Options

I think it's time to let Torchwood go...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask my question here.

Is Torchwood the only spin-off of any TV show in history to be named as an anagram of the original?

A reply would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Is Torchwood the only spin-off of any TV show in history to be named as an anagram of the original?

Apart from "Club Moo", the short-lived Columbo spin-off all about cattle rustlers, yes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from "Club Moo", the short-lived Columbo spin-off all about cattle rustlers, yes.

:D snigger
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    A better spin off from Who would have been the Time Agents. Could have done a lot with that and maintained the same tone as Who.

My trouble with Torchwood was always that the tone wobbled about so violently and adult versions of kids shows are always going to be stunted by the knowledge that there will be a desire for those kids to watch it.

The so called adult themes were a but "meh!" and when it did get seriously dark in seasons 3 and 4, no-one wanted to watch it anymore: kids or adults.

It all just seemed wrong somehow. However they should still be spinning off shows as eventually they will hit gold.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree Torchwood the series is likely 100% dead, I don't think it will be the last we hear from Torchwood. Admittedly, it would have been nice to have a special or a minisode during the 50th... An episode with the Doctor interacting with Torchwood of the past, maybe even the harsher newer Doctor actually getting along better with the way they do things. Or maybe a present day episode where the rift starts playing up and the Doctor goes seeking an expert (Jack), bumping into a few Torchwood cast along the way, and it's sort of a final finale goodbye to Jack.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The so called adult themes were a but "meh!" and when it did get seriously dark in seasons 3 and 4, no-one wanted to watch it anymore: kids or adults.

O.k... Series 4 was bunk, but Series 3 was amazing and lots of people watched it. Children of Earth was absolutely phenomenal.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    O.k... Series 4 was bunk, but Series 3 was amazing and lots of people watched it. Children of Earth was absolutely phenomenal.

Yep, in fact the only reason we got a Series 4 is because so many people were impressed by Series 3.

In fact looking at it like that, the only thing Children of Earth ever did wrong was be so good that it made Miracle Day happen. :D
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    A better spin off from Who would have been the Time Agents. Could have done a lot with that and maintained the same tone as Who.

My trouble with Torchwood was always that the tone wobbled about so violently and adult versions of kids shows are always going to be stunted by the knowledge that there will be a desire for those kids to watch it.

It all just seemed wrong somehow. However they should still be spinning off shows as eventually they will hit gold.

I'd disagree a little with this. Series three was widely well received as drama, not just a sci-fi spin-off show.

But the weird Americanisation of series 4, the slow pace and the ultimate damp squib of the reason for the miracle was a turn off for many (thopugh I still personally liked it!)
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,873
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

Agree. A mate of mine who looks down on scifi and thinks its ridiculous watched it when broadcast (he didn't know it was scifi at first) and absolutely loved it. He actually raved about it to me.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's definitely room for more. :)

RTD and Phil Ford (runner of the brilliant Wizards vs Aliens, which is still on iPlayer) should join forces to make it.
  • Options
    Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a return for Jack on DW could be open more than an actual revival of Torchhwood itself.