Options

Work unbearable as not conceiving

shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
Forum Member
I have been trying to conceive with OH almost 6 years now, I have a son from previous partner and OH is childless,

I work in a hospital and our base is next to the labour ward

Seeing labouring women and people taking home their newborns is breaking my heart, I can't cope.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's such a serious problem then you may need to reconsider your job (or at least your current appointment).

Or adopt? I really wish more people would adopt.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Have you both had tests to find out if there's any issues?
    Also (and I know you know this) stressing about not conceiving is a pretty good way of stopping conceiving. So imo you need to try and find a way of putting getting pregnant right to the back of your head. Stop trying to conceive and it will likely happen when you least expect it. Have fun with your son and enjoy each other.
    And yes, I know that's far easier said than done but if medically all is well that is imo your best course of action.
    As for work is there any chance of a transfer so it could help you not think about getting pregnant constantly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I know it doesn't feel like it but 6 months isn't really that long when trying to conceive. Could it be you are stressing too much about it? Try to relax, enjoy it, don't think of it as means to an end. I know some women who are and were completely obsessed with pregnancy, they charted their temperature daily, and the whole process by their admission was tighter than a military routine. When they relaxed a little it happened.

Op says 6 Years not months.

OP - have you both been checked to see if there is a problem with either of you? have you looked at all possibilities - IVF, Adoption etc?

Are you looking for advice on how to conceive or advice on how to deal with other people being pregnant?
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I know it doesn't feel like it but 6 months isn't really that long when trying to conceive. Could it be you are stressing too much about it? Try to relax, enjoy it, don't think of it as means to an end. I know some women who are and were completely obsessed with pregnancy, they charted their temperature daily, and the whole process by their admission was tighter than a military routine. When they relaxed a little it happened.

Six YEARS is a long time, which is what the OP said!
  • Options
    Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Six YEARS is a long time, which is what the OP said!

Ah whoops. My mistake.:o
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get both of you checked out as a basic check that theres nothing wrong with the basic plumbing but also check diet/stress levels for both of you as they can influence the chance of getting up the duff
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Nothing basically wrong on checks

U don't know what advice I want but currently every shift at work makes me cry and that can't be good?

I would consider adoption also and am looking into it

I feel very defective and am on the verge of telling OH to find someone else who can conceive and carry to term
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are your finances hun?

Maybe it is time to consider having some private tests.

What have you and OH had tested so far?

No offence but if you already have a child the issue may not lie with you!
  • Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say that stress is very powerful in stopping conception.

You have said you get stressed every day being next to the Labour ward.

Therefore I think the advice given above to either change jobs or perhaps easier to change locations might help and I would think is preferable to medical intervention. Do you think that this is an option worth exploring say for at least a one year period ?
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh honey that must be unbearable. Is your boss someone you can talk to about this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have my deepest heartfelt sympathy!!! Does your other half have much sympathy with how hard it is for you to have to do that job? Do other people? I don't know if it helps, but I for one would not blame you at all if you just walked out of it, even if you don't have another job lined up yet. I have suffered from infertility, and I probably would have suicided if I had to do that job.

Have you thought about conceiving through donor embryo? I believe in some places like the Czech Republic and India it is, comparitively speaking, not so expensive - much, much less so than here or in America - without waiting lists and the success rates are very high because they're created from the eggs of very young and healthy women. Caucasian babies from Czech, racially Indian babies from India.
  • Options
    SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Nothing basically wrong on checks

U don't know what advice I want but currently every shift at work makes me cry and that can't be good?

I would consider adoption also and am looking into it

I feel very defective and am on the verge of telling OH to find someone else who can conceive and carry to term

So have you been offered any treatment? If you've got unexplained infertility there are various options, clomid is usually the first line of treatment and you can have that for free usually even if you already have children.

Re your job - I'm assuming you're an NHS employee, can you not apply for other available jobs or put in for a transfer?

