Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sky versus Virgin - where should I go?

Old 26-08-2008, 11:46
Romanista
Forum Member

I've been a Sky subscriber for 2 years, and previously I was with NTL. I was glad to get rid of NTL because I had constant technical faults and they struck me as pretty amateurish in their customer service. However, I'm now tempted to go back to Virgin Media, and I'd be grateful for any advice as to which is the best provider for me.

The phone and broadband are not important to me - as long as they work, and they're cheap, I'm happy. On TV, I only ever watch films and sport. But I'm really tempted by the V+ or Sky+ box.

So, what I basically want is Setanta and a Plus box at a minimum - ideally, Sky Sports as well. I've rung both companies and Virgin can do it cheaper - but are there still technical issues with their service? Is there any chance I can get a Sky + box out of Sky on the cheap instead?
Romanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-08-2008, 13:32
Digital Fanantic

May I suggest you read this thread first and if you have any more questions, then post here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=861535
Old 26-08-2008, 15:33
goomba
Forum Member

I was glad to get rid of NTL because I had constant technical faults and they struck me as pretty amateurish in their customer service.
There have been changes in content available (some removals and some additions) in the past couple of years, but reliability and customer service has not really changed.
goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:55
Steven L Hunter

Basically if your interested in HD or sky1 then sky is your best bet but if your interested in just what you said your better off with Virgin.

If Virgin offered the same HD content as sky and also had the sky basics back it would wipe the floor with sky.
Steven L Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 18:38
Feed The Reaper
Forum Member

Sky for HD/Sky One
Virgin for VOD/Free repairs
Feed The Reaper is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 22:20
carl.waring
Forum Member

... and cheaper prices
carl.waring is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 11:49
Steve1977
Forum Member

We have Virgin and my parents have Sky and indeed had Sky for the many years I lived there.

In the old days I'd say that Sky was light years away but now they'r neck and neck by offering different kinds of service:

Essentially, if you want the best PVR out there and hundreds of hours of OnDemand stuff then get Virgin.

Alternatively if you want a TV service with a faster interface (to change channels) and Interactive features then get Sky.

Personally speaking I found the interactive features on Sky more than a gimmick really and although it's quicker to change channels. I really couldn't do without the ability to record 2 programs at once (whilst watching another) or have reams and reams of OnDemand stuff that I get with Virgin.

Havent' compared their Broadband services because whilst I think Virgin do a cracking job with this, so do Sky because my parents have never had issues and whenever I'v used it, its seemed fast enough when surfing the web.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 13:11
goomba
Forum Member

I really couldn't do without the ability to record 2 programs at once (whilst watching another)
Agreed it is useful. Mind you, I have never been in the position that I wanted to see 3 things on at the same time on 3 different channels that at least one of which is not available on Freeview or analogue. Must just be my usage.
Old 31-08-2008, 22:15
carl.waring
Forum Member

Thursday 11th, 9pm:
ITV2: ... Call Girl
Living: Grey's Anatomy
E4: Samantha Who

Now, of course, some are repeated, or on +1's but there's one example
Old 01-09-2008, 11:22
goomba
Forum Member

Thursday 11th, 9pm:

Both ITV2 and E4 are on Freeview though. As are ITV2+1 and E4+1. And VM and Sky also have Living+1.

It all comes down to taste and what channels people watch, but from my point of view I am surprised that people rave about the third tuner. Now if I could use it for planned recordings.....
Old 01-09-2008, 23:24
carl.waring
Forum Member

Both ITV2 and E4 are on Freeview though. As are ITV2+1 and E4+1. And VM and Sky also have Living+1.
Well I did mention +1s etc.

It all comes down to taste and what channels people watch..
Absolutely. I was just giving one example where I would find three tuners useful

Now if I could use it for planned recordings.....
I think you will be able to; eventually. At some point. Maybe
Old 03-09-2008, 02:19
Gawd
Forum Member

Thursday 11th, 9pm:

Good example, 2 fta Freeview channels and a paytv one, seeing as how you won't be watching all 3 at the same time, which channel will you be watching 'live, or 'almostlive'
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:21
Gawd
Forum Member

I think you will be able to; eventually. At some point. Maybe
But not yet?
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:47
BritishBeef2015
Forum Member

If you can have a dish put on your wall then id say go for Sky, Virgin are nothing but a terrible service provider, with one of the worst customer service lines EVER and they will try get more and more money out of you by adding costs to your bill that really should not be there, Virgin Media are a nightmare that i hope to leave VERY soon

Also with Sky you know you have loads of freeview channels for life with them, yet if virgin cut your tv off when they say you not paid something but you really have you dont even have all the channels on freeview.
Loads more Entertainment on Sky TV. Belive In Better , SKY
BritishBeef2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:59
bignoise
Forum Member

... and cheaper prices
As long as you don't count the ones that are more expensive.
bignoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:39
carl.waring
Forum Member

Which ones would those be then?

Basic Package:
Sky 28 (1 Mix + Phone)
VM 11 (M Package + Phone)

Top Package:
Sky 33 (6 mix + Phone)
VM 33 (XL TV + Phone)*

* Not that anyone pays the top price. Any discounts with Sky for just TV and phone?
Old 16-09-2008, 22:43
Sirius

It's easy for providers who only bundle products (Sky) to 'appear' to offer cheaper prices than those who offer products as both standalone and bundle (Virgin).

But no-one pays the full standalone price for everything they buy. Who gets offered buy one get one free on Pepsi and only takes one?
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 00:16
BritishBeef2015
Forum Member

Virgin Media is just the poor mans Sky, if you can not have dish on wall your stuck with cable which sucks . most virgin media workers need a good slap in the face
BritishBeef2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 00:21
Sirius

That's really funny because I have the largest satellite dish I can install without planning permission.

Yet, I recognise the value of products both to myself and others, can can recognise that Virgin offer a valuable service to some on some levels but not necessarily myself on all.

www.bt.com
www.sky.com
insert your own ISP link

There really are others out there if you REALLY want so why are you wasting our time with your Sky "believe in broadband limited to 16 meg" propoganda.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:48
tvtimes
Inactive Member

Belive In Better , SKY
OMFG
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:50
tvtimes
Inactive Member

most virgin media workers need a good slap in the face
What a silly and pathetic comment to make.
That just makes your posts look totally uncreditable.
Old 17-09-2008, 08:57
tvtimes
Inactive Member

That's really funny because I have the largest satellite dish I can install without planning permission.

Yet, I recognise the value of products both to myself and others, can can recognise that Virgin offer a valuable service to some on some levels but not necessarily myself on all.

www.bt.com
www.sky.com
insert your own ISP link

There really are others out there if you REALLY want so why are you wasting our time with your Sky "believe in broadband limited to 16 meg" propoganda.
I like that the fact that you are so well balanced and on the fence inregards to providers.
I don't get the blatant favourtism towards providers, they only provide you with a service and they take your money for the privellage. I would be a different story if they offered it you for free! I just don't get it at all. I have never said i hate Sky but people have just assumed i do because i am happy with VM and post the pros. But i have always said i am on the fence and that both companies offer good service but it's all about personal preference. I don't understand people who won't acknowledge that another person might be happy or unhappy and might have a different opinion of the service from themselves and they discredit other peoples opinions. Fair enough debate if you think some one is posting incorrect information but why start a VS thread?
Old 17-09-2008, 08:57
goomba
Forum Member

Which ones would those be then?

Basic Package:
Sky 28 (1 Mix + Phone)
VM 11 (M Package + Phone)

Top Package:
Sky 33 (6 mix + Phone)
VM 33 (XL TV + Phone)*

* Not that anyone pays the top price. Any discounts with Sky for just TV and phone?
You appear to have forgotten about broadband for some reason
Old 17-09-2008, 09:05
tvtimes
Inactive Member

You appear to have forgotten about broadband for some reason
Surely because that wouldn't be a fair comparison seeing as he hasn't mentioned Sky's bb either. Plus Sky offer their lower tier bb free to their tv customers.
Old 17-09-2008, 09:58
goomba
Forum Member

Surely because that wouldn't be a fair comparison seeing as he hasn't mentioned Sky's bb either. Plus Sky offer their lower tier bb free to their tv customers.
Well quite, and that is why I mentioned it. He mentioned the package that Sky do, but left out the fact that it comes with broadband.