Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can I drive my car when the new tax disc is in the post?

Old 14-01-2009, 11:59
Strewelpeter
Forum Member

I renewed my tax disc online and there is now going to be a delay of a couple of days. (They are normally very good with their 5 day estimate. Usually quicker) Anyway, my tax ran out on Monday, the new one won't be here until at least Friday and at some point either today or tomorrow I'm going to need to use the car.

Can I use my car if I explain and have a reference number from DVLA? Does the old 'It's in the post' excuse work?
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:01
SarcasticMrFox
Inactive Member

I ended up having to do the same thing but if you're caught I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's in the post or not, the offence is not displaying it regardless of whether or not you have actually paid for it.

IMO, if you try to buy one online within 5 working days of your current disc running out you should be refused and told to go to the post office to avoid such situations.
SarcasticMrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
ianx
Forum Member

The legal requirement is that you display a tax disc.
ianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Bigshorts
Forum Member

Failure to display.
Bigshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
ustarion
Forum Member

Not legally.
ustarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:02
craftwerc
Forum Member

Yes, becasue it's logged on the system that you've ordered it.
craftwerc is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:08
lemoncurd
Forum Member

Yes, becasue it's logged on the system that you've ordered it.
As others have said, the offence is "Failure to Display a Tax Disk". What the system `says' is irrelevant.
lemoncurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:09
lumpbottom
Inactive Member

I ended up having to do the same thing but if you're caught I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's in the post or not, the offence is not displaying it regardless of whether or not you have actually paid for it.

IMO, if you try to buy one online within 5 working days of your current disc running out you should be refused and told to go to the post office to avoid such situations.
That's just nit-picking.
You would never be prosecuted, besides it's a civil, not criminal offence and is not recorded.
lumpbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:10
lemoncurd
Forum Member

Anyway, my tax ran out on Monday

I though tax always ran until the end of a Calendar month? In which case, you should be OK (asuming your disk says 01/09).
Old 14-01-2009, 12:11
Strewelpeter
Forum Member

Thanks. I had a quick look. It seems there is 'Failure to have a valid tax disc' and 'Failure to display a tax disc' The latter carries a 60 fine. As I can't afford 60 quid right now I might have to make other arrangements.
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:12
lemoncurd
Forum Member

That's just nit-picking.
You would never be prosecuted, besides it's a civil, not criminal offence and is not recorded.
http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19022
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...aying-tax.html

People *do* get fined for not displaying tax disks they've purchased.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:12
djfoot
Forum Member

How is it possible for the tax disk to have expired on Monday? All disks run out at the end of the month. You have got 5 days grace once it has run out. If it doesn't turn up in the post, you can go to the post office and get a duplicate printed straight away by taking your V5 document.
djfoot is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:13
craftwerc
Forum Member

As others have said, the offence is "Failure to Display a Tax Disk". What the system `says' is irrelevant.
Most boroughs enforce a 14-day grace period.
craftwerc is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:14
SarcasticMrFox
Inactive Member

That's just nit-picking.
No it isn't nit-picking. You can and will be fined for not displaying your tax disc if you are caught regardless of whether or not you have a new one.

Years ago my dad bought his at the post office and forgot to swap them over. He was still fined even though he could prove he had purchased the disc in time.

Who said it was a criminal offence?
SarcasticMrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:17
GhostBoy
Forum Member

You can get your car clamped for not displaying a tax disk even if you aren't driving it - if its on the public roads it needs one...
GhostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:17
lemoncurd
Forum Member

It's nothing to do with `boroughs' - it a police enforcement issue, and the 14-day grace is a bit of a myth, I'm afraid.
I presume what the OP means is that the tax ran out at the end of December and they still haven't got the new one.....in which case I *definitely* wouldn't have it on the roads - the police have got these new tax-disk cameras and they seem to be everywhere (especially in Wales for some reason!).
Old 14-01-2009, 12:27
djfoot
Forum Member

It's nothing to do with `boroughs' - it a police enforcement issue, and the 14-day grace is a bit of a myth, I'm afraid.
I presume what the OP means is that the tax ran out at the end of December and they still haven't got the new one.....in which case I *definitely* wouldn't have it on the roads - the police have got these new tax-disk cameras and they seem to be everywhere (especially in Wales for some reason!).
The cameras are number plate recognition cameras that link to the PNC and DVLA computers. As the OP has bought the tax, his number plate will not get flagged.
djfoot is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:31
Alcdrew
Forum Member

Although it is an offence not to display a valid tax disc, I think you will find it very unlikely that you will get done for not doing so, depending where you park your car. If you are driving it the police can check without having to stop you if it has tax, mot, insurance so as long as it shows on their system as having these you probably won't get pulled over, unless you are breaking some other law at the time, and even if you do the police will know you have a valid tax disc and most likely just warn you to make sure it is on your car. If you are using the car to go to and from a place of work and it is a private car pack it is unlikely anyone will even look at your car. So the odds are good that you will be fine driving it. But if you do choose to and get fined I except no responsibility for it
Alcdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:34
Rowdy
Forum Member

No it isn't nit-picking. You can and will be fined for not displaying your tax disc if you are caught regardless of whether or not you have a new one.

Years ago my dad bought his at the post office and forgot to swap them over. He was still fined even though he could prove he had purchased the disc in time.

Who said it was a criminal offence?
I say it. If you plead not guilty, it's heard by a magistrate's court, not a civil one. Magistrates can only hear criminal cases. Another clue: you get fined. Yet another: who says you have to have a tax disc? The crown, that's who. Therefore, if you don't have one, you offend against the crown. Or, to put it another way, you commit a crime.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:45
duffystev
Forum Member

No such thing as 14 day grace period.

And the offence is failure to display a current tax disc. So a tax disc with 31-12-08 will be invalid on 01-01-09

I'm still confused how it ran out on Monday as tax discs expire at the end of a calender month.
duffystev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:51
Isle_Of_Weather
Inactive Member

Most coppers have better things to do than 1 month out of date discs
Isle_Of_Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:52
ejm
Forum Member

We got a 60 fine for not displaying our tax disc. It had fallen off he windscreen was was in the passenger footwell

If it is just for a couple of days, I would probably try and make other arrangements.
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:55
LillyInbloom
Forum Member

No you cant, You can't even park it in a road.

They clamped my car, the tax disk was on its way was gonna arrive in couple days. They clamped the car, had to pay them 100 to unclamp my car, and go to their stupid offices to present the tax disk which arrived the morning of the day the car was clamped. I even chose not to drive it cos, i was waiting fo the tax disc. BASTARDS.

Last edited by LillyInbloom : 14-01-2009 at 12:57. Reason: spell mistake
LillyInbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:56
Barry Scott

Most coppers have better things to do than 1 month out of date discs
I wouldn't be too sure about that. It's an 'easy cop' for them that requires very little effort.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:57
GhostBoy
Forum Member

No you cant, You can't even park it in a road.

They clamped my car, the tax disk was on its way was gonna arrive in couple days. They clamped the car, had to pay them 100 to unclamp my car, and go to their stupid offices to present the tax disk which arrived the morning of the day the car was clamped. I even chose not to drive it cos, i was waiting fo the tax disc. BASTARDS.
Ignorance of the law is no defence...
GhostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote