Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 04-11-2013, 23:20
rachelgata
Forum Member

My cousin used to work for the Sunday Express magazine in the eighties and said a real horror to interview was Maureen Lipman, she was totally arrogant and as soon as the interview ended, walked off without a word of thanks. She said her next big interviewee, Terry Wogan, was OK but very full of himself and rather pompous, although he was nicer than Ms Lipman. I do remember her interviewing a few politicians and said John Major, the foreign secretary, was a total gentleman and very polite, Paddy Ashdown came across as rather earnest and short on laughs, and Neil Kinnock was witty and quite engaging.
I haven't met John Major myself, but I'm reminded of a tale my friend's mum told me back in the early 90s while he was PM. She'd been at a party he was at, and she told us what a charmer and a ladies' man he was, in a nice way - very charismatic etc. and very flirtatious. My friend and I guffawed at this as at the time his popular image was Mr Dullard (remember the grey Spitting Image puppet?). Of course, When it all came out about Edwina Currie etc. we could at least laugh and say we'd known all along he was a bit of a lad!
rachelgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-11-2013, 23:29
Pizzatheaction
Forum Member

I've probably posted this before but I know someone who used to live and work in Manchester, and through their work they met a few celebrities: various Coronation St cast members (apparently, William Tarmey was very polite and friendly), various footballers, and Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson, who were both complete gentlemen.

Craig Cash and Phil thingy (Mealy? ) from Early Doors are very nice, too.

Apparently, one local pop star was a bit rude, and another was thoroughly unpleasant, asking women if they "wanted" a certain part of his body in nightclubs.
Pizzatheaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41
wilehelmas
Forum Member

Awww he was good in Common as muck,great show.When he popped up years later in EE I thought he'd improved,my Mum still wont let it drop,his wife is now an actress in something called paradise at the mo and she nudges me and said "missed your chance there" .Last I heard he lived in America
Oh god, sorry for the O/T but yes that was a great series. Loved it, loved the theme tune. Remember when the council binwagon blew up with the car battery in it, lol? Cabbage leaves all over the Propre carpark.

What a hoot.

Proper telly programming that was.
wilehelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 15:27
Glenn A
Forum Member

One of my friends, who was involved in union work, met Ed Miliband and said he was a complete prat who wouldn't make eye contact with her and seemed completely disinterested in what she was saying.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:01
Batman1989
Forum Member

New to this place...... just spent the whole night reading the entire 152 pages ..... I am not too keen on meeting celebrities, and only wanted to find out which ones were nasty....... but it was so addictive to read ha ha.

Cilla black really is hated by the general public isn't she? WOW

I haven't met many.... but being brought up with The Kinks , I have met nearly every band member... either at Konvention's or concerts

1. Ray Davies..... BRIEFLY met him twice, he shook my hand both times I asked how he was and he replied "I'm good" . Ray is supposed to be really down to earth and I have heard from nearly every fan that he takes time to talk to them. My dad works at the airport and has taken Ray's luggage down a few times and has had nice chats with him. My dad has also met him at concert and said Ray remembered him the second time and told my dad "I never forget a face" Ray seem s to remember most of his fans.

2. Dave Davies (the brother) ... supposed to be nice and as polite as Ray, as my dad and other fans have told me .....but I met him once when I was about 6 at Glastonbury (around mid 90's) behind the stage after the show. He came over to us and greeted me and my step brother with; "alright kids?" and a conversation followed between him and my dad. I shouted up to Dave, "I love Return To Waterloo!!!!" (one of Ray's semi - solo albums that him and Dave had a fall out over, which lead to Dave not playing or appearing on the album at all.... was supposed to be The Kinks, but ended up being by Ray Davies and members of The Kinks... hence, semi - solo) and he just stared at me, for about 10 seconds... saying nothing and VERY slightly nodding his head. BROTHERLY LOVE!!!!!

I have met the rest of the band, all polite.... although I did get a nasty look from the drummer, Mick Avory once, when I stepped in his way to say hi...... but he seems nice other times so I put that down to being my fault lol

And yes... I have got all their autographs lol

I met Paul Wellor once at a Ray concert in the South Bank, Waterloo in London and he was signing for people. I had no paper for him to scribble on.... so I got out my Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones soundtrack CD (I know lol) and got him to sign on that... he did (just under Natalie Portman's picture) and then quickly said "nice one" and went. Seemed cool enough, seeing as he had nothing to do with Star Wars ha ha

When I was really little me and my Nan was in Marks And Spencers in Angel, London ...around the early 90's and saw Gillian Taylforth (Kathy Beale in East Enders) doing her shopping.... I was too scared to say hello though, lol

I walked past the girl who played Carly Wicks in East Enders (Kelly Shirly or something like that?) in the Elephant And Castle... on her own and looking a bit down. Again I didn't say hello .... I didn't want that same nasty glare I got off of Mick Avory ha ha

I saw the guy who played Darren Miller (the boy who worked for Max) in East Enders in my local kebab shop with his mate buying a (lol ) chip buttie . Seemed friendly enough

Mike
Batman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:37
Dan 54
Forum Member

Saw Noel Edmonds and his missus in Tesco extra a couple of weeks back...
Dan 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 22:18
Glenn A
Forum Member

Much as I love his acting work, a few accounts I've heard of James Bolam aren't very complementary. Seemingly he absolutely hates anyone approaching him and won't engage with fans.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:24
BritFlicks1
Forum Member

Much as I love his acting work, a few accounts I've heard of James Bolam aren't very complementary. Seemingly he absolutely hates anyone approaching him and won't engage with fans.
He is a good actor but he comes across as a cantankerous old git. People who've worked with him say so too. If people didn't watch him, he wouldn't have been kept in work all these years. He needs to realise what side his bread's buttered.
BritFlicks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:37
Clark2012
Forum Member

Met the cast of Once Upon A Time recently, all were absolutely lovely, but Robbie Kay, Robert Carlyle and Colin O'Donohue really stood out. Were absolutely lovely.
Clark2012 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:56
Old.Tallen
Forum Member

Man, met a few over the years.

Ben Elton is a really nice guy, served him in a pub many years ago.

Edwina Currie is really fun, she is really clever and amusing. I used to know her daughters boyfriend.

Ken Bruce is awesome, met him when I went to the BBC a while back.

Keifer Sutherland is a really nice guy as well, met him in a bar in Toronto.

David Duchovny I met in a coffee shop near Vancouver, place called Kitsilano, but I can't spell it, he was really nice chatted for quite a while.

Met Tom Conti many years ago at a promotional event, he was quite nice.

I have met some celebs who were complete dicks as well, but I don't really remember many of them.
Old.Tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 00:03
Paddy C
Forum Member

After you've met him a few times, you can never tell how Keith Lemon is going to be. He can be as nice as anything one day, and then suddenly turn on you. He's a mystery, that one.
Leigh Francis, who plays Keith, put on his Twitter not long ago something along the lines of "Even on holidays, quite happy to pose for photos and sign autographs and chat, but just not when my kids are with me". He didn't elaborate but I am guessing he didn't want to do it and a fan got annoyed with him over it. He is right, famous people are allowed to have their time to themselves too. I wouldn't approach a famous person anyway, but I certainly wouldn't if they were out and about with their families and trying to enjoy a day to themselves or even on holidays.
Paddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 14:07
quatro
Forum Member

Mary Berry was rude and dismissive of a friend of mine and her mother at a book signing at the weekend, she was very offhand.
They put her [signed] book back on the shelf and left it.

Ok, she's tired, she doesn't like book signings [loves the money though I bet]. Well don't bloody do them then, or do it and be civil and polite to the public.

Or retire with dignity, instead of chasing celeb status and cash.

Oh and she could have had a bit of empathy for someone who also had polio as a child, but has not been so lucky to recover her mobility, ever. [Which was obvious].
quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:08
Belligerence
Forum Member

I met Peter Hook off New Order and Monaco many moons ago -- really down to earth fella. 'What Do You Want from Me?', now that was a good track.

Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale live not that far from my house. I've never met them, but the locals who have love them to bits.
Belligerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 11:05
lilsaz
Forum Member

Has anyone met Morrissey before as I'm interested?
I haven't personally but I know a couple of people that have and from what I remember were not very complimentry about him i'm afraid. He's always appears to be ranting and raving about something or slagging someone off.
lilsaz is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 14:17
louiethefly
Forum Member

I saw Antony Cotton in Tesco Haslingden and dared to smile at him. The look he gave me in return! I had no intention of bothering him, just thought it amusing that I had moved to England and saw a 'celebrity' in the supermarket. Knob.
louiethefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:57
Shadow2009
Forum Member

God I'd hate to be a celebrity. I was watching some Graham Norton on YouTube earlier and some woman on the red chair told him that she saw him walk by a pub she was in and followed him home. How creepy! People constantly harassing you in the streets for pictures and autographs is bad enough but them finding out where you live would have me terrified.
Shadow2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 13:57
Swanandduck2
Forum Member

I think it might have been said before on this thread, but judging celebrities by one brief encounter is probably a bit unfair. If they're constantly being approached by members of the public there's bound to be times that they're in a hurry, have something on their minds or are just not in great form like all of us at times. Obviously if you're at an event you're being paid to attend, or you're constantly rude and brusque with fans, that's different.

Very disappointed to hear about Mary Berry.She always seems so nice on GBBO and the contestants always speak very highly of her.
Swanandduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 18:02
Scarlett Berry
Forum Member

I think it might have been said before on this thread, but judging celebrities by one brief encounter is probably a bit unfair. If they're constantly being approached by members of the public there's bound to be times that they're in a hurry, have something on their minds or are just not in great form like all of us at times. Obviously if you're at an event you're being paid to attend, or you're constantly rude and brusque with fans, that's different.

Very disappointed to hear about Mary Berry.She always seems so nice on GBBO and the contestants always speak very highly of her.
Gosh, me too. However, I was dissappointed at remarks made by Mary during the time Mr. Hollywood strayed, along the lines of "boys will be boys". Could all be conjecture I know but food for thought.
Scarlett Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 18:58
dorydaryl
Forum Member

Couldn't agree more. Even if it has already been said before, it is something worth remembering. They're human beings and can have rough days. I tend to take it more seriously when you hear repeated examples of a 'famous' person behaving badly (and I don't mean when they are just shy and awkward, which can sometimes come across as 'rudeness'). When there seems to be many reports from different sources about someone, you do start to think 'best avoided'.

I can perfectly understand celebs getting fed up if they are getting pestered in their 'free' time but when they are at a book signing, promotional event or in their 'official' role, they are there as a means of making money/ drawing attention to themselves or their project. So, they need to at least give the illusion of being 'nice' and interested in their surroundings.

Also don't have much time for people who believe that because they are famous it entitles them to freebies, upgrades and privileges not afforded to others and who think that they are somehow 'better' people than others, on the strength of being famous.
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 19:12
Mehh
Forum Member

I met Jedward twice. On both occasions they were lovely. The last time I met them was at a CD signing, where one of the horrible security guards shoved me and left me with a bruise. John and their manager both asked me if I was okay, because he pushed me that hard.
Mehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 21:27
laska
Forum Member

Craig Revel Horwood- very nice and pleasant
laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:02
katmobile
Forum Member

Couldn't agree more. Even if it has already been said before, it is something worth remembering. They're human beings and can have rough days. I tend to take it more seriously when you hear repeated examples of a 'famous' person behaving badly (and I don't mean when they are just shy and awkward, which can sometimes come across as 'rudeness'). When there seems to be many reports from different sources about someone, you do start to think 'best avoided'.

I can perfectly understand celebs getting fed up if they are getting pestered in their 'free' time but when they are at a book signing, promotional event or in their 'official' role, they are there as a means of making money/ drawing attention to themselves or their project. So, they need to at least give the illusion of being 'nice' and interested in their surroundings.

Also don't have much time for people who believe that because they are famous it entitles them to freebies, upgrades and privileges not afforded to others and who think that they are somehow 'better' people than others, on the strength of being famous.
I agreed I've also inadvertantly blanked people I know because my head sails into the clouds and I don't notice what's around me. I imagine that happening with someone famous or them being merely distracted. Celebs are effected by what goes on their private lives as much as anyone I guess - a friend of mine works at a West End theatre and work on productions with Ralph Fiennes twice - the first time he was incredibly dull and morose and the second he was the life and soul of the party - this could be down to the differing natures of the productions he was on (the first time he was starring in Brant - not exactly a cheery play) or differing circumstances in his private life - but it does illustrate that people can be different at different times in their lives.
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:05
cliffy91
Forum Member

I got to meet Sir Cliff Richard on Thursday,he has been my hero since I was about 4 so meeting him was a dream. He was very nice and seemed really happy that a 22 year old had queued up for nearly 4 hours to meet him
cliffy91 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:48
louiethefly
Forum Member

I got to meet Sir Cliff Richard on Thursday,he has been my hero since I was about 4 so meeting him was a dream. He was very nice and seemed really happy that a 22 year old had queued up for nearly 4 hours to meet him
So glad you got to meet your hero and he was nice. Very cool. My mum met him back in the late 60s. She asked if it was him, he said yes but don't tell anyone and I'll take you for a coffee - so he did. Never queried her further on that one, but I'll believe her
louiethefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:57
Belligerence
Forum Member

Been to many theatre productions over the years, in which time I've only met two stars: Samuel West and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Both very amicable, polite and a credit to the profession.
Belligerence is offline   Reply With Quote