Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Countdown - so much better these days!

Old 02-07-2012, 17:08
Glengavel
Inactive Member

I'm just the opposite. I find Tim silly and funny. But I've sometimes listened to his brother on the radio who came across as a pompous ass.
I refer to him as Jeremy Vile, because I can never remember which Jeremy is which, and it seems quite an appropriate name anyway.
Glengavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-07-2012, 18:24
bobcar
Forum Member

I refer to him as Jeremy Vile, because I can never remember which Jeremy is which, and it seems quite an appropriate name anyway.
Doesn't that mean you confuse him with the real Jeremy Vile (on ITV opposite The Wright Stuff)?
bobcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:24
Ocado
Forum Member

I've been out of touch with Countdown lately. Have Rick Wakeman or Ken Bruce been on since Nick started?

Thanks
Neither under Nick Hewer, although Ken was on during Jeff's last series. Week of the 7th to 11th of November 2011.

Wakeman hasn't been on Countdown since Series 59, which was Carol Vorderman's last series. His week was 14 to 18th July 2008.

There are some people I would love to see back in DC, and some I wish would never come back at all. Giles (or is it Gyles) Brandreth will not be back on again apparently after his appearance in 2009 was spent nearly molesting poor Susie Dent. I gather she said that she would never sit in DC with him again, so I doubt he will be back on anytime soon.
Ocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:31
Old Bloke
Forum Member

There are some people I would love to see back in DC, and some I wish would never come back at all. Giles (or is it Gyles) Brandreth will not be back on again apparently after his appearance in 2009 was spent nearly molesting poor Susie Dent. I gather she said that she would never sit in DC with him again, so I doubt he will be back on anytime soon.
Good Lord, where did you get that from? Although I can't say I'm surprised!
Old Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08
Glengavel
Inactive Member

Doesn't that mean you confuse him with the real Jeremy Vile (on ITV opposite The Wright Stuff)?
That's what I meant - Vine/Kyle : Vile
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47
Ken Tun
Forum Member

Giles (or is it Gyles) Brandreth will not be back on again apparently after his appearance in 2009 was spent nearly molesting poor Susie Dent. I gather she said that she would never sit in DC with him again, so I doubt he will be back on anytime soon.
I remember that. He was all over her for the whole week, invading her space so that she kept trying to back away from him. It was embarrassing to watch.
Ken Tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57
5 a day
Forum Member

Neither under Nick Hewer, although Ken was on during Jeff's last series. Week of the 7th to 11th of November 2011.

Wakeman hasn't been on Countdown since Series 59, which was Carol Vorderman's last series. His week was 14 to 18th July 2008.

Thanks for the info.

Shame about Gyles, I know he can be overbearing although I didn't realise he'd done that. When Countdown started I remember he seemed to have more enthusiasm for the programme than everyone else put together.
5 a day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39
Glengavel
Inactive Member

I'm not a great fan of Giles Brandreth, but he was on Just A Minute a few weeks ago and started off one round by saying "I once went out with Ed Balls' mother Ophelia, who failed to live up to her name". I haven't laughed so much in ages, and the studio audience's laughing all but drowned out much of the rest of his piece.
Old 03-07-2012, 13:43
katherine500000
Forum Member

Id love to see Terry Wogan in the DC with susie.I cant remember if he has ever done countdown before
katherine500000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 14:23
valkay
Forum Member

Id love to see Terry Wogan in the DC with susie.I cant remember if he has ever done countdown before

I seem to vaguely remember him being on.
valkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:45
Ocado
Forum Member

Good Lord, where did you get that from? Although I can't say I'm surprised!
The sad git that I am, I have the Countdown Wiki permanently bookmarked. It has all the shows, plus who's coming up on DC and all past series.

As for Terry Wogan, his first appearance was 8 May 1997 and last appeared on 16 August 1999.

DC guests coming up are in order (on the Wiki page anyway):

Jo Brand
Dave Spikey
Nicky Campbell
Mark Foster (swimmer and Strictly contestant)

For me, 2 out of 4 isn't bad. Although I can take or leave Campbell, Foster is so boring I fall asleep when he's on screen.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:33
nortonian2001
Forum Member

Thanks for the info.

Shame about Gyles, I know he can be overbearing although I didn't realise he'd done that. When Countdown started I remember he seemed to have more enthusiasm for the programme than everyone else put together.
Susie guested twice on Wordaholics, a Radio 4 panel show hosted by Gyles, earlier this year. I think it's pretty unlikely she'd have accepted the invitation to appear if she had got him canned from C'down. Tad hypocritical, no?

I used to work with her and still live very near her, so I'll ask her for you next time our paths cross on the nursery run.
nortonian2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 21:04
Ocado
Forum Member

Maybe it wasn't Susie herself, just the Countdown or C4 bosses saying no more Gyles on there?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23
Nesta Robbins
Forum Member

Maybe it wasn't Susie herself, just the Countdown or C4 bosses saying no more Gyles on there?
I also remember cringing as Giles poured over Susie, salivating at her every word as she desperately leaned back as far as her chair would let her. I think by now Susie would have a fair bit of sway, but equally bosses would want to show her comfortable with the guest, rather than squirming!
Nesta Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:45
Ken Tun
Forum Member

I also remember cringing as Giles poured over Susie, salivating at her every word as she desperately leaned back as far as her chair would let her. I think by now Susie would have a fair bit of sway, but equally bosses would want to show her comfortable with the guest, rather than squirming!
IIRC he was also very tactile, even taking her hand in his at one point which she was clearly not comfortable with.
Ken Tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:28
MarkBeales
Inactive Member

Lovely cream trousers from Rachel showing off her wonderful arse! I'm sure I can see her panties through them!
MarkBeales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:10
5 a day
Forum Member

Lovely cream trousers from Rachel showing off her wonderful arse! I'm sure I can see her panties through them!
Would you like us to suggest some websites for you?
5 a day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:17
valkay
Forum Member

and she Orgasmed.
Old 04-07-2012, 20:11
Ocado
Forum Member

I thought that outfit was awful, but then I am a leg man.
Old 06-07-2012, 17:47
valkay
Forum Member

I'm glad the chap won today, because he was under orders from his wife to take her the teapot.
Old 14-07-2012, 06:57
guernseysnail
Forum Member

Normally I like Jo Brand..but I find her highly annoying on Countdown!
guernseysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 23:12
Ocado
Forum Member

I love her daft words, she makes me laugh as well. Dave Spikey next, so another good week for me. Then Nicky Campbell who is OK, followed by the dullard Mark Foster.
Old 13-09-2012, 23:23
Corabal
Forum Member

Bump, who watched today's special?

Husband vs Wife special tomorrow, regular series back on Monday
Corabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 01:20
Brian Reynolds
Forum Member

Rachel has married now. I wonder if Monday's show will refer to it?.It depends how long ago the recordings were done..
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 14:07
katherine500000
Forum Member

Will be glad to have it back on as normal.Afternoons just arent the same without Countdown and a nice cup of tea
katherine500000 is offline   Reply With Quote