Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 23-10-2012, 10:53
bookaddict
Forum Member

Surprised to see negative comments about Norman Wisdom. My old boss and his wife went on a cruise, and Norman was on the same cruise. (He was there as a passenger, not as an entertainer.) They said he was absolutely lovely, very nice with everyone who came up to him, and had time for them all.

Sorry to hear that Ade Edmondson is not as nice in real life. I always thought that he seemed such a lovely guy. Obviously, he must be a good actor!!

Someone I know met Toby Stephens. They had just seen him on stage in a play and waited to meet him at the stage door afterwards. They said he was lovely, humble, and signed lots of autographs, and chatted with the people there.
bookaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-10-2012, 20:41
SirMickTravis
Forum Member

Waiting in the rain ? Seems a bit pointless to me but each to his or her own ! It is voluntary, though.

Some years back was waiting for booked taxi at the National Theatre. When a taxi arrived, we'd been waiting for ages..about half an hour and the driver called out my name I answered clearly and loudly, " Yes, that's us". Neil Kinnoch and Glenys his wife who were with some friends and were all standing right next to us. They'd not long got there...just a minute or so.

With that, Glenys strode forward towards the taxi. " Come on ! ", she said to the friends. " Oi !", I said loudly. " You know, that's not your taxi !". She ignored me. Neil Kinnoch called her back. " No, Glenys. We'll call a cab or walk back ". I thanked him. I'm Welsh as well but she'd have left anyone, there !

I met her on a few other occasions and thought that she was very fond of herself indeed. He however didn't have any airs and graces.
I happened to see them out and about once. They were in a bookshop and while Neil wandered about looking at what was on the shelves, Glenys spent about half an hour arguing with the customer assistant because they wouldn't accept her card for some reason. It amused me because the guy looked pretty young and probably had no idea who they were. Always thought she seemed a terrifying person.
SirMickTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 23:15
Stockingfiller
Forum Member

I happened to see them out and about once. They were in a bookshop and while Neil wandered about looking at what was on the shelves, Glenys spent about half an hour arguing with the customer assistant because they wouldn't accept her card for some reason. It amused me because the guy looked pretty young and probably had no idea who they were. Always thought she seemed a terrifying person.
In earlier days before she got a political post, she just used to sit there saying nothing, looking nervous. Then her persona changed ! Not scary- just up self !
Stockingfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 23:38
Terry Wigon
Forum Member

A couple of months ago, mum and i were in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery here in Glasgow.

As we came round the corner into one of the galleries, I saw a woman that I thought looked familiar. I couldn't place her, but thought that she was an actress.

Before I knew what was happening, my mum's voice boomed out "I know your face, where would it be from?" The woman was a wee bit taken aback, but told us that she was an actress - what would we have seen you in? Well, she says, I've done theatre, film, and TV - including Heartbeat!!!!! Mum's favourite!

When she said that, both me and mum remembered that she was the police woman who kept chasing Phil Bellamy!!!! We discussed what a lovely show Heartbeat was, and how much mum missed it but always watched the repeats on ITV3.

The lady's name is Georgie Glen and she was very gracious with us despite having her pleasant cultural afternoon disturbed by a Heartbeat fan!

PS on the way out of the gallery, mum was talking about how lovely she was and how it had made her afternoon meeting her. But - mum confessed that she nearly said "I know your face - where from? - Do you go to the bingo in Parkhead!!!!!"
She's in Waterloo Road now isn't she? I happened to see a bit of it and she's s teacher who's (wrongly, I think) accused of bullying. She crops up in quite a few things and I do think she has 'presence' in whatever she does.
Terry Wigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 23:55
80sfan
Forum Member

Has anyone ever met anyone from the QVC shopping channel? Would be interested to hear what they are like off-screen.....
80sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 14:48
fluffymingo
Forum Member

I taught Gemma Bissex when I was training - she was very nice but she did try to sell her autograph for 10p on the playground! She had just got the part in EE at the time.

I nearly killed Stephen Fry at the Embankment station - it was Gay Pride and I was looking for my friend. I thought if I went on the bridge I would have more chance of spotting him. It worked, but in my haste to get back down the stairs I pushed into Mr Fry, almost sending him backwards. I was firstly apologetic and then startstruck, he seemed rather amused.

Then there was the time I saw a woman I thought I knew in the Disney Store. I couldn't quite place her, thought she might be a friend of my mum. I went up to her and said hello etc. She turned and said hello, looking a little confused. It then dawned on me that it was Pauline Quirke!

Oh, and I stepped on Dean Gaffney in a nightclub. He was laying on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I remember my flatmate and I had a row about who he was in EE. We were a bit worse for wear!

