Options

I think I lost my contact lens in my eye. How can I tell if its there or not?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
Forum Member
Well about two weeks ago I was putting in my contact and I suddenly got up and realised it wasn't there. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I'm paranoid its in my eye. I can't feel it but I'm scared. I moved my eye up, down, left right and I can't see it.:eek: I've also been wearing contacts since.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no where for it to go, you have probably dropped it.

It can't 'escape' behind your eye. If in doubt pop into the optitians
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    If there is a contact lens or a bit of one stuck in your eye, believe me you will know about it. Torn lenses hurt like mad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    That has happened to me loads....

I just close my eye and then massage my eyelid under the eye socket... If its in there it will eventually come out..

Ive done it quite a few times where its come out all folded up...

Ekk... but other posters are right.. It can't go anywhere.. and if it was 2 wks ago then maybe you should go see a opticians!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've put tons of drops in there and held my bottom and top eye lid and rolled my eye up and down and I don't see or feel anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Its probably not in there if you can't feel it.. as it normally hurts or is uncomfy...

The amount of times ive tried to take contacts out when ive already taken them out so i end up pulling on the thin layer of skin, now thats uncomfy!

Once i forgot to take them out and the next morn i put another pair on top... That was a weird sensation...

So its prob nothing to worry about...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member
    BooBoo_kw wrote: »
    That has happened to me loads....

I just close my eye and then massage my eyelid under the eye socket... If its in there it will eventually come out..

Ive done it quite a few times where its come out all folded up...

Ekk... but other posters are right.. It can't go anywhere.. and if it was 2 wks ago then maybe you should go see a opticians!?

I had this problem today when putting new ones in, one of them seemed to disappear and I could have sworn I'd put it in. Usually I would just massage my eye when shut and it feels very uncomfortable and comes out and. I realised that as nothing came out I must have somehow dropped it.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happened to me loads too!

OP, chances are you dropped it, there's nowhere for it to go behind your eye, and believe you me you'd know it's there :eek:...it's usually painful to the point where you can't open your eye properly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BusyB wrote: »
    Well about two weeks ago I was putting in my contact and I suddenly got up and realised it wasn't there. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I'm paranoid its in my eye. I can't feel it but I'm scared. I moved my eye up, down, left right and I can't see it.:eek: I've also been wearing contacts since.

Been there many times if you go to sleep it will fall out it wont be there after 24 hours little own a week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rsh wrote: »
    Been there many times if you go to sleep it will fall out it wont be there after 24 hours little own a week

Just reminded me of when I fell asleep in them on my wedding night. They hurt to get out the next day cos they were suck to my eyeball. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reminded me of when I fell asleep in them on my wedding night. They hurt to get out the next day cos they were suck to my eyeball. :eek:

But you are sure they are there and they come out eaisly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rsh wrote: »
    But you are sure they are there and they come out eaisly!

A bit easier when your eye becomes moist again. But yeah, you definitely know its there.
  • Options
    prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isnt anywhere for it to get stuck, don't worry about it! It has most definitely just fallen out onto the floor :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'm just being paranoid.:o
  • Options
    drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BusyB wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'm just being paranoid.:o

aye(eye) ;)
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me, if it was still in there you would know it!
    It has fallen on the floor - they are a real bugger to find when dropped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I lost my contact lens in my eye. How can I tell if its there or not?

If you stand in front of a mirror & open your eyelid & you can't see anything at all, your eye has gone. Alternatively, put a knitting needle in the socket - if it goes right in & you feel something scratching the inside of the back of your head or your brain, there's probably no eyeball in its way. Hope that helps. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    What can happen if you sleep with your contacts in?
  • Options
    prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leum07 wrote: »
    What can happen if you sleep with your contacts in?

they get VERY hard to remove, because the lens stick to the surface of your eye - you do not blink whilst you are sleeping, so it cannot refresh itself + natural fluids can't flow on the surface of the eye etc.

I've fallen asleep with them for a max of about an hour, and i find it hard to take of straightaway. :o. Although I know many people who sleep whole nights whilst wearing them, and nothing disastrous has happened.

But, if you stay awake for about 10 mins afterwards with some rapid blinking it goes back to normal :p

In all seriousness, NEVER sleep with them :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends. I've sometimes come in from rather a late night & have forgotten to take my dailies out. The next morning, I've had clearer than usual vision & it's taken me a minute or two to realise that's because I've still got the lenses in. :D I've had to gently run my fingertip on my eyeball & use my fingernail to lift the lens off. It's a bit uncomfortable because the lens hasn't had moisture running over it, so it's a bit dry. My optician told me it wasn't a good idea to sleep with them in, even the monthly ones, because of the dryness your eye can suffer from, resulting in the lens being harder to remove & possible injury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh bugger then :eek:

i use monthly ones

go in 1st of every month, come out the end of the month, with new ones going back in the 1st again, then repeat, been doing it for the last 8 months, had check-up about 3 months ago...

"your eyes are fine. Been suffering any problems?"
    "nope, perfect vision" :D

Im a fool i know, but my eyes have never suffered any problems ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main problems of regularly sleeping with contacts in are infection, and also that you're depriving the eyeball of a considerable amount of oxygen. This is when the thread red blood vessels in your eyes begin to creep slowly towards your iris and cause a lot of pain, in some cases blindness.

For this reason it's good to have days without lenses - you're only given two eyes and they're very fragile things.

"Improperly worn contact lenses can cause a loss of oxygen to the cornea, which in turn can lead to blood vessels growing over the front of your eyes, infections, lid changes, allergies, corneal warping, corneal swelling and possibly even blindness.

There are lenses being investigated that may be approved for wearing up to 30 days without removal, but they are not on the market yet. Why roll the dice? You might have gotten by so far, but what if you do have a problem? Is it worth it? You only have two eyes!"

http://www.allaboutvision.com/askdoc/contact-lenses.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The main problems of regularly sleeping with contacts in are infection, and also that you're depriving the eyeball of a considerable amount of oxygen. This is when the thread red blood vessels in your eyes begin to creep slowly towards your iris and cause a lot of pain, in some cases blindness.

For this reason it's good to have days without lenses - you're only given two eyes and they're very fragile things.

"Improperly worn contact lenses can cause a loss of oxygen to the cornea, which in turn can lead to blood vessels growing over the front of your eyes, infections, lid changes, allergies, corneal warping, corneal swelling and possibly even blindness.

There are lenses being investigated that may be approved for wearing up to 30 days without removal, but they are not on the market yet. Why roll the dice? You might have gotten by so far, but what if you do have a problem? Is it worth it? You only have two eyes!"

http://www.allaboutvision.com/askdoc/contact-lenses.htm

Hmm, that may have just opened my eyes a bit :D

maybe time to consider taking them out more often eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leum07 wrote: »
    Hmm, that may have just opened my eyes a bit :D

maybe time to consider taking them out more often eh?

Good choice of phrase :p

My optician warned me my eyes are so dry anyway that I should only wear contacts occasionally, if it saves me risking my sight I don't really mind. Don't fancy the idea of having red iris's either :eek:
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can already get lenses that you can keep in for a month - I used to wear them as monthly lenses and take them out each night, but if I could have been bothered with the initial checks, I could have worn them all the time. I certainly slept in them accidentally a couple of times with no ill effects. If you accidentally sleep with daily lenses in, don't try to remove them immediately, but rehydrate them with eye drops or contact lens solution. When they've softened up, remove them and don't wear lenses for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I wear the continous wear lenses which I keep in for 30 days and nights. I have regulary check ups and apart from having to rinse them now and again when I get make up or an eye lash in them I havent had any probs (touch wood!!!!)
    I cant wear the daily disposable ones as they make my eyes dry and going on holiday would be a hassle as you would have to take at least 14 pair with you.
    The only thing you should'nt do in the lenses is swim either in a pool or in the sea, but just splashing about isnt a problem.