It took me 10 years to conceive my son so I really sympathise, I was offered a job in obstetrics in that time and had to turn it down because I couldn't deal with it so I can understand a little of what you may be going through.

I imagine that you are probably more important to your partner than having children, he's not left after all. It's you he wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    you have my deepest heartfelt sympathy!!! Does your other half have much sympathy with how hard it is for you to have to do that job? Do other people? I don't know if it helps, but I for one would not blame you at all if you just walked out of it, even if you don't have another job lined up yet. I have suffered from infertility, and I probably would have suicided if I had to do that job.

Have you thought about conceiving through donor embryo? I believe in some places like the Czech Republic and India it is, comparitively speaking, not so expensive - much, much less so than here or in America - without waiting lists and the success rates are very high because they're created from the eggs of very young and healthy women. Caucasian babies from Czech, racially Indian babies from India.

She's had tests done and they have found nothing wrong so talking about a donor egg is extremely drastic, she would have been told if she had no egg reserves and needed a donor. It's far more likely she would need fertility drugs or IVF than a donor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    but funny though ;)

If it's such a serious problem then you may need to reconsider your job (or at least your current appointment).

Or adopt? I really wish more people would adopt.

Really? Exactly how many children have YOU adopted? Because that kind of statement generally comes from people who have zero experience of the adoption system.

As the head of Barnardo's said last year the vast majority of people in this country wouldn't be allowed to adopt their own children if they had to go through the same process.

It's monumentally difficult to adopt at present. And only 60 babies were adopted in the entire UK last year. So the vast majority of people who adopt are not going to be adopting the lovely cuddly baby you imagine. Children are left in dreadful situations for a long time before they are removed for adoption these days and it's much more likely they would be adopting an extremely damaged victim of abuse than anything else. It's not something everybody can take on, particularly when they already have another child.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    Really? Exactly how many children have YOU adopted? Because that kind of statement generally comes from people who have zero experience of the adoption system.

As the head of Barnardo's said last year the vast majority of people in this country wouldn't be allowed to adopt their own children if they had to go through the same process.

It's monumentally difficult to adopt at present. And only 60 babies were adopted in the entire UK last year. So the vast majority of people who adopt are not going to be adopting the lovely cuddly baby you imagine. Children are left in dreadful situations for a long time before they are removed for adoption these days and it's much more likely they would be adopting an extremely damaged victim of abuse than anything else. It's not something everybody can take on, particularly when they already have another child.

I have no experience of adoption, but even I know the above to be true! It's very ignorant of people to say "just adopt" as if it were that easy. Even if the parents qualify for adoption, it is most likely that they would have to adopt an older child or a child with special needs.
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met my present OH when I was 47 and he had no children, I had 3 grown up children. At first it was a problem as he desparately wanted children of his own. Unfortunately I never conceived with him and then hit my menopause. I remember saying to him that it would be better if he met someone who could give him children but he stuck with me. My youngest son is now very bonded with him and he no longer feels so intense about having his own, although I think it will always be a cause for regret. Stressing yourself out about having more children when you are thankfully a mother to a healthy child already will only cause you grief. Please try to come to terms with your situation. You never know, it might still happen for you but, if it doesn't then count the blessings you do have. All the best.
  • Options
    GoldcupGoldcup Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I agree with another poster, stop thinking about it, give up in a way. I was trying so hard to get pregnant with my partner, he had 4 kids already as is older than me and as soon as I thought Im not even going to worry anyway if it happens it happens and within few weeks I was pregnant, then with second because I assumed it would take so long I nearly fell to the floor when it only took 4 months lol. The main medicine is don't "try". Your job will make it that much harder but Im not sure what to suggest apart from maybe ask to be moved to a different part of the hospital?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's had tests done and they have found nothing wrong so talking about a donor egg is extremely drastic, she would have been told if she had no egg reserves and needed a donor. It's far more likely she would need fertility drugs or IVF than a donor.

well Smirsk said she is looking into adoption and receiving a donated embryo is kind of like adoption, except the adoption happens in the womb. It's also something that can be done without all the red tape of adoption and is highly likely to be a very quick way to get a baby, after six years without one. Just a thought - I entirely agree IVF with own eggs, fertility drugs, etc, are things that could be looked at with hope.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathies OP, please do see if you can get any further assistance. I assume your partner has been checked too? You might find that being proactive with treatment might make you feel more positive. I know that I feel at my lowest between IVF cycles as I feel utterly helpless. Have you looked at the website fertility friends? There are lots of lovely ladies there who can offer a friendly ear.

