Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How do I find out my driver number?

Old 01-02-2009, 15:22
Puffle
Forum Member

Hi

Frantically tried to find my driving licence today without success - tried to look up my driver number on line at DVLA but surprise surprise it say's I'm ineligible - any other suggestions of how I can find this out? I need it tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Puffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2009, 16:13
CANDYANGEL
Forum Member

Did you take a Theory test? If so It will be on the certificate. Or on your driving test pass certificate.
CANDYANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:24
Puffle
Forum Member

Did you take a Theory test? If so It will be on the certificate. Or on your driving test pass certificate.
er no, I passed my test long before the theory test was introduced. Guess I'll just have to try my luck calling DVLA tomorrow morning
Old 01-02-2009, 16:29
NoDice
Inactive Member

er no, I passed my test long before the theory test was introduced. Guess I'll just have to try my luck calling DVLA tomorrow morning

Its normally your name and birthdate mixed up. Its just knowing the correct order to put it in.

Ive forgot how it works and cant be bothered to dig my licence out to see which order they do it sorry.
NoDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:35
sleepydove
Forum Member

Well, you'll know in future to keep your driving license in a safe place.
sleepydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:41
xxTinkerbellexx
Forum Member

Call them up and ask them, and they will give it to you. They will aslo send you the forms that you need to complete to get a replacement, or you can get them at your local post office.

It's what I did when I stored my Driving Licence and Passport "somehere safe".

6 years later I still haven't found them

You will have to get photographs done too for your new licence

HTH
xxTinkerbellexx is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:52
CANDYANGEL
Forum Member

Its normally your name and birthdate mixed up. Its just knowing the correct order to put it in.

Ive forgot how it works and cant be bothered to dig my licence out to see which order they do it sorry.
You might be able to work it out

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...sing/DG_068315
Old 01-02-2009, 16:53
Starkicker
Forum Member

Not quite that easy. It's the first 5 letters of your surname (or your entire surname plus some random letters if you have a short name). Then it's your six digit birthdate scrambled - the scrambling method doesn't appear to be consistent between people. Then it's two of your initials (again some random ones if your parents short-changed you on middle names). Finally there are three random alpha-numerics (they probably aren't random there's probably a complicated algorithm that makes one or two of them check digits)

Ah Candyangel can type faster than me and find a link

Last edited by Starkicker : 01-02-2009 at 16:55. Reason: Typing too slowly
Starkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:56
CANDYANGEL
Forum Member

Is it not on any insurance paper work or anything like that?
Old 01-02-2009, 16:56
NoDice
Inactive Member

Not quite that easy. It's the first 5 letters of your surname (or your entire surname plus some random letters if you have a short name). Then it's your six digit birthdate scrambled - the scrambling method doesn't appear to be consistent between people. Then it's two of your initials (again some random ones if your parents short-changed you on middle names). Finally there are three random alpha-numerics (they probably aren't random there's probably a complicated algorithm that makes one or two of them check digits)

Thats exactly why I said I couldnt be bothered to work it out.
NoDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 17:05
simonp820
Forum Member

Then it's your six digit birthdate scrambled
I never noticed that before!

You learn something everyday!
simonp820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 17:05
Puffle
Forum Member

Thanks for all the attempts at help. I've applied online for a replacement driving licence so I'll give them a call in the morning to see if they can supply me with the number.