Options

Will a speed camera catch you if the camera if on the other side of the road?

I got flashed doing 40 in a 30 the other day but the camera was on the other side of the road and in front of me.

Will I get a fine? Or is it when you get flashed from behind?

Comments

• Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware it has to be from behind. I have had similar when I have been driving towards one and they have flashed - but they are positioned to photograph the side of the road where they are situated.

I have even known a cycle overtake a car down a hill and it has triggered the camera! unbelievable! The vehicles have been sticking to the speed limit and one of them would have got a fixed penalty.

You do not state if this camera was situated on a central reservation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got flashed doing 40 in a 30 the other day but the camera was on the other side of the road and in front of me.

Will I get a fine? Or is it when you get flashed from behind?

No. The GATSO type go off quite regularly if you're going the other way. Just watch out for the centre verge mounted ones as some of those have a camera in either side although they're only supposed to work one side at a time coz they need to be angled down towards the road meaning the other side is pointing to the sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    As far as I am aware it has to be from behind. I have had similar when I have been driving towards one and they have flashed - but they are positioned to photograph the side of the road where they are situated.

Only Gatso take photos from behind, Truvelo take a face-on picture.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll only know if you've been caught if a letter drops through your letter box from your local police! They have 14 days to send out the notice but is usually sent out within 7 days.

I've been in a similar situation where I was going 60mph in a 50 and I came over the brow of a hill on a dual carriage way and I saw a mobile safe cam, I slowed down when I saw it to 50mph so I passed the van doing 50 but I had no idea how far away they could catch you. Turns out, I was damn lucky and nothing arrived from the local police.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not possible its illegal for them to prosecute you, first they will have to explain to the court why they are flashing in your face while you are driving, before the court wants to hear about the speeding offence. :cool:
  • Options
    gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got "flashed" by a camera in Edinburgh on the A8 a while ago which was on the other side of the road and I never heard anything. It gave me a fright at the time though as I actually thought I had been caught.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not possible its illegal for them to prosecute you, first they will have to explain to the court why they are flashing in your face while you are driving, before the court wants to hear about the speeding offence. :cool:

Not true. There are forward looking speed cameras.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Yes, Debian, Truvelo take a picture from the front - but they don't use a visible flash so as to not distract the driver.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Only Gatso take photos from behind, Truvelo take a face-on picture.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm

Fascinating website! Wish I'd seen that before. :p
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have even known a cycle overtake a car down a hill and it has triggered the camera! unbelievable! The vehicles have been sticking to the speed limit and one of them would have got a fixed penalty.

thats why the camera takes two pics, to determine exactly what triggered the camera
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Not sure, have a read of this. It seems that there isn't a camera which can take a picture with a flash of your face from the opposite side of the road. There is a camera called the TruVelo but I don't think it uses a flash.

http://www.roadangel.co.uk/support/camera_info.htm