Do please talk to your boss or HR if you can. People are an awful lot more sympathetic than you think. Promise :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    well Smirsk said she is looking into adoption and receiving a donated embryo is kind of like adoption, except the adoption happens in the womb. It's also something that can be done without all the red tape of adoption and is highly likely to be a very quick way to get a baby, after six years without one. Just a thought - I entirely agree IVF with own eggs, fertility drugs, etc, are things that could be looked at with hope.

For a start there is a massive shortage of donor eggs in the UK at the moment and as she probably doesn't need donor eggs she wouldn't be offered them.

Also if she does it abroad it's hugely expensive and also unnecessary if she has not been told there is a problem with her eggs. It would be much more sensible and cheap to go for IVF or fertility drugs first. Donor eggs are a last resort for people who have a specific set of problems which the OP doesn't have.

It isn't just some kind of quick fix.

With respect, you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a start there is a massive shortage of donor eggs in the UK at the moment and as she probably doesn't need donor eggs she wouldn't be offered them.

Also if she does it abroad it's hugely expensive and also unnecessary if she has not been told there is a problem with her eggs. It would be much more sensible and cheap to go for IVF or fertility drugs first. Donor eggs are a last resort for people who have a specific set of problems which the OP doesn't have.

Absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you Shadow. You're totally right.

And I'm still waiting for the OP to confirm exactly how many children he's adopted to berate the childless that they should be doing it.

It drives me mad that those who have children easily always just say 'Oh well why don't you just adopt'. And the same question should be asked of them - why did you have your own children when you could adopt? The answer is for exactly the same reason that you want to. They shouldn't get to dictate what other people should or shouldn't do when they haven't bothered to do it themselves.

It's a typical reply from a Daily Wail reader in my opinion! I just don't think anyone who hasn't been through IVF or adoption can understand how instrusive and hreatbreaking both are. I know that we said that if IVF didn't work then we'd adopt but actually underestimated the sheer emotional toll of IVF. That's not to say I regret, I am stronger and the worries of life that most have do not phase me that much and I've met some amazing people. But I also think that simonp820 misses the fact that when you're childless and know that you'll have problems you take both the GP's advice - in our case IVF is viable and we had hope that it would work so you trust in them more than social services. And you do what you think will work best. The press coverage of adoption and problems do not give a positive view and on paper at least, IVF has more success than adoption. Plus why can't the childless hope to experience pregnancy? If a smoking and drinking woman who conceives by accident can, then why can't someone who has jumped through a million hoops from diet to lifestyle do that too?
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    How on earth is that funny? Oh I know a joke! I work with a group of mums and I'm the only one who can't have children and I've been spreading my legs at doctors for over 10 years in the hope someone can tell me what's wrong. Oh my God! Pick me up someone I'm splitting my sides with the hilarity....

It's almost as funny as your assumption that the childless should all adopt. We are not 'clean up operations' for the pregnant but real humans. For me and my husband we're real humans who have endured years of medical investigations, of injections (120 on my last cycle all self administered), operations and happiness at a positive pregnancy test and the grief of loss. Adoption and letting social services into your life sound so easy when you've not been through all that first. When you've endured all that pressure on your marriage. Sometimes you have to hang on to some privacy.

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck yet Shadow. Hope it happens for you soon, you too OP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you have IVF shmisk? My friend was going to have IVF and started taking Clomid first and got pregnant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes I do. I have years of experience with infertility! And I was talking about donor embryos, not donor eggs.