Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 24-03-2014, 13:23
Ella Nut
Forum Member

Apart from Black!!
She's perfectly pleasant here. Does make you wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpRLsBTm3g
Ella Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-03-2014, 22:19
Sergio_Dublin
Forum Member

In 2010, Bewes complained about his former co-star's refusal to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, preventing his earning anything from them; "he must be very wealthy; me, I've just got an overdraft and a mortgage."
Sergio_Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 03:13
Ellef
Forum Member

Are you referring to the radio version of the show?

BBC4 TV repeated the whole of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? last year.
Sorry for late reply - yes, definitely the radio version.
Ellef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 12:57
nw0307
Forum Member

In 2010, Bewes complained about his former co-star's refusal to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, preventing his earning anything from them; "he must be very wealthy; me, I've just got an overdraft and a mortgage."
Apparently Martin Shaw did the same thing by not allowing The Professionals to be repeated and stopping Lewis Collins getting much needed repeat royalties. He did however change his mind a couple of years ago. Not that it matters now poor Lewis is dead
nw0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 14:57
crunchie crisp
Forum Member

As far as I remember Martin Shaw stopped the repeats of the Professionals because he was not proud of the programme, not due to a feud.
crunchie crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:24
Kankurette
Forum Member

Saffron from Republica - anyone remember them? They were touring with Space last week and I got to meet her in Manchester. She was really nice. Hasn't changed much since 1997 either.
Kankurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 18:16
soundcheck
Forum Member

As far as I remember Martin Shaw stopped the repeats of the Professionals because he was not proud of the programme, not due to a feud.
So, one of the lead characters in a popular series, knowing that another of the lead characters was desperately short of money, chose to deny that person a source of income - despite having equal entitlement - because he had concerns about his artistic integrity?

I hope that isn't the case!

On the subject of this "permission to re-broadcast" thing, I have exchanged emails with a friend, an ex-Aunty producer (now long retired). He said that the Beeb was infamous for coming up with ways to reduce actors' fees, often by way of giving them a certain degree of editorial or production control over the programme in return for a smaller pay packet. This must have been ok with Equity, but he's not sure how widespread the practice was in the real world.

Aunty did have some foresighted solicitors, however, because they have been able to broadcast - or sell - some series against the wishes of some of the actors, because of the precise wording of the contracts. For example, some contracts prohibit "terrestrial retransmission" without the agreement of all parties. Hellooooo Sky...
soundcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 18:53
Kankurette
Forum Member

I met Simon Rimmer today at a cooking exhibition. He was very good with the crowd and stayed behind afterwards to talk to everyone and sign autographs. He was particularly good with the kids. Top bloke
He is! He was best man at my auntie and uncle's wedding, and he made this hilarious speech afterwards. I've seen him at their house a few times - I think he came to a christening years ago. They don't see much of him now cos he's so busy with TV etc. He had a show called Simmer With Rimmer at one point. Horrible taste in football teams (I'm an Evertonian myself). Greens, his restaurant, is near my house and I've been a couple of times. The food is pricey, but it is worth it. And it doesn't surprise me that he's great with kids, he was always good with my little cousins.
Kankurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 21:21
*Cadhla*
Forum Member

Apparently Martin Shaw did the same thing by not allowing The Professionals to be repeated and stopping Lewis Collins getting much needed repeat royalties. He did however change his mind a couple of years ago. Not that it matters now poor Lewis is dead
Someone whispered in his ear that Gordon Jackson's (Cowley) widow was struggling financially, and he so he agreed to repeats being shown in order to help her out.
*Cadhla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 21:38
crunchie crisp
Forum Member

Someone whispered in his ear that Gordon Jackson's (Cowley) widow was struggling financially, and he so he agreed to repeats being shown in order to help her out.
Thats what I heard too, though it was not because of a feud that he blocked repeats
Old 25-03-2014, 21:47
*Cadhla*
Forum Member

Thats what I heard too, though it was not because of a feud that he blocked repeats
Yeah, like you said Crunchie I think he wanted to be known for other work. Maybe because The Professionals was SO iconic, he believed that he could never move on from Doyle unless it was simply never shown.

Shaw went up in my estimation when I read he reconsidered his stance to help Mrs. Jackson.
*Cadhla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 21:50
crunchie crisp
Forum Member

Yeah, like you said Crunchie I think he wanted to be known for other work. Maybe because The Professionals was SO iconic, he believed that he could never move on from Doyle unless it was simply never shown.

Shaw went up in my estimation when I read he reconsidered his stance to help Mrs. Jackson.
Mine as well Cadhia, I thought that showed a really nice compassionate nature
Old 25-03-2014, 22:48
BritFlicks1
Forum Member

Martin Shaw has always struck me as taking himself very seriously.
BritFlicks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 22:51
Westy2
Forum Member

He was in the early episodes of the Doctor series.

Surprised he didn't put the block on those as well!
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 14:59
Agent Krycek
Forum Member

Didn't know him personally, but someone I work with went to school with one of his children, round about the height of The Professionals I think - very nice, low key guy apparently, helped out with lots of school stuff.
Agent Krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 17:08
Sergio_Dublin
Forum Member

I believe he changed his mind in consideration of the widow of Collins'
Sergio_Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 17:16
Steve™
Forum Member

Nice
------

Angus Deayton - very friendly and funny

Not so nice
--------------

Paul Merton - had a funny attitude, felt like he was looking down his nose at me!
Steve™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:11
dodrade
Forum Member

Nice
------

Angus Deayton - very friendly and funny

Not so nice
--------------

Paul Merton - had a funny attitude, felt like he was looking down his nose at me!
And yet Merton gets much more favourable coverage in the media than Deyton. I always thought it a disgrace the way he was hounded off HIGNFY.
dodrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:15
Steve™
Forum Member

And yet Merton gets much more favourable coverage in the media than Deyton. I always thought it a disgrace the way he was hounded off HIGNFY.
Yep me too. And although I like to see the different hosts now, I still think Angus was the best.
Old 26-03-2014, 18:43
The Prumeister
Forum Member

You can tell Merton is a complete egotist; he hates it when others are funnier than him on HIGNFY - which they frequently are.
The Prumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:46
dorydaryl
Forum Member

I've heard quite a few negative things about Merton 'off screen'. One journalist/ columnist once wrote that she was attending some charity awards event with a disabled friend. He passed them in a corridor as she was trying to help her friend with an access issue. He point blank refused to assist in any way and walked on.
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:53
Steve™
Forum Member

You can tell Merton is a complete egotist; he hates it when others are funnier than him on HIGNFY - which they frequently are.
Sadly I have to agree. I was a big fan of Merton, but his Room 101 Interview of Will Self put me off him completely.
Old 26-03-2014, 21:10
BrotherDaniel
Forum Member

Nice:
Jason Bradbury
Rachel Riley
Huey Morgan
Iain Lee
Ron Atkinson
Floyd Mayweather

Horrible:
Ian Botham
Paul Ross
Meatloaf
BrotherDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 21:16
Yvie123
Forum Member

I've heard quite a few negative things about Merton 'off screen'. One journalist/ columnist once wrote that she was attending some charity awards event with a disabled friend. He passed them in a corridor as she was trying to help her friend with an access issue. He point blank refused to assist in any way and walked on.
That made me sad - I thought he seemed like a decent person, despite the grumpy persona. I'm trying to think of a reason/excuse for him doing that, but it's hard to find one
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:32
Snow Martian
Forum Member

Rugby player James Haskell - total w*****
He called me a retard on twitter.
Snow Martian is offline   Reply With Quote