Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Unusual gift ideas for my 90 year old nan?

Old 26-08-2008, 15:24
wemster
Forum Member

I just don't know what to get my nan - she doesn't like chocolates or flowers, she panics if you buy her clothes in case they don't fit her and she can't hold a book to read. My aunty just told me she's doing her a hamper with food and a bit of booze, which is what I was thinking of doing!

Nan's housebound so a balloon ride or something similar is definitely out of the question - although my dad did suggest zorbing!

Has anyone got any ideas of what to get her please - I'm totally stumped

TIA
wemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-08-2008, 15:33
Misshappy
Forum Member

Couldn't you put some money towards the hamper with your aunty? That way she would get an even more luxurious hamper and it would solve the problem of finding something yourself.

Otherwise how about dvds or music cds? If she doesnt like flowers, maybe a nice miniature rose bush or something that will last instead of flowers.

Is she fairly active? Maybe a meal out? or a trip to the theatre.
Misshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:33
LozPR
Forum Member

Hi,

I'd suggest a picture of you and the family all nicely framed, or a picture of you and her together. Everybody loves a nice picture

If you're feeling really adventerous maybe high-tech it up with a digital frame.

Hope this helps!
LozPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:40
Bid-tv
Inactive Member

How about an Edible Arrangment? www.ediblearrangements.co.uk

They're nice to look at, and they're something different and unique. The only problem is you feel a bit bad eating something so pretty.
Bid-tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:45
cosmo
Inactive Member

How about an original or reproduction newspaper from the year of her birth?

Here's an example but if you google 'old newspapers' you'll find more sites.

http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/default.aspx
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:01
wemster
Forum Member

There's some great ideas there - thanks everyone

The edible arrangements are amazing - I'm going to order myself some strawberries!
Old 26-08-2008, 16:02
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member

How about a Rampant Rabbit? That would be pretty unusual for a 90 year-old woman.
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:16
wemster
Forum Member

How about a Rampant Rabbit? That would be pretty unusual for a 90 year-old woman.

She'd probably think it was a whisk and use it to mix up her complan!
Old 26-08-2008, 16:23
welwynrose
Forum Member

my OH's nan is 94 so we always struggle when buying her pressies, what we've bought her over the past few years include a fortnum & mason hamper, a dozen pairs of american tan tights, a freeview box, a single cup kettle, a years subscription to her favourite magazine, my OH has also done her token to get odd jobs done round the house, like mow the lawn, clean the windows etc
welwynrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:41
derbyshire duck
Forum Member

I once bought an oldie a beanie baby she loved it praps because they are squishy in your hands
derbyshire duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:45
lambing

Bless her for reaching a ripe old age! (What's zorbing?!!)

How about a video/dvd of your family over the years? Or a photo album. Or a 'treasure' box, of momento's from all the family, including stuff the children have made, something really personal, and don't forget to include stuff from her childhood/younger years.
Old 26-08-2008, 19:02
pickledlily

How about a nice soft rug for her knees.
Old 26-08-2008, 19:28
winactive
Inactive Member

dammit - seeing the thread title, that's just what I was going to say
winactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:26
Neighbours_Fan
Forum Member

Does she have any grandchildren? Maybe you could get a big frame and put pictures of them inside it.
Neighbours_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:37
technologist
Forum Member

AS it is a special year - try to get a set of the coins of the year of her birth - like the newspaper shows that you are marking her special year.

it also gives lots of opportunities to talk about "going to the movies for a halfpenny " and similar reminisences .....

You might like to see if this is true?? http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....her_than_today

I hope it is a great day for your nan= you are so lucky to have her still with you - find out waht it was like for her growing up ...
technologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:57
alisonrose3764
Forum Member

My sister got my Dad a bird table which sits just outside the window - he loves it - we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.
Also what about some spoken word tapes - you can get great books on tape nowadays!
alisonrose3764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:11
wemster
Forum Member

Bless her for reaching a ripe old age! (What's zorbing?!!)
She rocks - she still has a wicked glint in her eye! Zorbing is when you roll down a huge hill in a big bouncy ball!

AS it is a special year - try to get a set of the coins of the year of her birth - like the newspaper shows that you are marking her special year.

it also gives lots of opportunities to talk about "going to the movies for a halfpenny " and similar reminisences .....

I hope it is a great day for your nan= you are so lucky to have her still with you - find out waht it was like for her growing up ...
That's a great idea, as she loves telling me how much everything used to cost! I am very lucky to still have her around - thank you

My sister got my Dad a bird table which sits just outside the window - he loves it - we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.
Also what about some spoken word tapes - you can get great books on tape nowadays!
That's a fantastic idea - she loves watching the birds and her carers wouldn't mind putting food out (I hope!)

Thankyou to everyone for your brilliant ideas - she will feel very flattered when I tell her we've been discussing her in 'cyberman space' (as she calls it!)

I shall be back in 10 years time to ask you for your ideas for her 100th.....
Old 26-08-2008, 21:47
ayrshireman
Inactive Member

A male stripper?...

Or one of those 'nice young men' to come and clean her house just in a thong?...

LOL
ayrshireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:59
Lululamb
Forum Member

My husbands nan was 90 this year and instead of presents we gave her gifts of our time. Her time gifts were things she always wanted to do or hadn't done for a long time and included a weekend in London (she never thought she get back there) with the whole family, a trip out to all the old places she used to live, a pamper session, girls night out at a drag queen club, a night at the theatre, a helicopter flight, a trip to the top of Blackpool Tower where she used to work and a day being a tourist in Blackpool, plus others. She hasn't had them all yet but so far has enjoyed every bit of her gifts and has cried many times.
Lululamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 22:04
Ja'mie King
Inactive Member

Does she have any grandchildren? Maybe you could get a big frame and put pictures of them inside it.
Who do you think is writing the thread about their *nan* ?
Ja'mie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 22:05
Ja'mie King
Inactive Member

A male stripper?...

Or one of those 'nice young men' to come and clean her house just in a thong?...

LOL
...while trying out her new rampant rabbit?
Ja'mie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 00:22
love[wtu]apart
Forum Member

A laptop with the homepage set to this thread!

On a serious note, what about something like music or a bracelet? You could look for / make a bracelet with a charm on it with a couple of photos inside. It would probably be easier for your nan to look at those photos on a bracelet rather than on a necklace
love[wtu]apart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 02:07
mallaka
Forum Member

Why not get her one of those digital photo frames with all the images of the family loaded onto it. I got one for my gran and she loved it. She gets to see all her family on one frame.
mallaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 14:29
:manson:
Inactive Member

It depends how unusual you want it to be, I suppose...
:manson: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 15:04
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member

we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.
I like putting my nuts on the table too.

The restaurant manager didn't like me doing it though.
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote