Options

Will race be brought into this?

gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
Forum Member
✭✭
As the only two dark skinned black females didn't make it? This is just a question so don't attack me.

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why. only 2 of the final 16 were black so even if you got a computer to randomly pick six there'd be a strong likelihood of them not making it. You'd need at least 8 seats before you'd expect one of them to make it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I don't think so, a lot of the groups are black, although Karen especially should have a seat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    And Keira, Havva and Monica provide some diversity
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying contestants are put through due to skin colour.. it wouldn`t be a singing competition then would it.. and it would also be racist to take skin colour into account. . Are you a Leftie by any chance
  • Options
    XadXad Posts: 1,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it won't, the final six were just better and have far bigger personalities. Just singing ability won't get you far on a show like that, the ones who didn't get a seat will be forgotten whereas if someone like Louisa Johnson was kicked off, it would cause a big fuss as not only is she a great singer, but has a lot of charm, personality, stage presence, memorable performances etc.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    dont think skin colour is an issue at all

in the final 6 are a couple of white girls, one mixed race and three that are a bit orange
  • Options
    Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there has always been threads and discussions about race on x factor forum.

Nothing new but is was a little sad that Sharon and Charlie are out.
  • Options
    SPECKLEDUSTSPECKLEDUST Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears the black skinned girls were picked off.It was obvious to look at.
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the most diverse years on X factor so i highly doubt it. The other two just weren't good enough. Also Kiera and Havva seem to have a bit of ethnicity to them and maybe Monica has too.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew this would come up.

IMO, 3 of the girls were a shoo in before the show even started (Kiera, Monica and Louisa). That really only left 3 seats up for grabs. Hevva was the surprise package for me and totally deserved her seat which then left 2 spots.
    Lauren did enough to get her seat and the only one I don't really think is all that is the blonde girl who sang Amazing Grace.
    I'd have kept Sharon over her but that was the only decision I didn't agree with.
    Karen, I didn't think was up to scratch tbh
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears the black skinned girls were picked off.It was obvious to look at.

Not to people who aren't consumed with focussing on this issue. ^_^
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is where its wrong they would worry about putting through three white females where they shouldn't .

They need to make sure the final three female females has one kind of urban type act when the public won't take to them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    As the only two dark skinned black females didn't make it? This is just a question so don't attack me.

LOL, you really expect a frank and open conversation on race and colourism on DS? Seriously, as a forum member of colour you should know what it is.
  • Options
    Belpry_1Belpry_1 Posts: 3,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for people mentioning other "ethnics" are through, they are but Monica has a Greek background & I think Havva is of Turkish descent. So never-the-less they are still both European/Caucasian. Kiera is obviously part white too. I think what the OP is referring to is the only girls of full black/African descent have being side-lined. Which nobody can really deny was the case. Plus, sadly this isn't even the first year that's happened either.
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Belpry_1 wrote: »
    As for people mentioning other "ethnics" are through, they are but Monica has a Greek background & I think Havva is of Turkish descent. So never-the-less they are still both European/Caucasian. Kiera is obviously part white too. I think what the OP is referring to is the only girls of full black/African descent have being side-lined. Which nobody can really deny was the case. Plus, sadly this isn't even the first year that's happened either.

No one can deny it's what happened, because obviously we all saw it.

What you can deny is that their race actually came into it, and argue that the reason they didn't get through is because there were 6 girls who sang/performed/stood out better. That thing they're supposed to be focusing on as opposed to adding racial diversity the category for the sake of it.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it just so happened that the two black girls (can't even remember their names) were not good enough. Decent enough singers but no X Factor to speak of. Plus Keira is black.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

Last I checked, Rita is black too, so it would be more of a shade bias than an outright race one (a not uncommon conflict though that really exists--although I'm not saying if that's really the case here).
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Last I checked, Rita is black too, so it would be more of a shade bias than an outright race one (a not uncommon conflict though that really exists--although I'm not saying if that's really the case here).

No, she's not...

And no, I don't think race had anything to do with it. The two black girls should have never got a seat to begin with. They had no star quality.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I laughed as I watched it, because my first thought was that somebody on digitalspy right now will be hinting at racism lol
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it just so happened that the two black girls (can't even remember their names) were not good enough. Decent enough singers but no X Factor to speak of. Plus Keira is black.

I would agree. Karen I didn't like at all and thought Sharon was good but wasn't a stand out.
    As I said in my previous post, 3 or 4 seats were pretty much guaranteed so we had about 12 girls really competing for 2 seats.
    Kromm wrote: »

Rita isn't black, she's Kosovo/Albanian
  • Options
    David_Robinson1David_Robinson1 Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I won't attack you. This argument holds water - it's just that in the modern era, we're not supposed to say it. Even Simon commented on it in the American show the other year. It's often predictable that some black contestants will be voted out earlier than they deserve...
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Black contestants are generally represented disproportionately in the X factor relative to their population share. We have had three female winners - two thirds have been black women.

So to be honest no - No one asks why so few Asian or Chinese finalistsZ.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Black contestants are generally represented disproportionately in the X factor relative to their population share. We have had three female winners - two thirds have been black women.

So to be honest no - No one asks why so few Asian or Chinese finalistsZ.

Well, since most forms of popular music have their origins in Black music culture and not Asian or Chinese culture, it's not surprising at all. R&B, soul and gospel are hugely influential in pop culture. Just listen to the songs and the singing style the six girls employed.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is a suggestion that Rita is racist then it's way off the mark. I don't believe she has a racist bone in her body, so I don't think race has anything to do with her decision to swap the two black girls. It's probably because they did not have the whole package, even though they were good enough vocally for her to give them a seat in the first place.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Well, since most forms of popular music have their origins in Black music culture and not Asian or Chinese culture, it's not surprising at all. R&B, soul and gospel are hugely influential in pop culture. Just listen to the songs and the singing style the six girls employed.

This is all very true. There are a number of black females in the Overs section, and it would be nice to see at least a couple of them reach the last 24 if they perform well.