Options

Woolworths "Worth it" freeview box really is worth it.

Mr NMr N Posts: 2,917
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a freeview box called "worth it" from Woolworths for just £19.99 as a send box for Uni and let me tell you it really was worth a lot more then £20.
The box is full of great features, like being able to freeze the screen, this may not seem like much but it's very useful when your trying to read something or trying to copy a phone number or something like that. Another amazing feature of the box is that you can move the position of the channels so that when you are using the channel up and channel down buttons you skip to the channels you want, for example I can now go from channel 4 to E4 with the push of 1 button once. If that wasn't enough you can also have six favourite lists, as well as being able to change the names of each of the list you can have as many channels you want on your list. It doesn't end there, this box is so great that it lest you rename your channels to whatever you want. The box also shines when it comes to searching or updating your box because you can search by frequency or by channel. The box finishes by having 3 playable games which are not a big deal but it's nice to have them. This box has tons of other features which I still haven't discovered, so if you are looking for a second or a cheap box with some great features get this one from Woolworths.

Comments

• Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this the box?

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50941927

Sound good, am after a new cheap box as mine seems like it's about to die!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks very good value.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Looks good - I do like a good bargain! Would get one for the bedroom if I could get a decent signal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Anyone know what software this box has on it?? Certainly doesn't sound like another Vestel clone?
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does indeed sound like Vestel, the channel re-naming feature alone suggest it as most boxes don't allow it. But the games are new...

Paddy :D
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr N wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've just bought a freeview box called "worth it" from Woolworths for just £19.99 as a send box for Uni and let me tell you it really was worth a lot more then £20.
    The box is full of great features, like being able to freeze the screen, this may not seem like much but it's very useful when your trying to read something or trying to copy a phone number or something like that. Another amazing feature of the box is that you can move the position of the channels so that when you are using the channel up and channel down buttons you skip to the channels you want, for example I can now go from channel 4 to E4 with the push of 1 button once. If that wasn't enough you can also have six favourite lists, as well as being able to change the names of each of the list you can have as many channels you want on your list. It doesn't end there, this box is so great that it lest you rename your channels to whatever you want. The box also shines when it comes to searching or updating your box because you can search by frequency or by channel. The box finishes by having 3 playable games which are not a big deal but it's nice to have them. This box has tons of other features which I still haven't discovered, so if you are looking for a second or a cheap box with some great features get this one from Woolworths.

Sounds like the Nokia 221t :rolleyes: (snake on a DTT box was cool!)
    Seriously though it does sound cool for £19.99
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,675
    Forum Member
    The ability to have up to six favourite lists is certainly a good feature.

That way you could have 1 list for the BBC channels, 1 for the ITV channels, 1 for the C4 channels, 1 for the Five channels, 1 for the Sky channels and then 1 more for other broadcasters.

Or you could have separate lists for different channel genres perhaps, so 1 for general entertainment, 1 for news and factual, 1 for lifestyle and culture, 1 for film and music, 1 for kids and family and another for radio.

Definitely a bargain when you compare the spec to other similarly priced STBs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Nice. It seems to have optical audio out as well.

One question, does it have SVID output over the scarts? Or is it just RGB and Composite?

If it has SVID as well then it's just become the #1 box for features on sale now, outside PVR land, and at one of the lowest prices.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another amazing feature of the box is that you can move the position of the channels so that when you are using the channel up and channel down buttons you skip to the channels you want, for example I can now go from channel 4 to E4 with the push of 1 button once. ... It doesn't end there, this box is so great that it lest you rename your channels to whatever you want.

This sounds like the box I am looking for. A few more questions please:

Can you confirm whether moving the position of the channels actually changes their numbers, or just changes the order you step through them with channel up and channel down?

Can you delete unwanted (i.e shopping) channels?

Does the remote control have a TV/ DTV button (i.e to control the scart control pin) so you can toggle between digital and analogue tv?

Does the remote control have a button to step through the different widescreen modes i.e to overide any automatic settings (for when the broadcasters get it wrong)

When you are watching a program, can you view the now/next data for other channels while still viewing the program you are watching?

What is Woolies policy on returns? (i.e if I buy it and don't like it, can I take it straight back)

Is it in all Woolies stores (we only have a small one up here) or do you have to buy it on line and pay postage?

If it meets all those criteria, it just may be the box I have been looking for.

You might want to go and add a review of the box here:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/reviews/
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    Another amazing feature of the box is that you can move the position of the channels so that when you are using the channel up and channel down buttons you skip to the channels you want, for example I can now go from channel 4 to E4 with the push of 1 button once.

Wow how amazing. Think of all the time you wasted pressing 2 and 9.
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    could we have some screenshots up on here please :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote: »
    Wow how amazing. Think of all the time you wasted pressing 2 and 9.

You may make fun at that, but I rate the ability to change the (rather stupid) default channel order into something more sensible for me as an essential feature of a box. But sadly a feature you don't get to find out about until you have bought the box, but then it's too late if it doesn't have that feature.

My existing OnDigital box allows that, and I now have the 29 "good" freeview channels all grouped together as channels 1 to 29. So I can quickly browse what's on just by pressing channel + and channel -, knowing there are no useless shopping channels in the middle of the decent ones, and knowing they are in in a sensible order.

If this box DOES have that feature, then i'm off to buy one.
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    I already told you about 2 months ago that the daewoos have that feature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote: »
    I already told you about 2 months ago that the daewoos have that feature.
    Yes, but you didn't say WHICH daewoos, and are they still available, and if so where from.

If someone will confirm for sure that this feature is on the Woolies box, then that will do for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought one of these boxes for my parents, and set it up today.

It looks really nice 'in the flesh': it's quite small (I was able to rest it on top of a 14" portable), and has a pleasing blue 'on' light (red for standby). It certainly doesn't look like it comes from a 'value' range.

The menus (installation, 'now'/'next' etc)) also look really nice, it has an epg (which isn't mentioned in the specs), and the picture quality (using a booster aerial) is excellent.

You can choose to install either 'all' or just the 'free' channels. The tv channels and radio stations have seperate menus, instead of being lumped together on the guide (the only other box I have seen this on is the Sony).

I wasn't able to pick up Channel 5 or it's digital channels, Sky Three/News/Travel or UKTV History, but I'm going to try asap with a better aerial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought one of these boxes for my parents, and set it up today.

It looks really nice 'in the flesh': it's quite small (I was able to rest it on top of a 14" portable), and has a pleasing blue 'on' light (red for standby). It certainly doesn't look like it comes from a 'value' range.

The menus (installation, 'now'/'next' etc)) also look really nice, it has an epg (which isn't mentioned in the specs), and the picture quality (using a booster aerial) is excellent.

You can choose to install either 'all' or just the 'free' channels. The tv channels and radio stations have seperate menus, instead of being lumped together on the guide (the only other box I have seen this on is the Sony).

I wasn't able to pick up Channel 5 or it's digital channels, Sky Three/News/Travel or UKTV History, but I'm going to try asap with a better aerial.

How odd i got this box for my parents about a week ago and it is doing brilliantly but has issues with those channels too. The other box which died after a smoking fit of somekind didn't have a problem with them. I just put it down to building work over the road.

That said, nice box for £20!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias. wrote: »
    How odd i got this box for my parents about a week ago and it is doing brilliantly but has issues with those channels too.

But you were able to pick those channels up, weren't you? And if so, what's the quality of the picture/sound?
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I have a digilogic freeview box at the moment and the 'worth it' box seems like a better choice as iam after a box that you can put the channels in the order you want.. I run the digilogic box on my portable telly in the bedroom on a basic arial but wondered if the worth it box would give same/better reception.

Can anyone post a pic of the guide/menu?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That looks different then the one I have. The remote is different too. Mine was from tesco and is the DSTB1500
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    This sounds like the box I am looking for. A few more questions please:

Can you confirm whether moving the position of the channels actually changes their numbers, or just changes the order you step through them with channel up and channel down?

Can you delete unwanted (i.e shopping) channels?

Does the remote control have a TV/ DTV button (i.e to control the scart control pin) so you can toggle between digital and analogue tv?

Does the remote control have a button to step through the different widescreen modes i.e to overide any automatic settings (for when the broadcasters get it wrong)

When you are watching a program, can you view the now/next data for other channels while still viewing the program you are watching?

What is Woolies policy on returns? (i.e if I buy it and don't like it, can I take it straight back)

Is it in all Woolies stores (we only have a small one up here) or do you have to buy it on line and pay postage?

If it meets all those criteria, it just may be the box I have been looking for.

You might want to go and add a review of the box here:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/reviews/

By moving the channels you are not able to change the official position of the channels but it does change the order in which you view the channels. eg. you can skip from channel 4 to E4 by pressing page up or page down.

Yes you can delete all the channels you don't want.

It has a tv/vcr button which means that you can switch from tv to vcr.

Yes, you can change the size of the screen.

Yes you can view the epg for other channels while watching another channel.

I'm not sure what woolworths policy is but if you are un-happy with the product you should be able to return it.

I went to a small wollworths store but it should be in most stores.

hope that helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you can't have say E4 as channel number 5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    You may make fun at that, but I rate the ability to change the (rather stupid) default channel order into something more sensible for me as an essential feature of a box. But sadly a feature you don't get to find out about until you have bought the box, but then it's too late if it doesn't have that feature.

My existing OnDigital box allows that, and I now have the 29 "good" freeview channels all grouped together as channels 1 to 29. So I can quickly browse what's on just by pressing channel + and channel -, knowing there are no useless shopping channels in the middle of the decent ones, and knowing they are in in a sensible order.

If this box DOES have that feature, then i'm off to buy one.

yes, the box has this feature but be warned that the channel number will still be showjn as the original channel number e.g. if you put five life in position number 6 you will go from channel five to five life but the number will still be shown as 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you can't have say E4 as channel number 5?

yes you can, but you will still see the original number of E4 when you switch to E4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might goto my local woolies on saturday and have a look at them. I'm a bit worried though if the box doesn't pick up all the channels like my digilogic does. I don't want to change my airiel as iam very happy with it.