Options

Last Movie You Watched? (Part 7)

Comments

• Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw The Nice Guys - and really enjoyed it. I liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, an earlier film by Shane Black - and this is in a similar vein. It's a comedy-thriller set in the late 70s. And one other thing, there's a young actress in it called Angourie Rice. She is going to be an absolute heart-breaker in a few years time, mark my words.
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Finding Dory -7/10-
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I've just been to see Ab Fab - was prepared for disappointment, but really enjoyed it. It's not perfect by any means, but far better than the trailer made it appear
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sense of humour must be disappearing with age because Ab Fab was pretty awful overall....lazy,plotless and stuffing it with celebrities where you'd prefer a decent script with funny jokes it is trading on the reputation of the tv show but really not good .....half a dozen laughs at the very most.4/10
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clash By Night (1963) - Caught it on Talking Pictures TV (Freeview 81. Very good channel!), and enjoyed it. Strange to see Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine etc.) playing a crazed criminal! 7.5/10
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Just re- watched Noah and I really can't decide if I like this film or not. Parts of it are very good and other bits just awful. Main criticism is how are Noah and his family going to repopulate the earth without resorting to incest ? Unlike in the bible, the sons, with one exception, don't have wives.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Equals 7.5/10

Starring Nicholas Hoult and Kristen Stewart.

I choose, generally, to avoid films with Kristen 'Cardboard Cutout' Stewart, but she was perfect for this film because she is so wooden :p

It's about an emotionless society where a disease causes some to develop feelings, which they try and hide as they will be sent to The Den otherwise. These two fall in love and all that's involved with this.

I enjoyed this film a lot, surprisingly - Hoult was very good and even Stewart worked well, their chemistry was great and the subject is something I do enjoy (I very much like Equilibrium too).

Glad I took the plunge.

ETA: Guy Pearce has a medium-sized role too.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweeney! and Sweeney2 (7/10)

Not as good as the series, but still worth watching for nostalgia and they are as PC as a brick to the head :D
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Education 7.5/10
    Amazon Prime Video

An unexpected treat with great acting by all.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venus. Amazingly good, i was riveted all the way through. Mainly thanks to Peter O Toole, who got an 8th Oscar nomination (and never won once, a record, though did get an honorary Oscar). Was on bbc, and no doubt will be several more times, well worth catching.
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,169
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) - 9/10
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Independence Day: Resurgence!

Very similar to 1996 classic 'Mars Attacks' in genre and over-arching theme of Earth vs. Disgusting space invaders.

Also, the reclining seats at the Odeon were very comfortable and very reasonably priced.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Paths of Glory - Stanley Kubrick's powerful WW1 drama starring Kirk Douglas as an army officer who has to lead his men in an impossible attack on a well defended German position. When the attack fails he has to defend three of his men on trumped up charges of cowardice.
  • Options
    Ronald_DixonRonald_Dixon Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Wheelchair based weepie - Me Before You

Khaleesi was adorable.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Deadpool.

Obviously overhyped because it didn't live up to my expectations. It was ok, but I was quite disappointed with it.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ab Fab the movie. Silly but good fun...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now You See Me 2

Story wasn't brilliant, but a few decent set pieces, especially the one with the playing card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sing Street

Terrific!
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched ghostbusters at the weekend never seen but give a 6 out of 10.
    and is a really 80s film to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Paradine Case (1947) - 7/10
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    The Godfather: Part 2 - 9/10

I thought it was interesting and very well-acted but the ending felt rushed. Because it's part of a saga it also felt a bit incomplete; that's not the fault of the film but I know there's a whole third film left to round off the story. Viewers in 1974 wouldn't have known that of course.

The parallel timelines were creative and Robert De Niro was excellent although I didn't realise it was him until afterwards (he was a lot skinnier back then :) )
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Courage Under Fire [1996]. Director: Edward Zwick

6/10

Denzel Washington's army officer investigating helicopter commander Meg Ryan's death during the war in Iraq, trying to uncover the truth before she can be awarded a posthumous medal.

City Heat [1984]. Director: Richard Benjamin

5/10

Unsatisfactory pairing of Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds in a 1930's-set crime movie. Screenwriter Blake Edwards used a pseudonym after falling out with Eastwood and losing the director's gig.

The Hi-Jackers [1963]. Director: Jim O'Connolly

6/10

Cheap crime drama from low budget studio Butcher's stars Anthony Booth as a truck driver tracking down the gang that nicked his load.

Smokescreen [1964]. Director: Jim O'Connolly

7/10

Another Butcher's cheapie. Peter Vaughan gives a wonderful performance as a tight-fisted insurance investigator discovering dodgy dealings on the south coast. Makes the most of its locations briefly including the now lost Brighton West Pier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His Girl Friday (1940) - 7.5/10
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,034
    Forum Member
    Ivan's Childhood - Andrei Tarkovsky. 10/10

Highly influential director's 1962 debut.
  • Options
    SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Heartless 2024 tv series, great series enjoyed it allot. Really hope they do another series or a movie.
This discussion has been closed.