Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can you drive after general anesthesia?

Old 06-10-2008, 17:02
bigbruvvaluvvau
Forum Member

Im going into Hospital this week for a really minor operation but I am having to go under general anesthesia, my question is how bad are you likely to feel afterwards? Getting to the hospital is a short drive on a dual carriageway to me, but going via public transport is long, arduous and not going to be fun on the way home with a sore wound that has just been operated on. Ideally I would like to drive, and no one else I know can drive me, but I would like to know if it would be okay if I drove with a friend in the car also looking out for the road (its a very basic drive, maybe 4 turns the entire time)
bigbruvvaluvvau is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-10-2008, 17:04
annette kurten
Forum Member

if it`s day surgery don`t even attempt it.
annette kurten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:06
jon8769
Forum Member

No, not on the day of surgery. Get a mini cab home.
jon8769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:09
Miriams Sister
Forum Member

I felt wobbly after minor day surgery, and faint where I hadn't been able to eat.
Miriams Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:13
Dan Sette
Forum Member

The hospital should advise you that you shouldn't drive for 24hrs after anaesthetic
Dan Sette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:14
Kaylan
Forum Member

I would advise against it.
Kaylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:16
msjj
Forum Member

They also say that you shouldn't be left alone for 24 hours after...you shouldn't boil a kettle or stuff like that....
msjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:18
cellplex
Forum Member

They will advise you not to drive for at least 24hrs and as you say it's a quick trip with only 4 turns via the dual carriageway so go far a taxi. Also should you have an accident even if it's not your fault. your insurance may be invalidated since you're driving against medical advice (though perhaps a stretch for the insurance company to find out about the op)
cellplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:22
jack_d

Im going into Hospital this week for a really minor operation but I am having to go under general anesthesia, my question is how bad are you likely to feel afterwards? Getting to the hospital is a short drive on a dual carriageway to me, but going via public transport is long, arduous and not going to be fun on the way home with a sore wound that has just been operated on. Ideally I would like to drive, and no one else I know can drive me, but I would like to know if it would be okay if I drove with a friend in the car also looking out for the road (its a very basic drive, maybe 4 turns the entire time)

That would have to be a very good friend.
Old 06-10-2008, 18:15
Glamfan

Firstly, no - don't even think about driving.
Secondly - if you were to have a friend in the car to look out for you, have they passed their driving test? If not - no, it's not safe; if so - get them to drive you.
Old 06-10-2008, 19:01
sancheeez
Forum Member

No.

Taxi.

The hospital should have given you a flyer along these lines ....

http://www.oxfordeyehospital.nhs.uk/...naesthetic.pdf
sancheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 19:30
::Adam::
Forum Member

Do not driver after an opertation, to be honest i would leave it a few days!
::Adam:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 19:53
lalaland
Forum Member

I'd certainly advise against it.

As well as considering the safety aspects of it you could also be arrested for Driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs which could see you facing similar punishments to those carried with drink driving.

And it's worth pointing out that the drugs don't have to be classed as illegal substances for someone to commit this offence, any drug that you have taken, legal, prescribed or otherwise, can lead to your arrest.

Don't do it
lalaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 20:49
Book-Club_Babe
Forum Member

NO!!!!
Don't even think about it.
Book-Club_Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:08
pai pai
Forum Member

I can't decide whether you're selfish or stupid to risk not only your own life but your friends life and that of other innocent people on the road, or more probably on the pavement if you're going to conk out at the wheel. If he or she were any kind of friend then they'd pay for a taxi (if you're skint).

What about the back of cough medicines? Even childrens ones that warn about feeling drowsy as a side affect, you're having a general anesthetic fgs.
pai pai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:10
mr.ian
Inactive Member

You should be banned from driving for just thinking about it never mind asking.

Idiot.
mr.ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:11
Rugby Rose
Forum Member

No, it's not safe, not the same day. You won't be with it for quite some time after the operation. It takes a long time for the effects of the GA to wear off and you won't feel right for a good 24 hours.
Rugby Rose is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:15
Smerph
Forum Member

It's doubtful that you'll even be allowed to leave until 4 hours after the operation. You'll be continually monitored before you'll be discharged, but they'll be expecting someone to pick you up.

If it's NHS, expect to be waiting around for quite some time. Probably not even worth driving THERE if you're going to have to leave the car in the carpark.
Smerph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 22:29
sancheeez
Forum Member

You should be banned from driving for just thinking about it never mind asking.

Idiot.
Thats a bit strong.

If he/she has never had a general before, and it doesn't sound like the hospital have offered much in the way of advice, then how is he/she to know?

Would you rather he/she didn't ask and just decided to drive?
sancheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 22:34
spamdrew
Forum Member

A GA is a form of sedation, i.e. it reduces your ability to comprehend things in your environment and extends your reaction time.
So driving in this condition is dangerous to all involved.
There are many ways around this transport issue, including getting taxis, getting picked up or dropped off later/earlier, adding someone to your car insurance who can drive you (this often reduces your insurance bill!?!) or just take the bus!
The other option is seeing if the hospital can provide patient transport home, it's usually very long winded, and a bit of a random wait but free.

Do not drive! it's as bad as drink driving
spamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 22:59
Pinkster
Forum Member

No, don't do it. Get a taxi.
Pinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:08
bsplondon
Forum Member

Let us know when and where your going to be, so I know not to be in a few mile radius of you!
bsplondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:09
gorillathebino
Forum Member

I am getting a procedure done tomorrow under local anaesthetic and have been advised not to drive. Mostly because the procedure is on my foot. But when I worked in a local hospital all patients that had any form of anaesthetic were advised not to drive for 24 hours due to the risk involved.
gorillathebino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 23:11
twingle
Forum Member

Blimey I cannot believe you have asked the question?

Mind you saying that I did mow the lawn in the afternoon having had a D and C in the morning in my younger stupider days!! I only did it to get back at hubby who was being an A3se hole!
twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 00:51
lucky74
Inactive Member

Please please don't even consider driving for at least 24 hours after your operation. The hospital should tell you that you shouldn't. You should really have someone looking after you during that first 24 hours out of hospital as well or you'd actually be well advised to stay in hospital overnight. Get a taxi home at the very least but please, don't take unnecessary risks with your health and life or anyone else's.
lucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote