Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 07-09-2013, 20:22
Bandita
Forum Member

The two nicest I have met were The Queen and Rod Stewart
Oh I met Rod Stewart years ago in Hong Kong, he was very nice.
Bandita is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-09-2013, 20:23
Anita_Edmunds
Forum Member

The day I encountered him, he was standing in the foyer of the NFT in the middle in front of the box office queues dressed in very clean but deliberately scruffy clothes, making eye contact with everyone & smiling & nodding at them - seeking everyone out by drifting around to be in their line of sight - it was quite funny...There are many explinations and it could have easily been an off day (or every day behaviour).
Anita_Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50
KathrynHenderso
Forum Member

Rob Lowe is nice.... Jennifer Lopez is not.
KathrynHenderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:57
Anna.Nuttall
Forum Member

OOoh do tell about Jennifer Lopez.
Anna.Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 19:07
newgrange
Forum Member

I was in Singapore airport about 13 years ago and waiting to check-in for my onwards flight to Australia, when who do I see but Daniel O'Donnell. As we were in the middle of a number of flights checking in for India I was thinking to myself, it's probably only himself and myself here who know who he is.

Anyway, this Indian lady suddenly became very distressed, searching through her bags, saying 'passport, passport'. Daniel was over like a shot, sat her down, tried to calm her and got her to go through her bag carefully. Of course she found her passport and Daniel followed up with a cup of tea for her.

I know people say a lot about 'wee Daniel' and he has this nicer than nice public persona, but that day he was the only person who helped that lady and not in an 'I'm Daniel O'Donnell, look at me' kind of way. he just disappeared off into the crowd afterwards.

I wouldn't be a fan of his music at all, but the guy genuinely seems like a nice man.
newgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 20:52
unclekevo
Forum Member

I was in Singapore airport about 13 years ago and waiting to check-in for my onwards flight to Australia, when who do I see but Daniel O'Donnell. As we were in the middle of a number of flights checking in for India I was thinking to myself, it's probably only himself and myself here who know who he is.

Anyway, this Indian lady suddenly became very distressed, searching through her bags, saying 'passport, passport'. Daniel was over like a shot, sat her down, tried to calm her and got her to go through her bag carefully. Of course she found her passport and Daniel followed up with a cup of tea for her.

I know people say a lot about 'wee Daniel' and he has this nicer than nice public persona, but that day he was the only person who helped that lady and not in an 'I'm Daniel O'Donnell, look at me' kind of way. he just disappeared off into the crowd afterwards.

I wouldn't be a fan of his music at all, but the guy genuinely seems like a nice man.
His wife was on an RTE reality series managing a local GAA club a few years ago. Apparently she wasn't nice but he was.
unclekevo is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48
Squibbles
Forum Member

Usually the ones I have met I always end up wanting to strangle them. Except for a few exceptions.

However I did get very star struck when I met Maureen O'Hara a few years ago. Although very frail now she was truly a wonderful lady and had time for everyone even though she must have been tired. Totally a different class from other famous people I have met.
Squibbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 00:16
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Jennifer's had such a bad reputation for years now for being difficult and demanding.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26
21stCenturyBoy
Forum Member

Not super famous but when during a holiday in the Andalusia region of Spain I sat on a beach next to Monet Mazur (US actress from films like Austin Powers and The House Bunny)

She overheard me talking about how sinister the ice cream van sounded, and she joined in and was really very engaging. Her little toddler son kept walking over to play with the wristbands on my arm, and she was very apologetic! Her husband, Alex Da Rakoff, (he directed Calcium Kid) was with her, and he was also very chatty- and managed to bend my ear for ten minutes about Arsenal (even though I don't really follow football!)

It was only a chance meeting but, considering they are minor stars in Hollywood, they were surprisingly down to earth and warm!
21stCenturyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 20:58
katanderson
Forum Member

I am in Nashville for a couple of months working on my music. Today I met Keith Urban (country-rock singer/songwriter), who was with his wife Nicole Kidman.

So I go into Starbucks this morning for coffee and songwriting and as I headed to get the drink I ordered I saw Keith so I went over to say hello. He was really friendly, asked me what my name was and welcomed me to town. Nicole was sitting at the table already so I didn't want to bother her. Keith was lovely though. Really kicking myself for not asking him for music biz advice!

It made my day meeting someone whose music I am a fan of, and I definitely wasn't expecting to meet anyone well known in my entire time here never mind in the first week
katanderson is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 12:34
Whataday
Forum Member

Met the cast of Birds of a Feather last week who were so lovely and have a genuine affection for each other.

Have met Cilla and she is indeed as vile as others here make out.
Whataday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:12
woot_whoo
Forum Member

Usually the ones I have met I always end up wanting to strangle them. Except for a few exceptions.

However I did get very star struck when I met Maureen O'Hara a few years ago. Although very frail now she was truly a wonderful lady and had time for everyone even though she must have been tired. Totally a different class from other famous people I have met.
I've read that a lot of old Hollywood stars were almost fanatically thoughtful and kind to fans. They seemed to know and appreciate that their fans were the ones who kept them in business. Joan Crawford, despite the reputation she has since gained as a mother, was apparently enormously appreciative of her fans.

Met the cast of Birds of a Feather last week who were so lovely and have a genuine affection for each other.

I've heard conflicting things about Lesley Joseph - but do tell about Cilla. I never tire of reading the stories about her; it seems that no one has much nice to say about her. Yet she is constantly in work and still seems to enjoy 'national treasure' status.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:48
purplecatz
Forum Member

Have met Lesley Joseph and Linda Robson, both lovely, not met Pauline Quirke

2,000 th post
purplecatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:56
Whataday
Forum Member

I had the 'honour' of looking after Cilla as a runner on a TV show she was appearing on as a guest about five years ago.

I was told before she entered the room that I was not to speak to her directly and everything had to go through her PA. I was told to refer to her as Miss Black.

She entered the room wearing dark glasses and a very stern face, choosing to ignore me. As soon as I got the chance I said "Can I get you a tea or coffee Cilla?"

I smiled but she continued to blank me and asked her PA if she could have a sparkling water, a request to which I was only too happy to oblige(!)

She spent the next hour in my presence being generally unpleasant and rude.

Needless to say I wasn't a runner for long. I was young, cheeky and generally got away with it. Decent guests would admire my nerve and warm to me. I didn't detect an ounce of warmth from Miss Black.

I have a few other stories from my time working there. The nicest and most grounded person I met was Charlotte Church. The rudest person in my experience was Kate Winslet, and that really disappointed me.
Old 22-09-2013, 15:03
woot_whoo
Forum Member

I had the 'honour' of looking after Cilla as a runner on a TV show she was appearing on as a guest about five years ago.

I was told before she entered the room that I was not to speak to her directly and everything had to go through her PA. I was told to refer to her as Miss Black.

She entered the room wearing dark glasses and a very stern face, choosing to ignore me. As soon as I got the chance I said "Can I get you a tea or coffee Cilla?"

I smiled but she continued to blank me and asked her PA if she could have a sparkling water, a request to which I was only too happy to oblige(!)

Needless to say I wasn't a runner for long. I was young, cheeky and generally got away with it. Decent guests would admire my nerve and warm to me. I didn't detect an ounce of warmth from Miss Black.

I have a few other stories from my time working there. The nicest and most grounded person I met was Charlotte Church. The rudest person in my experience was Kate Winslet, and that really disappointed me.
Yeesh - she does apparently like to communicate through her PAs. I don't know how they can handle the job! One question: did she speak in her Scouse accent or does she (as I've heard before) reserve that only for when she needs to pretend to a TV audience that she's a salt of the earth type?
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 16:40
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Even more rude than Miss Black?!
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 22:50
dorydaryl
Forum Member

She was probably hung over..about five years ago I saw her appear on This Morning and she seemed utterly sozzled! No excuse whatsoever for how she is seen to behave with people she considers beneath her, though.

Would love to see her and Julie Goodyear in a ruck, lol!
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 01:10
JoshWilliams08
Forum Member

I refuse to believe that Jarvis Cocker is attention seeking, I've met him a few times now and he's always interested in you as a person. I remember the first time I met him and I got him to sign my favourite Pulp album, he asked my name, how long I'd been waiting, if I was looking forward to the show etc
JoshWilliams08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 03:02
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I had the 'honour' of looking after Cilla[...]I was told to refer to her as Miss Black[...]I said "Can I get you a tea or coffee Cilla?"
I'm glad you seemingly escaped unscathed!
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:10
JamieHT
Forum Member

I've read that a lot of old Hollywood stars were almost fanatically thoughtful and kind to fans. They seemed to know and appreciate that their fans were the ones who kept them in business. Joan Crawford, despite the reputation she has since gained as a mother, was apparently enormously appreciative of her fans.

I've heard conflicting things about Lesley Joseph - but do tell about Cilla. I never tire of reading the stories about her; it seems that no one has much nice to say about her. Yet she is constantly in work and still seems to enjoy 'national treasure' status.
I was at a Theatre event where Lesley Joseph was and she was definitely trying to make sure as many people as possible saw her. Doesn't make her a bad person. Her daughter was he spitting image of her.

Might as well tell my other experiences. Not very interesting but still.

When I worked at a supermarket, we had a few celebs come in. David Suchet was lovely and just seemed a normal person.

Shaznay from All Saints was also lovely (I never liked her band) but she had awful skin.

Duncan from Blue was horrible to all staff and extremely up himself. I also walked past him once in the same chain of supermarket in a different location and happened to catch his eye and the look he gave me would scared Medusa.

The following are people I've met in random locations.

Amanda Redman was nice from what I remember - I was only about 7 when I met her.

Michelle Collins has smiled at me on different occasions but it seemed false - smiling without using her eyes!

Terri Dwyer was up for a laugh at the Theatre a few weeks ago.

Will post anymore if I think of them.
JamieHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 10:52
katmobile
Forum Member

I refuse to believe that Jarvis Cocker is attention seeking, I've met him a few times now and he's always interested in you as a person. I remember the first time I met him and I got him to sign my favourite Pulp album, he asked my name, how long I'd been waiting, if I was looking forward to the show etc
Attention seeking doesn't necessarily mean he isn't nice.
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:30
daisydee
Forum Member

Reminds me of the time when I was in the presence of one of the nicest in show biz and one of the frostiest.

As I have said earlier on this thread, Gene Pitney was the nicest guy imaginable. Warm, friendly and grounded. On one occasion, after a show, we were in the lounge of the hotel where Gene was staying along with others on the tour - Billy J Kramer, Mike Hirst (of the Springfields) Cilla Black and others that I can't recall right now. Gene, Mike, myself & 2 friends were sitting together when Cilla arrived, Gene called for her to come & sit with us, but she sat on the other side of the lounge, and as each entertainer arrived, she called them over to sit with her. They looked at Gene's group on one side & Cilla's on the other, not knowing who to sit with - but Cilla insisted that everyone sat with her.
The roady said that she had to be the centre of attention and did not like the 'competition' from me and my friend. Their nickname for her was 'Chilla'.
daisydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:47
laska
Forum Member

Ralph Fiennes- very unassuming and down to earth.
laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:35
Whataday
Forum Member

I'm glad you seemingly escaped unscathed!
At the time she was out of favour at the company I was working for. And also, I could hardly get a bollocking for asking someone politely if they'd like a tea or coffee.

Her friend Paul O'Grady is a lovely guy though, really down to earth. I'd be very surprised if he takes any crap off her.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:16
mirrormirror
Forum Member

Cilla has got a really bad reputation on the old internet it seems.

Has anyone got anything nice to say about her?

She was on Room 101 and she picked people who say 'do you know who I am?" for her room 101!
mirrormirror is offline   Reply With Quote