simply means from the Orient (an area covering East Asia). Do you not realise that this madness will only stop when you all stop being terrified of offending people? And who are you usually offending? White middle class do-gooders!!!

tropicalparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:14
00tvaddict00
Forum Member

It is not. Alot of asian people can get really offended if called oriental. A rug is oriental, food is oriental, people aren't.
00tvaddict00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:15
slipperydave
Banned User

I'm gonna get my Prince Philip book of Race Relations to see what he has to say on the matter.
slipperydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:17
Jack_Johnson
Forum Member

Good lord! Do people just go looking for it? Why is everyone terrified of speaking English? Yes Oriental is fine to say. There are no negative connotations to this word. It simply means from the Orient (an area covering East Asia). Do you not realise that this madness will only stop when you all stop being terrified of offending people? And who are you usually offending? White middle class do-gooders!!!

I agree, who gives a monkey's whether its politically correct or not. There is nothing offensive about it whatsoever, if when describing someone the word oriental is the best adjective to use, then people should use it.
Jack_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote