Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Top Up TV on Freesat??

Old 24-12-2008, 08:38
Bodatron
Forum Member

Is there going to be a Top Up TV service or something like it on Freesat?

(sorry if this has already been covered)

Bodatron
Bodatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-12-2008, 09:34
alan_m
Forum Member

Is there going to be a Top Up TV service or something like it on Freesat?

(sorry if this has already been covered)

Bodatron

The clue is in the word Freesat
Plus, why would you need a service like top_up as the Freesat boxes can already receive around another 400 free to air channels.
alan_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 09:37
rai uno
Inactive Member

Indeed.

The Top-up Service is called Sky (and/or Setanta) and requires a different Box!
rai uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 09:57
alan.w
Forum Member

The clue is in the word Freesat
Whyever not its on FREEview
alan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 09:59
mossy2103
Forum Member

No, it's on DTT, not Freeview (which is a subset of DTT of course)
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 10:02
Widget76
Forum Member

There cannot be a top-up tv service with Freesat. The Spec for FreeSat does not make provision for viewing card slots (although humax have included one on the HDR box) and these have not been built into the SD or HD boxes, so there would be no way it could work.
Widget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 10:26
alan_m
Forum Member

It's not
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

Not all digital terrestrial TV is Freeview
Old 24-12-2008, 10:29
rai uno
Inactive Member

............. the Freesat boxes can already receive around another 400 free to air channels.
I've got over 2,000 TV Channels stored on mine, plus over 1,000 Radio ....................

More to life than 28.2/28.5E !
Old 24-12-2008, 10:38
Bodatron
Forum Member

There cannot be a top-up tv service with Freesat. The Spec for FreeSat does not make provision for viewing card slots (although humax have included one on the HDR box) and these have not been built into the SD or HD boxes, so there would be no way it could work.
That's the box I have, so I would have thourght Top Up will come to Freesat - or at least anohter service like it.

BTW - thanks for the sarcastic Freesat comment - Freeview is the same. Some of us don't want Sky - I'd be happy to pay for channels I'd watch, just not all the ones Sky want you to have - plus I want an HD service, without paying Sky's premium on top.

Bodatron
Old 24-12-2008, 10:40
Bodatron
Forum Member

Freeview boxes started off the same- no viewing card slots, but now look - so I'm sure Freesat boxes will all change over time.

Bodatron
Old 24-12-2008, 10:46
SuperBob
Forum Member

the topup tv model is a low cost on demand service (off peak hours used to download content) for just 2.50 a week.

it's up and running on terrestrial I can't see any benefit for going to satellite, as it's easier to get without dishes being involved.

why would they commit more outlay to expand thier service, when they already have much sought after terrestrial space?
they aint competing with the big players, they are a niche outfit which offers additional programming
SuperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 11:14
alan.w
Forum Member

Freeview boxes started off the same- no viewing card slots, but now look - so I'm sure Freesat boxes will all change over time.

Bodatron
Freeview boxes started as OnDigital boxes and had cards and a slot my Dad had one of the first ones
alan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:21
alan_m
Forum Member

That's the box I have, so I would have thourght Top Up will come to Freesat - or at least anohter service like it.

BTW - thanks for the sarcastic Freesat comment - Freeview is the same. Some of us don't want Sky - I'd be happy to pay for channels I'd watch, just not all the ones Sky want you to have - plus I want an HD service, without paying Sky's premium on top.

Bodatron
I was under the impression that Sky had some financial interest in top-up.

If channels are free of Sky, but still subscription, why should they be any cheaper?
Old 24-12-2008, 12:25
IanL
Forum Member

Freeview boxes started as OnDigital boxes and had cards and a slot my Dad had one of the first ones
No, that was Digital Terrestrial Television.

Freeview and Top-up TV took over the bandwidth when OnDigital folded. So Freeview does not include Top-up TV, it sits alongside it - they are both DTT.

If someone markets a STB which includes Freesat and takes a viewing card for extra (encoded) channels which are transmitted for the benefit of those card holders, that does not mean that Top-up TV (or some other name) has come to Freesat.
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:52
White-Knight
Forum Member

I hope not!

Its the thin end of the wedge. Once you get some channels becoming pay to view, all of sudden you find the best channels going pay to view.

Freesat should be free. The cam slot should remain for decoding other sats not top ups.
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:58
srhill
Forum Member

Indeed.

The Top-up Service is called Sky (and/or Setanta) and requires a different Box!
no it isn't - top-up being referred to is the ability to pay for extra channels to those on freeview.

There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat, however if the humax has no card slot a different box would be required.
srhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 13:15
rai uno
Inactive Member

no it isn't - top-up being referred to is the ability to pay for extra channels to those on freeview.

There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat, however if the humax has no card slot a different box would be required.
I suspect the irony, as indicated by a grinning smiley, has passed unnoticed.
Old 24-12-2008, 14:49
IanL
Forum Member

There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat,.... .
If top-up were to come to Digital Satellite Broadcasting it would not be "on Freesat", just as Top-up TV is not "on Freeview".
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote