Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

olive oil/vegitable oil/sunflower oil?

Old 27-08-2008, 18:40
Zorbo
Forum Member

wat one is the better oil?

the least fattening, the most healthy?

wats the difference between all three oils?
Zorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-08-2008, 18:58
holbob
Inactive Member

You're on the Internet son, wiki all 3. Olive oil is the one I always go for, have it in my breakfast protein/oats milkshake. Good fats!
holbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:07
TWS
Forum Member

rapeseed is better for frying really healthier than vegetable oil and sunflower oil.

olive oil is primarily used on salads etc not for frying
TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:36
ruthykins

Olive oil can be used for anything even frying-try a fried egg in olive oil!

If you want to put it in a chip pan sunflower oil is best. They also do one for fry Again and Again, it has omega 3 in it. But if you want to be really healthy they do a spray oil that is 1 cal per spray (they also do that in olive oil).
Old 27-08-2008, 20:35
dynamoe88

Which is the least fattening?

Sorry I had to laugh at that one. They are all fats you see.

100g of any of them wil have about 90-95g of fat, so there's really little difference between them.

The only significant difference is the differing amounts of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat in each of them.

Since they are all vegetable oils there will be little saturated fat in all of them. That will be the least in all of them. Olive oil and rapeseed oil are quite high in monounsaturated fat and low to moderate in polyunsaturated fat. Sunflower oil and most other oils are low to moderate in monounsaturated fat and high in polyunsaturated fat.

Monounsaturated is thought to be the most beneficial for cholesterol, blood pressure and heart disease. But if you cook with oils at high temperature then it's thought that the benefits of the oils disappear as the oils go rancid and possibly carcinogenic with prolonged high heat. This is more so with saturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Therefore I suppose the answer imo is;

1) Olive Oil,
2) Rapeseed Oil,
3) Sunflower Oil,
4) Generic "vegetable oil" (although it's most likely to be sunflower oil, or mostly sunflower oil).

There's a lot of other alternatives as well. Such as Grapeseed oil and various nut oils.
Old 27-08-2008, 20:36
kungfupanda
Forum Member

There is a food and drink section on this forum you know, go there.
kungfupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 20:41
Carnivegan
Forum Member

Personally I wouldn't use any of them. Vegetable oils are unstable for cooking and produce toxins at high heat. Saturated fats are more stable, don't go rancid and taste fantastic too. I use coconut oil and lard and only use olive oil at room temp, never for cooking.
Carnivegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 12:07
moisie
Forum Member

In terms of olive oil, you've also got to consider the type you're using. Personally I wouldn't waste good extra virgin oil in instances where I was just using it to effectively lubricate a pan.
moisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 12:13
kizzie

Personally I wouldn't use any of them. Vegetable oils are unstable for cooking and produce toxins at high heat. Saturated fats are more stable, don't go rancid and taste fantastic too. I use coconut oil and lard and only use olive oil at room temp, never for cooking.
Me too I always cook with lard . I use coconut for stir fry etc and olive oil for salads etc
Old 28-08-2008, 12:16
Ajax.
Forum Member

I use Canola oil.
Ajax. is offline   Reply With Quote