Another one - Nigel Havers picked me up and gave me a kiss when I fell over a chain link fence. I was three at the time. He was playing golf at the course where my dad worked. I still have a bit of a crush on him.
fluffymingo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 15:04
wallster
Forum Member

Has anyone ever met anyone from the QVC shopping channel? Would be interested to hear what they are like off-screen.....
I thought this thread was about celebrities
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:02
dragonclouds
Forum Member

I knew Kimberley Walsh pre-Girls Aloud and she was an absolute bitch. She was the class bully at school.
dragonclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:07
Terry Wigon
Forum Member

I knew Kimberley Walsh pre-Girls Aloud and she was an absolute bitch. She was the class bully at school.
Proof that people don't always get what their behaviour deserves.
Terry Wigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:39
strictlyfloss
Forum Member

Post this on one of the SCD love-in threads, lol
strictlyfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:40
spamvicious
Forum Member

What a let down to be like that, funny thing is I've seen loads of pics and videos of Rik Mayall greeting fans with all the cheeky niceness in the world. And I always got the impression that Ade was the nicer of the 2, certainly not so now.
See my earlier post about Rik, he's beyond nice. His whole egotistical/arrogant character is exactly that
spamvicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:42
dragonclouds
Forum Member

Post this on one of the SCD love-in threads, lol
I'm scared of getting bashed! Her sister Sally (who was at that point the famous sister because she was in Emmerdale for a couple of years) is LOVELY. The pair of them taught dance and drama and Sally was brilliant and engaging and Kimberley sat there and filed her nails and looked bored
Old 24-10-2012, 18:45
InNoctem
Forum Member

Just a random shot, but I realized it's actress Dervla Kirwan's birthday today.

Has anyone had an encounter with her?
InNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:46
dragonclouds
Forum Member

Oh and I know someone who met Ainsley Harriott and he kept commenting on her boobs to other people and was a total creep. He offered to make her his mistress. Um. Yes.

Allegedly.
Old 24-10-2012, 18:47
strictlyfloss
Forum Member

I'm scared of getting bashed! Her sister Sally (who was at that point the famous sister because she was in Emmerdale for a couple of years) is LOVELY. The pair of them taught dance and drama and Sally was brilliant and engaging and Kimberley sat there and filed her nails and looked bored

I'm not scared - would you like me to do it for you?!
strictlyfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:01
saddos
Inactive Member

Yes well we met Josie Darby she is full of herself we saw her in Boots in town she didnt sign autergref she thinks shes better than every one else but shes not cant stand her and wye does she think shes special she isnt
saddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:05
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Yes well we met Josie Darby she is full of herself we saw her in Boots in town she didnt sign autergref
Is an 'autergref' a posh person signing their name for someone's collection?
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:25
QuiteInterested
Forum Member

Nice:

Derren Brown. One of the nicest guys I've ever met. Seriously. He really is a lovely bloke.
Will Young, again, great fella. Met him a few times and he's fab.
Someone mentioned Simon Cowell earlier in the thread. He's a nice guy. (Not shy with his fags either, which is always a bonus in my book, lol)

Not Nice:

Eddie Izzard. Having said that, I haven't spoken to him for a few years (because I found him such an asshole) so he might have changed and became a nicer person. But I doubt it.
QuiteInterested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:32
Gloria Fandango
Forum Member

Just a random shot, but I realized it's actress Dervla Kirwan's birthday today.

Has anyone had an encounter with her?
How did you realize that??
Gloria Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:36
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Someone mentioned Simon Cowell earlier in the thread. He's a nice guy. (Not shy with his fags either, which is always a bonus in my book, lol)
Just shy of letting the media know of them...
Old 25-10-2012, 15:01
InNoctem
Forum Member

How did you realize that??
Came across one of those "Which celeb was born today" on facebook, or was it twitter.

She's one of those obscure actress but I liked her in this year's BBC1 Blackout. Seeing a lot of well-known actors being mentioned, I was curious as to the lesser known ones.
InNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 15:04
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Yes well we met Josie Darby she is full of herself we saw her in Boots in town she didnt sign autergref
Ah, I've got it! An 'autergref' is a French person signing their name for someone's collection.
Old 25-10-2012, 17:06
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

I stopped driving people around for a living about 12 years ago and have forgotten a lot of them but the ones that I do remember who stood out are ........

Joanna Lumley ...... lovely, sweet person, charming.
Richard Wilson ...... the opposite to Victor Meldrew, friendly.
Brian Blessed .... big guy, big voice, big heart.
Mariella Frostrup ...... gorgeous in all respects

and the not nice .....

Dennis Waterman
Nick Hewer

I could comment on these two but I have nothing nice to say.

Edit: just remembered another one, Sinead O'connor who was surprisingly quite ordinary (at the time)
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 17:15
Pizzatheaction
Forum Member

Admittedly, I haven't met very many celebrities, but I can't recall ever having any unpleasant experiences.
Pizzatheaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 18:43
80sfan
Forum Member

Yes well we met Josie Darby she is full of herself we saw her in Boots in town she didnt sign autergref she thinks shes better than every one else but shes not cant stand her and wye does she think shes special she isnt
She's pretty much a has-been, so has no right to be like that - I'm surprised anyone would even recognise her now
80sfan is offline   Reply With Quote