Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 09-12-2009, 14:19
lotty27
Forum Member

Quite. And I can confirm that she is a natural blonde.
Thanks for posting that Monkeylalala, gave me a good laugh! Maybe that's why she's so keen on showing it off because she's, ahem!, natural! I'll never be able to look at her in the same way again knowing she's a flasher!
lotty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-12-2009, 15:07
Sunset Frog
Forum Member

Not that big a list, but in my younger days I worked in a wine shop situated close to the local theatre, and a fair few 'celebrities' happened to pop in for the odd beverage (or two...).

Now, who can I remember?

Paul Venables (May to December, Holby City, etc.) - lovely, and I was rather starstruck at the time!
Lionel Blair - very nice
Leo McKern (Rumpole of the Bailey) - a regular customer who was a bit gruff and also wonderfully eccentric (he used to turn up in his slippers...)
Derek Fowlds (Heartbeat, Basil Brush) - very nice and polite
Van Morrison - a regular customer who also lived across the road from me - a little on the grumpy side
Patricia Routledge - absolutely ghastly, and boy, did I have to bite my tongue!

Others (from all over the place) that I can recall:

Anthony Head - lovely
Paul Bradley (Holby City, Eastenders) - really lovely - came to a craft fair that we'd organised and bought lots of goodies
Jarvis Cocker - very entertaining and down to earth
Richard Wilson - entertaining the crowds in a funny, smiley way
Julian Cope - hilarious - lost his voice during an intimate gig and kept us all entertained with his antics
Eric Idle - singing away at a festival - seemed pleasant enough
Jean Shrimpton (60's model) - again, bought some goodies from us - very nice
Matthew Kelly - seemed nice enough but turned down an invitation to a celebratory party (fair enough, really!)
Sunset Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 15:30
wonkeydonkey
Forum Member

Van Morrison - a regular customer who also lived across the road from me - a little on the grumpy side
)
No!!! Is his universal nickname not Uncle Chuckletrousers?
wonkeydonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 16:14
Sunset Frog
Forum Member

Yep - I was as shocked as you are

But, I do have a vague recollection of a smile being cracked every once in a while - although I could be mistaken...
Sunset Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 17:36
paris192
Forum Member

for any of the irish posters on here- i had the pleasure of meeting hector( minor idiot of a celebrity in ireland) at several race meetings over the years - and he is so rude . actually he is possibilly the rudest individual i have ever met.

we asked him how is horse was - and he unleashed a tirad of abuse at us at galway races one year, one of the girls was getting an autograph at the time ...needless to say we handed the paper back to him - what an arse

met alex ferguson aswell - and he was a real gentleman - he was in great form cos his horse had just won a big race.
paris192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 20:04
Monkeylalala
Inactive Member

Come on, he's universally known as being a miserable old git, that nickname must be a joke.
Monkeylalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19
soilhoof
Forum Member

I met Gail Porter a couple of months ago at lunchtime outside a restaurant in London. I didn't say anything to her, I was just having a cigarette, but she offered me some nuts as the bar staff had brought her too many bowls

We were chatting and she was telling me about a 20-something she's sleeping with - haha.

She was very bubbly, friendly and quite funny actually.
No matter wahat anyone has ever said about her she is a 'Star Wars' fan and action figure collector, like Simon Pegg and Eamonn Holmes and therefore a diamond geezer(ette?).
soilhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46
Squishy
Forum Member

Still can't say I've met any that have been hidious! Chris Rea was a little...reserved, but it was pretty early.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:17
alimi
Forum Member

My son is partially sighted and he and the six other Visially Impaired kids in his school got free tickets to see Hairspray.
When they arrived, who should meet them at the door but Phil Jupitus. He gave them a tour of the set and introduced them to the other cast members.
If that wasn't enough he took them to a room, picked up a guitar and spent ages telling them jokes, chatting and making up funny songs with their pets names in them.

An absolute legend who ensured that when I met their little minibus at the school to collect my son, every single kid got off with the biggest smile on their face
alimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:32
DB5
Forum Member

That was kind of his job, wasn't it? Professional misanthrope? There are some celebs who are gloriously nasty. People queue up to hear the disdainful ripostes of Christopher Plummer ('The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus; 'Up') after, several years ago, a fan went up to him, complimented his work and asked for an autograph. Plummer responded with "Why don't you f- off back up whatever hole you crawled out of!" at which the autograph hunter punched him. First recorded instance of the fan hitting the shit.
Old joke, I'm afraid. That exact story and gag was being told about the loathesome Rex Harrison back in the 50s...
DB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:33
duryea
Forum Member

Aww, that's lovely. It's nice when you hear something so nice about someone you like. Bet the kids had a great time.
duryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:37
alimi
Forum Member

Aww, that's lovely. It's nice when you hear something so nice about someone you like. Bet the kids had a great time.
They did. The funny thing is that my Daughter and I love Buzzcocks and Phil, but my son didn't even know who he was until he heard the teachers talking about it on the way home.
He just thought it was a nice, funny man.
Old 10-12-2009, 13:45
alfiewozere
Inactive Member

They did. The funny thing is that my Daughter and I love Buzzcocks and Phil, but my son didn't even know who he was until he heard the teachers talking about it on the way home.
He just thought it was a nice, funny man.
Wow what a nice guy. I've always like him and I like him even more now.
alfiewozere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 14:35
zx50
Forum Member

I can definitely imagine Phil being funny. There was one programme I sometimes watched where he was a member of the panel and he used to have me laughing with the way he'd keep a straight face whilst he came out with something funny
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 15:28
alimi
Forum Member

I can definitely imagine Phil being funny. There was one programme I sometimes watched where he was a member of the panel and he used to have me laughing with the way he'd keep a straight face whilst he came out with something funny
I thought he was nice when I saw him on Buzzcocks with Duppy and he pretended to be offended. Duppy seemed genuinely gutted to have upset him.
My sons experience just confirmed this. I wish he could read this thread to see how he made my little uns day
Old 10-12-2009, 15:32
alfiewozere
Inactive Member

I thought he was nice when I saw him on Buzzcocks with Duppy and he pretended to be offended. Duppy seemed genuinely gutted to have upset him.
My sons experience just confirmed this. I wish he could read this thread to see how he made my little uns day
If you're on twitter you can tell him yourself, he's @JupitusPhillip. Tell him how fab he is in 140 characters or less, now there's a challenge!
alfiewozere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 15:54
alimi
Forum Member

If you're on twitter you can tell him yourself, he's @JupitusPhillip. Tell him how fab he is in 140 characters or less, now there's a challenge!
Thanks Alfie, i'll have to join up first.
Another story for you, Ronnie Corbett, complete tool. Back in the seventies my big brother and his mate caddied for him all day unofficially (they were in their early teens)
He was completely obnoxious to them and then at the end of a long session gave them 50p to share
On the other hand, his wife Ann used to come into my mums work and was a complete sweetheart. Never let on who she was either, it was just generally known.
Great thread BTW
Old 10-12-2009, 21:35
Monkeylalala
Inactive Member

Richard Harris used to drink round a lot of pubs in the Strand (not sure if orange juice or if it had something in it) in the early noughties. I worked in one. He once lit my husband's spliff.
Monkeylalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 22:54
bean33
Forum Member

nice people ive met:

Ian Brown of the Stone Roses - very relaxed and frindly

Mark Owen - just as nice as he always apears on tv, very polite

lenny henry - lovely and surprisingly quietly spoken

brett anderson of suede - spent ages talking to fans outside their soundcheck but i was way too starstruck to speak - when i eventually did, i stared at his shoes!!

graham fellows aka john shuttleworth - a fantastic, lovely man who spent ages talking to everyone

i've never met lee evans but he seems to be widely recognised as someone who spends hours chatting to fans after his gigs. anyone had this experience?
bean33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 17:43
Braintree
Forum Member

But if you were a true fan you wouldn't approach someone whilst they were shopping in Tesco or out with their family. Living in London I see a few celebrities around but would never bother them if they were doing something unrelated to their work.

If you mean a backstage encounter(that sounds rude, but I don't know what else to call it) such as after a gig and the celebrity is rude then yes that is unacceptable because the fan has usually paid to come along and support them.
I am such a hypocrite! Last night I was in the Penderal's Oak in Holborn and the people I was with noticed that a lot of comedians were in the same bar. I ended up being forced to approach Justin Edwards(he was in the thick of it and is Jeremy Lion) who was very nice and agreed to do an interview for an internet radio station.

To make it more embarrassing he was on his Stag night (he's marrying Lucy Porter ), hence all his comedy friends!
Braintree is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 22:54
dkav
Forum Member

My dad met alec ferguson and thought he was very rude.... mind you he did insult man utd so maybe he deserved it

also my cousin's husband works with louis walsh often and some of my relations have met him or spoken to him on the phone and all found him extremely rude and stuck up!!
dkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:30
letitiadeanfan
Forum Member

I met Gareth David-Lloyd on Saturday night (Ianto Jones from Torchwood). Me & the best friend travelled up to Preston where he's appearing in Cinderella in the tiniest theatre you can ever imagine (the top floor of a shopping centre, oddly enough). We were set on going once we'd finished sobbing over Ianto's demise He came scurrying out in his costume for a cigarette in the customer smoking area in the interval, and was just so normal and lovely. He was approached by someone for a photo mid puff, which I found a bit off, but he just smiled and said he'd do it after the show, and I was lucky enough to get a photo also. So softly spoken and normal it was unnerving, absolutely adorable!
letitiadeanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:31
AlongCameHayley
Forum Member

Lets not lie about this, and lets not do the whole "I know a very famous person but I cant possibly tell you who they are or what they are like..." thing...

Just tell us which celebs you have ever met, whether they were nice or not and any interesting stories you have about them!
AlongCameHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:46
The Prumeister
Forum Member

Already a thread here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=925567
The Prumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:53
AlongCameHayley
Forum Member

Pete Wentz (Fall Out Boy) - met him at a Good Charlotte concert, he was very chatty and friendly, he asked me wether I had made my torn-up ridiciulous pop-punk top myself and was very obliging when we asked for photos with him.

Gaynor Faye & Sherrie Hewson - at a Butlins "celeb" signing! Dont remember Gaynor saying anything, but Sherrie was very bubbly and chirpy.

Ant & Dec - not exactly met but they hung out of a window when we were queuing at a PJ & Duncan gig years ago and encouraged the crowd to sing with them. They seemed sweet!

Sandi Thom - at a concert of hers. She was very quiet but seemed nice enough.

Carole Thatcher - a bit mad/batty but very nice and chatty.

Sheree Murphy & Anthony Costa - signed autographs and not much else.

Jimmy Osmond and some of the other Osmond brothers- VERY friendly! Seemed lovely.

Nicola Roberts - Went to college with her. She was EXTREMELY quiet and shy, but seemed nice enough.
AlongCameHayley is offline   Reply With Quote