Options

Should energy saving light bulbs smell?

::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
Forum Member
Okk, so we got them through the post thanks to british gas, but like when my dad put it in, there was this smell(this was about 3 - 4 hours ago) is this ment to happen? or is it something with the bulb?

Comments

• Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smell??
    Burnt smell ?
    Acrid smell ?
    I have them fitted throughout the house and have never experienced any smell from them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it dust burning?

Just had a smell of my light bulb and it smell's like a light bulb
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    It's a sort of strange smell, it's not buring or acid really, i'm not sure how to describe it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I think I have the same smell coming from mine (also got them free from British Gas), I assume it's just because they are new.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    We've got 2 lots of free Scottish Hydro bulbs at the moment, don't know why, this house has never had SH as it's power supplier, but they keep on coming and every other flat in the block gets them too at least once a week.

Anyway, the bulbs do not smell and are made by Phillips.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been using various energy bulbs (from Phillips to Wilko's bargin ones) for a few years, never noticed a smell with any of them.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Just spotted this thread. I too got a 'free' pack of four Philips energy saving light bulbs from British Gas, and guess what.... they smell when lit! I can best describe it as a fishy sort of smell - not pleasant.

Did a Google search and found reference to fish glue being used in the construction of the bulb. Had hoped that the smell would subside after a few hours use, but after about 60 hours use, the smell is still strong.

Haven't had the problem with other makes of energy saving bulb so shall just avoid Philips bulbs in future.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    They arent on dimmer switches, are they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New bulbs tend to have a strong chemical smell that goes away - I bet these free ones came straight from the supplier rather than sat in a warehouse where the smell would have disappeared on its own. As for a fishy smell? Maybe an electrical fault.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got Phillips energy savers in all my light fittings and never had any horrid smells. Perhaps its a bad batch.
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it isn't the "skirt" part of your light fitting which smells fishy. We have had this. Take out the bulb and unscrew the white "skirt". You can buy replacements in your local hardware store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it isn't the "skirt" part of your light fitting which smells fishy. We have had this. Take out the bulb and unscrew the white "skirt". You can buy replacements in your local hardware store.

Definitely the bulb :( Have replaced it with a GE bulb of the same wattage (manufactured in Hungary) and the smell disappears. Put the Philips bulb back in and the smell returns. Actually even switched off, if you smell the white plastic part of the Philips bulb there is a pronounced seaside/fishy smell to it. Checked the other bulbs in the box and they all smell.

There was no signs of the smell subsiding unfortunately, even after a good 60 hours use. Maybe as some say, it was a 'fishy' batch.
  • Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Scented light bulbs! I'm going to be rich!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine don't smell
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about smell but I got some free energy saving light bulbs from EDF and I've been sitting in the dark ever since. I guess that's how they save energy.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it come from the melamine when it gets hot, Some makes of 13 amp plugs used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have the same smell coming from mine (also got them free from British Gas), I assume it's just because they are new.

I would concur with this. We have had a 4/5 of boxes of free energy saving bulbs.(Don't ask:D). Some have smelt when new some not. Seems to depend on make.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm not sure if this would work but i read in one of those tip things in the magazines to put a drop of vanilla essence on your light bulb and when the bulb heats up it will make your room smel lovely (or maybe not if you dont like vanilla :o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    In answer to the original question - of course they shouldn't!

But some do. Certainly the 4 we received from npower do. And yes - they're made by Philips. Judging by the smell it seems the warehouse cat peed over them.

I'm sure the energy companies didn't buy a duff batch on the cheap to give away.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    We've got 2 lots of free Scottish Hydro bulbs at the moment

Be careful with those "Hydro" bulbs.

If you break them, you will flood the house. :D