Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How hard is it to tune in a dish?

Old 16-07-2008, 23:43
SeanMcQ
Forum Member

I've got a spare Sky box and was thinking I could maybe set it up at my grandparents house as the Freeview reception they get is crap! However, they have no dish at the minute so I looked on Ebay and saw some dishes (60cm - not sure how good that is) for as little as 20 plus a couple of quid for an LNB and a bit of cable.

Is installing the dish and tuning something an amateur can achieve?
SeanMcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-07-2008, 23:55
daniel99
Forum Member

you will also need a signal meater to make sure the dish is pointing the right way.
daniel99 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 23:57
pauljs
Forum Member

you will also need a signal meater to make sure the dish is pointing the right way.

Meters can be bought from Maplin or ebay for under 20, while you can get a picture without one if you optimise the signal strength with a meter it will work for better in a rain shower. They are easy to use and mostly have an audio tone to help get the best signal.

60 cm is fine and generally more than enough for Sky Digital in the UK. Make sure it has the correct LNB. Many older Sky Analogue LNB's may not work.
pauljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:32
ProDave
Forum Member

No need for a meter at all if you are just doing it once.

Just use the signal meter built into the digibox.

all you have to do is use a portable tv so you can see the signal meter from the digibox while you adjust the dish. full instructions here:
http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/
ProDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:02
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Yes, and many do, it's just a question of been slow and patient - however, it is many times more difficult than a TV aerial, where you chuck it up, and then twiddle for maximum strength.

Like I said, patience is the key - the on-screen meter is all you need, as long as you can get a TV where you can see it.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:18
rai uno
Inactive Member

It's a very simple matter providing you are methodical and patient.

The key parameter to optimise is Quality rather than Strength.
rai uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 11:13
niall campbell
Forum Member

what note are you trying to achieve?

C sharp, perhaps
niall campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 13:23
StrandedonA303
Forum Member

I've alwats found it straight forward.

Turn the receiver and TV on. Select a popular channel. Check the correct angle for your location ( this can be done on the web). Point in the approximate direction (or use a compass) and move slowly until sound is heard, then adjust slowly to get a picture.

It's not rocket science. No meter needed; I've used one and didn't find it much help!
StrandedonA303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 13:54
linea
Forum Member

I've got a spare Sky box and was thinking I could maybe set it up at my grandparents house as the Freeview reception they get is crap! However, they have no dish at the minute so I looked on Ebay and saw some dishes (60cm - not sure how good that is) for as little as 20 plus a couple of quid for an LNB and a bit of cable.

you can get a regular 48cm mini-dish kit with, mounting bracket, lnb, cable, fittings and installation instructions for 19.99 including p+p from ebay
you can detect a signal from the tv display if you can see and hear the tv, but personally i found life a whole lot easier using a satellite finder meter which you can get for 8.90 including p+p from ebay

installing and tuning as dish is easily something an "amateur" can do, if you're comfortable with basic DIY like putting up shelves or installing a new light fitting, then installing a dish shouldn't be too much of a problem.
there's a pretty good guide to self-installation here
linea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 14:04
rai uno
Inactive Member

you can get a regular 48cm mini-dish kit .......
The OP is in Northern Ireland, so a "Zone 1" Dish won't be adequate.
Old 17-07-2008, 14:12
ian-d
Forum Member

...plus there's no such thing as a 48cm dish, the ebay seller hasn't been bothered to find out that its a 43cm dish.
ian-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:09
RadicalTomo
Forum Member

43cm are raven dishes, but triax are 48cm so he i selling right if it is a triax dish he is selling
RadicalTomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 17:06
SeanMcQ
Forum Member

Thanks guys, I have ordered a 60cm dish which comes with quad LNB and mounting brackets. Will give it a go in a few weeks and come back if I need any help
SeanMcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 17:23
Sam Radford.
Forum Member

After you've struggled for a few hours without a meter, you might find this useful:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMbbi2l9JA

Sam Radford. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 22:35
linea
Forum Member

The OP is in Northern Ireland, so a "Zone 1" Dish won't be adequate.
well considering my brother lives in Ballysillan, just north west of Belfast and gets perfectly good reception with a 48cm dish, i made the assumption that a zone 1 dish would be ok.
linea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 08:16
rai uno
Inactive Member

well considering my brother lives in Ballysillan, just north west of Belfast and gets perfectly good reception with a 48cm dish, i made the assumption that a zone 1 dish would be ok.
Lucky chap
Old 18-07-2008, 10:39
killie boys
Forum Member

When we are on holiday with our touring caravan we have a satellite dish which we tune in to our receiver all the time. We have managed to get it to work in many areas of the UK. We have an electronic sat-finder but find it much easier to use the on-screen signal tester in the services menu. If I can do it anyone can. You generally find that a south easterly direction will get it but just look around you and get an idea of where other dishes are pointing. When you are using this method you will obviously have to be able to see the screen or have a reliable source inside to keep you right. Also make sure that your angulation is right in the uk it is generally around 25 degrees.
Hope this helps and good luck.
killie boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:49
cowman
Forum Member

Hello glad you went for the Zone 2 dish it will be better in bad weather. As you live in Belfast my settings should not be far away. Take a look around at nearby dishes and try to get a line on a distant object, this will give you a rough idea where to point. When you have the dish on the wall swing it round to this direction and then set the elevation . Here in Ballycastle a spirit level placed across from top to bottom of the dish needs to read 1/2 a bead down as you are 50 miles south you may be near vertical. Connect dish to box and connect box to small TV using a scart lead. Move close to where the dish is , you will need to see it to set the dish, and select signal strength on the services menu. Now SLOWLY move the dish from side to side to find the signal. Once found you can alter the elevation to get the best signal. You are looking for 50% strength and quality. This sounds more complicated than it is, honest. Let us know how you get on.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote