Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Countdown - so much better these days!

Old 28-09-2014, 16:40
jo2015
Forum Member

Off the top of my head, I know (or think I know) that The Avengers (only from Diana Rigg's episodes onwards), Dangerman and The Prisoner, The Saint (with Roger Moore).

And I'm excluding PBS channels so I mean Primetime on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.
jo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-09-2014, 17:41
eye3
Forum Member

I think most of the Lew Grade programmes from ITC were as they were made in colour long before the UK changed from b/w. (Plus they had the best theme tunes/openings)
eye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 17:53
Aneechik
Forum Member

Merlin was shown on NBC for one series.
Aneechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 23:57
MoreTears
Forum Member

BBC2's mini-series The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (from 1970) aired on CBS in 1971.
MoreTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:03
simongvs70
Forum Member

I think I've read somewhere that Monty Python & Fireball XL5 were on the Networks.
simongvs70 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 11:57
ftv
Forum Member

The Third Man, a BBC series about an international private detective starring Michael Rennie, aired on NBC in the 1950s and was the first British series on US network TV.
In the 60s ATV made a series of spectaculars starring Tom Jones for ABC, they were shot in colour at Elstree.

CBS produced US versions of Steptoe and Son and Till Death Us Do Part which were very successful; a US version of Dad's Army wasn't.
ftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 13:01
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Short lived ITV Saturday night show from about 4 years ago ĎPenn and Teller: Fool Usí hosted by Jonathan Ross, has just finished airing in primetime on The CW.
Itís actually proved quite successful, so much so that The CW are thinking about commissioning a second series (it was axed after one series by ITV). They may even get Jonathan Ross to host again.
NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 13:48
MoreTears
Forum Member

CBS produced US versions of Steptoe and Son and Till Death Us Do Part which were very successful; a US version of Dad's Army wasn't.
Well, American remakes of UK series don't count for this subject. And Sanford And Son was an NBC series, not CBS.
Old 29-09-2014, 14:12
ftv
Forum Member

Well, American remakes of UK series don't count for this subject. And Sanford And Son was an NBC series, not CBS.
My apologies I hadn't realised you were now moderating this thread
ftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:15
stv viewer
Forum Member

Short lived ITV Saturday night show from about 4 years ago ĎPenn and Teller: Fool Usí hosted by Jonathan Ross, has just finished airing in primetime on The CW.
Itís actually proved quite successful, so much so that The CW are thinking about commissioning a second series (it was axed after one series by ITV). They may even get Jonathan Ross to host again.
I really enjoyed that show was there not an xmas special too
stv viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:26
Gibraltarian
Forum Member

Man in a Suitcase, a 1967Ė1968 British television series produced by Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment. It originally aired in the UK on ITV from 27 September 1967, to 17 April 1968. ABC (USA) broadcast episodes of Man in a Suitcase in the United States from 3 May 1968, to 20 September 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaFKOT2vxRw
Gibraltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:33
Gibraltarian
Forum Member

ITC mystery spy thriller The Saint.

As a result of the strong performance in the US of the first two black-and-white series in first-run syndication, NBC picked up the show as a summer replacement (series 3) in its evening schedule in 1966.
Gibraltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 21:21
bingbong
Forum Member

Off the top of my head, I know (or think I know) that The Avengers (only from Diana Rigg's episodes onwards), Dangerman and The Prisoner, The Saint (with Roger Moore).

And I'm excluding PBS channels so I mean Primetime on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.
The Persuaders
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 21:58
JezR
Forum Member

I think most of the Lew Grade programmes from ITC were as they were made in colour long before the UK changed from b/w. (Plus they had the best theme tunes/openings)
Also the earlier B&W series - Robin Hood (CBS), Sir Lancelot (NBC), Buccaneers (CBS), Francis Drake (NBC) etc.
JezR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00
MoreTears
Forum Member

My apologies I hadn't realised you were now moderating this thread
You should be apologizing for the snark when I accurately noted that a US remake of a UK show is not the same thing as a UK show.
Old Yesterday, 12:01
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Seeing so many examples of British programmes on US networks from back in the 60ís and 70ís makes you realise how much things have changed, and I wonder why that is. It must be due to the Americans as I donít believe the quality of British programmes have diminished in anyway (I believe we make some of the best television in the world, just not as much of it as the US, but its an unfair comparison when you look at the potential talent pool). The American attitude (of the big networks at least) these days seems to be to remake popular British programmes rather than simply import them.

Having said that our attitude has probably changed too, ITV and BBC used to have a lot more US programmes in their primetime schedules than they do these days.
Old Yesterday, 12:12
loracan
Forum Member

I've a feeling that itv and the BBC aren't allowed to show us series at primetime, 'allowed' probably isn't the right word but shows such as Kojak, six million dollar man and starsky and hutch wouldn't get put on a prime Friday/Saturday night schedule again.
loracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:29
stv viewer
Forum Member

I've a feeling that itv and the BBC aren't allowed to show us series at primetime, 'allowed' probably isn't the right word but shows such as Kojak, six million dollar man and starsky and hutch wouldn't get put on a prime Friday/Saturday night schedule again.
That is nonsense Pushing Daises and The Americans both aired on ITV at about 9pm on a Saturday night.
stv viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:29
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

The BBC has a limit on how much Ďforeign contentí they can broadcast on each channel per week, but if they wanted to put the a US drama in their primetime schedule thereís nothing to stop them.
I donít think ITV has any such restrictions whatsoever. They have aired the first 2 seasons of The Americans in their primetime Saturday night schedule (which gradually got later an later as each season went on).