Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Connecting a New Gas Cooker with Bayonet connector

Old 28-10-2008, 20:57
alboy
Forum Member

We have just bought a new gas cooker and the shop advised us that we need a corgi registered fitter to install it. I can't understand why this is, as we have a bayonet type connector, which surely was made to interchange cookers. I 'plugged' in the last cooker ok, so why not now?
alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-10-2008, 21:08
Gogfumble
Forum Member

Well, if the life of you and your family is not important to you then fit it yourself. If it is pay for it to be fitted properly.

Even the smallest of gas leaks can kill.
Gogfumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:10
tink07
Forum Member

It's legal to have it fit by Corgi registered - If you didn't connect it properly and there was a gas leak, it could lead to an explosion that could affect not only your house but your neighbour(s). Best to get it done professionally just in case.
tink07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:13
the chimp
Forum Member

We have just bought a new gas cooker and the shop advised us that we need a corgi registered fitter to install it. I can't understand why this is, as we have a bayonet type connector, which surely was made to interchange cookers. I 'plugged' in the last cooker ok, so why not now?
Tell me how you will test for leaks ?

How will you test the working pressure ?

Are you up on any regulation changes ?

Do you know what the basic regs are for gas cooker installations the ones that arent listed in your instruction book ?

Finally connection points are required to be in different locations for different cookers so need pipework adjustments usually for the bayonet connection to be in the correct position.

Bayonet connections are for existing installations and can be used for disconnecting and reconnecting an existing cooker but not for a new installation by a non-competent installer.
the chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:17
the chimp
Forum Member

It's legal to have it fit by Corgi registered -
You only have to be corgi registered if its part of your business or you are doing it for reward, other than that anybody can do gas work as long as they are competant.
Old 28-10-2008, 21:23
misha06
Forum Member

If I understand you correct OP you have bought a new cooker with an identical attachment to your existing one.

This being the case to connect your new cooker it is simply (i use the word carefully) a case of unplugging one an plugging in another.

This is not the same as installing a gas installation which is why I believe the retailer 'advised' you to get it installed by a CORGI gas fitter as opposed to being more catagorical

The law is quite clear that any gas installation has to be carried out by a CORGI engineer, however I dont think this applies here.

Having said this, it is best to err on the side of caution I would ring around a few engineers to get some quotes.

It may conspire that you have a latent defect that is not apparent to the layman.
misha06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:25
alboy
Forum Member

Thanks, point taken. I won't be doing it myself this time.
alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:50
the chimp
Forum Member

If I understand you correct OP you have bought a new cooker with an identical attachment to your existing one.
Cookers do not come with the hose fitted.

This being the case to connect your new cooker it is simply (i use the word carefully) a case of unplugging one an plugging in another.

This is not the same as installing a gas installation which is why I believe the retailer 'advised' you to get it installed by a CORGI gas fitter as opposed to being more catagorical

The law is quite clear that any gas installation has to be carried out by a CORGI engineer, however I dont think this applies here.
It does apply here as its a new installation, you clearly have no idea about the rules on gas installations so should not be attempting to give advice on these situations.

A cooker installation is NEVER a case of simply disconnecting one and reconnecting another one, tests must be done and professional equipment used to do these tests, and to buy what you need would more than likely cost as much as having it done properly, not to mention the actual training needed to know how to use it.
Old 28-10-2008, 21:58
Harry Barry

It will only cost about 20 quid...no worries!
Old 28-10-2008, 21:59
the chimp
Forum Member

If it does only cost that I wouldnt use them.
Old 28-10-2008, 22:44
Gracehater
Forum Member

You're kidding right??? I asked a firm locally (who I might add I knew through work, and we did a LOT of business with them) and they said 80. No 'mates rates' or owt.

It seems like a lot of money, but if you asked all those families who'd lost loved ones in fires and exploasions due to shonky fittings, they'd pay in a heartbeat I'm sure. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
Gracehater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:18
muffin789
Forum Member

There was a recent law change that means all cookers have to be installed by CORGI fitters - my landlords sent me a load of paperwork on it when I moved in to my new flat in June.

Luckily for me, they sorted mine for me as it done as part of my moving in package. But my neighbours bought a new gas cooker a few days after they moved in and were charged 50 to have it connected.

For info, also as a result of this legislation change, you MUST have the instructions and manufacturors biooklet to show the CORGI fitter when you have a cooker fitted - even a second hand one - or by law they aren't allowed to fit it. I am not sure if this applies to tenants as opposed to home owners, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance!
muffin789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:33
Harry Barry

Id get a few quotes if I were you

but if it is 80 quid, isnt that worth safe guarding you and your family?
Old 29-10-2008, 19:09
the chimp
Forum Member

There was a recent law change that means all cookers have to be installed by CORGI fitters - my landlords sent me a load of paperwork on it when I moved in to my new flat in June.
There is no law that says cookers must be fitted by corgi registered fitters unless it is being fitted as part of their business or for reward, other than that the law only states that whoever fits it must be competent just the same as any other gas appliance, the only recent change to cookers is that all burners must have an fsd if fitted in a multi dwelling building.

For info, also as a result of this legislation change, you MUST have the instructions and manufacturors biooklet to show the CORGI fitter when you have a cooker fitted - even a second hand one - or by law they aren't allowed to fit it. I am not sure if this applies to tenants as opposed to home owners, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance!
Having the instruction book for a gas appliance installation has been in for many many years and again is not a recent thing and applies to all installations not just tenancies.
Old 29-10-2008, 19:30
muffin789
Forum Member

There is no law that says cookers must be fitted by corgi registered fitters unless it is being fitted as part of their business or for reward, other than that the law only states that whoever fits it must be competent just the same as any other gas appliance, the only recent change to cookers is that all burners must have an fsd if fitted in a multi dwelling building.

Having the instruction book for a gas appliance installation has been in for many many years and again is not a recent thing and applies to all installations not just tenancies.
I stand corrected.
muffin789 is offline   Reply With Quote