Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Cost of ringing Orange on 07973 100150

Old 19-09-2008, 17:50
tdenson
Forum Member

My daughter a while ago rang up Orange via 150 to put a call bar on her phone, because her daughter had been using it excessively. Just the other day she tried to ring O to have the bar lifted. We then discovered you can't even ring CS on such a phone. As a result we had to ring on 07973 100150 from a landline. When I said I objected to having to get hold of CS through an expensive mobile number he said "oh it's not a mobile number, it's a special landline connection for O". I then asked how much it cost and he said 35p per minute !!

Incidentally, the contract terminates on this phone next month and I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful plan for my grand daughter. However, as far as I can see Orange (and other operators) do not give you anything special they wouldn't give to a new subscriber. So what's the incentive to stay with them ?
tdenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-09-2008, 18:19
prking
Forum Member

If she uses the phone excessively then you would be better off putting her on PAYG so she has to take responsibility for her own actions.
prking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 18:22
tdenson
Forum Member

If she uses the phone excessively then you would be better off putting her on PAYG so she has to take responsibility for her own actions.
Thank you for that, but I was actually after information rather than parental guidance.
Old 19-09-2008, 18:23
chris20

there are some good deals on pay as you go asda 8p to call 4p to text or 3 that you get a set amount and with that you can pick text and mins.
chris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 18:34
flagpole
Inactive Member

you don't really get to decide what advice you're given. If you didn't want a discussion of ways of controling your grandaughters expenditure them why did you include all the back story. The payg route is good and reasonable advice at prking. We do from time to time get the odd thread my daughter ran up 1000 pounds on my phonebill.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 19:12
coopermanyorks
Forum Member

Thank you for that, but I was actually after information rather than parental guidance.

Well thats me outta here with that attitude
coopermanyorks is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 19:36
flagpole
Inactive Member

it's weird isn't it. It's like people think they've paid for advice or something. You do sometimes wonder why you bother.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:11
Rotara
Forum Member

LOL, and this is where the thread of humanity starts to unravel.
Rotara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:03
tdenson
Forum Member

LOL, and this is where the thread of humanity starts to unravel.
It's just that the last time I mentioned this same problem (in the context of finding an operator who could cap spending) instead of practical answers I got a series of sermons.
Old 19-09-2008, 21:08
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

I actually think prking was giving practical advice. Not preaching.
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:18
tdenson
Forum Member

I actually think prking was giving practical advice. Not preaching.
Yes, I know, but no one has actually addressed the only question I actualy asked which is whether there is any incentive at all to be a loyal customer at end of contract.
Incidentally, can anyone also confirm the point about 07973 100150 costing 35p per minute. I have googled that but drawn a blank.
Old 19-09-2008, 21:27
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

Here is your answer. Some people ARE given retention deals, the type of which are NOT given to new customers. For example, when negotiating my upgrade I stayed polite, and saddened that I could get a better Blackberry offer from Orange. As an incentive to stay with T-Mobile I have been given 10,000 off peak minutes a month to use. That most certainly is not an offer a new customer can have.

With regards to parents capping spend. U-Fix cuts off when the allowances are used. It can then only be used if topped up as a PAYG.
Old 19-09-2008, 21:34
Rachale
Forum Member

Yes, I know, but no one has actually addressed the only question I actualy asked which is whether there is any incentive at all to be a loyal customer at end of contract.
Incidentally, can anyone also confirm the point about 07973 100150 costing 35p per minute. I have googled that but drawn a blank.
i cannot confirm the number

however re the incentive thing - there is a similar thread here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=900473

The discussion is about t-mobile and new customers getting better deals but still maybe more help, though i don't think anyone would know a definitive answer for the question, my understanding is maybe if you go through too retentions, but even then it's touch and go.

Irrelevent to the question but you could look into sim pay monthly deals, like o2's simplicity
Rachale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 22:07
tdenson
Forum Member

As an incentive to stay with T-Mobile I have been given 10,000 off peak minutes a month to use. That most certainly is not an offer a new customer can have.
Not sure what that ia actually worth though - do the maths. To use that you would need to spend 5 hours per night on the phone. I struggle to use 600 mins total per month.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:13
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

Not sure what that ia actually worth though - do the maths. To use that you would need to spend 5 hours per night on the phone. I struggle to use 600 mins total per month.
It is worth 2000 a month. Flext call rate is 20p and minute.

I have never used more than 2000 of those minutes. Any call I make after 7pm or at the weekend comes out of those free minutes.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:22
prking
Forum Member

You asked for a cheap and cheerful plan for your grand-daughter, so I suggested one. I didn't make a comment on Orange's phone number and retentions as I have no experience of them. In the six years I've been on here I've never made a personal comment, but I can see why people do when you give attitude like that to a perfectly reasonable suggestion.
prking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 22:30
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

You asked for a cheap and cheerful plan for your grand-daughter, so I suggested one. I didn't make a comment on Orange's phone number and retentions as I have no experience of them. In the six years I've been on here I've never made a personal comment, but I can see why people do when you give attitude like that to a perfectly reasonable suggestion.
I think you are owed an apology.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:37
Oops_Carole
Forum Member

Irrelevent to the question but you could look into sim pay monthly deals, like o2's simplicity
Expects another curt remark from the Op as per post #3 ?
Oops_Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 22:46
tdenson
Forum Member

It is worth 2000 a month. Flext call rate is 20p and minute.

I have never used more than 2000 of those minutes. Any call I make after 7pm or at the weekend comes out of those free minutes.
Of course it's not worth 2000 per month e.g. if offered that plan (if you did not have it) at half that price would you pay for it ? I think not.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:51
tdenson
Forum Member

If you reread my OP I didn't actually ask about a plan for my grand daughter, it was a statement of fact that I was looking (on appropriate websites) for a cheap and cheerful plan. The only question I asked, as evidenced by the question mark, concerned whether I could get a better deal as an existing customer. There was no attitude in my response, only a statement of fact that you didn't answer the question I asked and I can't understand why everyone reacts so emotionally to a logical response.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:54
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

Of course it's not worth 2000 per month e.g. if offered that plan (if you did not have it) at half that price would you pay for it ? I think not.
Look, you asked a question and I answered. On a Flext tariff calls are charged at 20p per minute at anytime. I can use 10,000 minutes at off peak times.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:54
wallstreetcrash
Forum Member

T-Mobile U-Fix is they way to go.
wallstreetcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 22:55
Ricardodaforce
Inactive Member

If you reread my OP I didn't actually ask about a plan for my grand daughter, it was a statement of fact that I was looking (on appropriate websites) for a cheap and cheerful plan. The only question I asked, as evidenced by the question mark, concerned whether I could get a better deal as an existing customer. There was no attitude in my response, only a statement of fact that you didn't answer the question I asked and I can't understand why everyone reacts so emotionally to a logical response.
The fact that you cannot understand speaks volumes.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:55
tdenson
Forum Member

Yes, that looks quite interesting
Old 19-09-2008, 22:56
tdenson
Forum Member

Expects another curt remark from the Op as per post #3 ?
Suggest you look at my response