Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Change of appearance...changing passport photo?

Old 08-07-2008, 13:25
ferox1
Forum Member

I got my passport 3 years ago and since then my appearance has changed (no longer wear glasses/hairstyle completely different) and it really doesn't look like me at all anymore!

How do I solve this? Is there a way I can simply renew the photo? I tried looking on their website but it doesn't say.

Another thing; I got my passport just before the new "biometric" price increase was introduced...if I have to get a whole new passport would it be one of the new biometric ones or has that not been implemented yet?

I'm aware I'll probably have to pay a fee for this but I think I have no choice tbh, even I wouldn't believe the photo is me...
ferox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-07-2008, 13:28
Lovetats
Forum Member

I wouldn't worry - my passport photo makes me look like Eva Braun when IRL, I'm a babe LMAO!!!

Your face will still be recognisable to customs/immigration officials, even if you think you look very different.

I had an old passport with me having long, darker hair and then had it all cut short and bleached blonde. No immigration official ever questioned me about it, even in farflung places where the polis have machine guns - gulp!!

I'd save yourself the money and just get a new one when your's expires.
Lovetats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:50
RAINBOWGIRL22
Forum Member

My passport is nearly 10 years old - I was 18 in the photo and I've changed! Alot! Never had a problem with using my passport over the years.

And I must remember to get it renewed soon
RAINBOWGIRL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:51
TheFirstCut
Inactive Member

I have a pre-biometric passport and my appearance has changed, lost weight, hair style etc etc from when photo was taken several years previous, I've had no problems at all.
TheFirstCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:54
fafita2786

They take into account that your appearance will change in 5-10 years, I wouldn't worry.
Old 08-07-2008, 13:57
sootygirl

I've just been looking online about this, my passport photo is awful, I got a really long questioning last time I was in spain so before I got to america next year Im gonna get it changed.

From what I can find on the passport site you cant just change the photo, you have to renew the passport and that costs 72.
sootygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:58
PamelaL
Forum Member

In my passport photo I have short, bleached blonde hair and no glasses. Now I have long, dark blonde hair and wear black-rimmed spectacles. It's never been a problem when travelling. Although going to Australia last year the bloke in immigration shook his head and said sexistly 'you ladies and your hair'.
PamelaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:59
Porcupine
Forum Member

I love my driving license photo. I remember having it done, and the boss said i looked like a model (it made my year ).

Now ..... i look nothing like it *sobs*

I havent got a passport, but wanted to join in the thread
Porcupine is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:02
uncle monty
Forum Member

Mine is just coming up to 10 years old, I look like Morticia Adams in it. I've gone through a million different hairstyles and pairs of glasses/contact lenses, no-one has ever questioned it. My daughter is a bald, 3 month old baby in hers, she's now 4 and a half years old (and no longer bald ), and no-one has ever questioned me about her, either.

Save your money
uncle monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:09
fafita2786

I love my driving license photo. I remember having it done, and the boss said i looked like a model (it made my year ).

Now ..... i look nothing like it *sobs*

I havent got a passport, but wanted to join in the thread
Quoted so you don't feel like a forum pariah or post leper.
Old 08-07-2008, 14:10
Porcupine
Forum Member

Quoted so you don't feel like a forum pariah or post leper.
Awwww Fanks
Old 08-07-2008, 21:04
jane-hen12
Forum Member

My passport photo doesnt look like me. my hairs shorter and no longer died red =]
although one of my mates said to me the other day its the most glamourous passport photo going! made my year that!
jane-hen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 22:32
DizzyD
Forum Member

I dont think it really matters. My mum looked really different on hers and it never got questioned, and my cousin travelled from swiss to spain last year and he was 10 or something on the photo and he was now 17 and the passport ran out the day he travelled and they didnt even care, it was only a few weeks before where he got started at. anyway im gonna stop baffleing on and say save your money.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 19:39
Mohaned127
Forum Member

hi, how are you
i got my danish passport in 2004 and my appearance change a lot, do you think that i will have problem travel or what i can do now ??

the photo its not look like me at all i look like other person ....

please what i can do ??
Mohaned127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 19:47
Quickfade
Forum Member

I was an idiot when I got my ten year passport - I used the same picture that I applied for my driving license with, which was taken when I was 16!

Ten years older now and I look absolutely nothing like the photo at all, but I've managed to travel throughout the world (including through super strict USA immigration control) with little more than a raised eyebrow.

Only a year to go and I can renew with a more appropriate photo on both my passport and driver's license!
Quickfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 20:13
Mikay
Forum Member

I was sixteen when I had my passport photo taken. I'm nearly 21, and look a lot different. By the time my passport expires when I'm 26, I'm sure I'll look like a different person.
Mikay is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 20:52
Hector Riva
Inactive Member

I wouldn't worry - my passport photo makes me look like Eva Braun when IRL, I'm a babe LMAO!!!

Your face will still be recognisable to customs/immigration officials, even if you think you look very different.

I had an old passport with me having long, darker hair and then had it all cut short and bleached blonde. No immigration official ever questioned me about it, even in farflung places where the polis have machine guns - gulp!!

I'd save yourself the money and just get a new one when your's expires.

They look at the shape of the ears, nose and eyes.

If you've had extensive plastic surgery then you'd probably need a new passport photo.
Hector Riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 20:56
chattamanuk
Forum Member

hi, how are you
i got my danish passport in 2004 and my appearance change a lot, do you think that i will have problem travel or what i can do now ??

please what i can do ??
Have you not read any of the original responses on this three year old thread you resurrected?

Alternatively, contact the Danish passport office for a response.
chattamanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 20:59
captainkremmen
Forum Member

hi, how are you

please what i can do ??
You shouldn't have a problem, changes in appearance are normal and taken into account.

However, I presume the Danish authorities are similar to the UK, in that you can apply for a new passport with an updated photo. But here in the UK you have to pay for a new, full passport.
captainkremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09
Gusto Brunt
Forum Member

What if you were 45 stone when your passport photo was taken and you're now 11 stone?
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13
haphash
Forum Member

Unless you've had extensive plastic surgery I wouldn't worry. They know that it is likely people will change their hairstyles.

Facial recognition on scanning devices is done by measuring the distance between your features etc.
haphash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43
Porcupine
Forum Member

Jesus - I posted in this thread in 2008. 6 years ago.

I really need to get a life !!!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14
trphil
Forum Member

Jesus - I posted in this thread in 2008. 6 years ago.

I really need to get a life !!!
Have you still got the same photo on your driving licence?
trphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38
Julzei
Forum Member

I have a friend who changes her hair colour every month, she'd be paying a fortune if they charged you for changing your photo every time you changed your appearance.
Julzei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:10
Jean-Francois
Forum Member

Is anyone old enough to remember the old stiff dark blue British passports from the 60s-70s?
There were two spaces for a photo on the inside page, you could have your spouse's photo in one, so that you could travel together, or if your appearance had changed, you could have a more recent one in there.
My original photo showed me with short hair and freshly shaved.
In the 70s, to emulate bands like The Eagles etc. I had grown a full beard and moustache, and my hair was almost to my shoulders, I had a new photo like that in the second space.
One day I landed at Heathrow and produced my passport.
The immigration guy perused it for a couple of seconds, then said with a smile, "Don't think much of your missus, pal!"
Jean-Francois is offline   Reply With Quote