Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Cheap online duty free cigarettes advice.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:22
barrychamplaign
Forum Member

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy approx 200 cigarettes a week online at one of the many duty free internet stores. Does anyone know if this is legal? If it is legal would I incur any additional tax costs above and beyond the cost of the product and delivery charges?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
barrychamplaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28
CitySlicker
Forum Member

It's legal to buy them online, but here's the catch - it's illegal to try and evade tax on them. You must pay the tax and import duty on them which can often cost you more than buying from a shop. This is because you're not buying them in person so you have no legal right to avoid tax on them.

If customs catch you out you'll have your items confiscated too if it's not obvious you haven't paid tax on them.
CitySlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28
Alt-F4
Inactive Member

They give you cancer apparently
Alt-F4 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:50
barrychamplaign
Forum Member

It's legal to buy them online, but here's the catch - it's illegal to try and evade tax on them. You must pay the tax and import duty on them which can often cost you more than buying from a shop. This is because you're not buying them in person so you have no legal right to avoid tax on them.

If customs catch you out you'll have your items confiscated too if it's not obvious you haven't paid tax on them.
Ok. Cheers for that mate.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53
Hathor

This is the most useful website for people wishing to smoke 200 cigarettes a week: http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/
Old 07-09-2008, 13:35
duffystev
Forum Member

It's illegal. I know i've had letters in the past from C&E and lost all my fags.

You would be cheaper getting a cheap flight from Liverpool to anywhere in EU and bring back your allowance of 3200.
duffystev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:23
barrychamplaign
Forum Member

This is the most useful website for people wishing to smoke 200 cigarettes a week: http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/
Thanks for the link. Just to clarify however. I said.. "I'm looking to buy approx 200 cigarettes a week.." But not all are for my personal use. I have a couple of buds who smoke, hence a three way caper. But hey, won't be going there now with the taxes involved.
Old 07-09-2008, 16:48
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

As it has already been posted, take a day trip to Belgium or go to Spain for a few days.

Most places in the country do day trips to Belgium for around 30. They normally go to Calais (Citie Europe) & then for those who want cheap smokes, stay on the coach to Adenkirk.

Have a look at this site, so you can check various prices around europe.

www.day-tripper.net

It is well worth doing, as not only do you get to visit a different country but also get cheap smokes.
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 13:13
TommyGavin76
Inactive Member

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy approx 200 cigarettes a week online at one of the many duty free internet stores. Does anyone know if this is legal? If it is legal would I incur any additional tax costs above and beyond the cost of the product and delivery charges?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Do you really need to ask if it's legal? If it was you'd be bombarded with advertising for it.
TommyGavin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:49
CitySlicker
Forum Member

Do you really need to ask if it's legal? If it was you'd be bombarded with advertising for it.
I'm guessing the OP probably knew this and was trying more to gauge how likely they are to get caught!
CitySlicker is offline   Reply With Quote