Options

Streaming Wars - News thread

Nick1984sNick1984s Posts: 2,259
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This past decade we've seen a boom in terms of the amount of streaming services available and competing for eyeballs, while there's more competition (along with investment in big budget shows) it has become somewhat confusing as to which ones you should sign up to.

What appears to be emerging, however, is a group referred to as the "big 6" who have recently stood high above the rest and have began to consolidate their position by taking over and absorbing content from smaller competitors.

Neflix (221.8m) - The original subscription streaming service, the one that started it all, they seem to be slowing down a lot of late, in developed markets they're starting to reach saturation and in developing markets their brand is on a level playing field with the new competitors. They're relying more on new originals as licensed content dries up, this is expensive and driving up prices isn't helping. It'll be interesting to see how much longer they can stay on top.

Disney (178.9m) - Their combined suite of services (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+) puts them at number 2, depending on which country you're in their offering will differ greatly, combining Disney & "STAR" content is working well for them in Europe and India, meanwhile content is split between Disney+ and Hulu in the US, will the rumoured merging of Hulu into Disney+ see them overtake Netflix, or is there too much of a subscriber overlap?

Amazon Prime Video (175m) - Unclear of how many of their subscribers actually watch their video content, as with Netflix they're well established by now, are losing licenced content and are having to invest heavily in originals.

HBO Max (73.8m) - The longest running TV subscription service, their jump to streaming was always going to be successful. They've experienced the fastest growth this year, especially due to the pandemic and Warner's entire 2021 movie slate being available day one. A combination of this summer's merger with Discovery (potentially resulting in Discovery+ content making it's way over to Max) and a global rollout completing in 2026 (including the UK) they are in a great spot to challenge for number one place.

Paramount+ (48m) - Another big name movie studio combined with a "+" suffix, they combine content from Paramount Studios, CBS, Nickelodeon and MTV, they're bound to attract older viewers with their long running franchises, but I doubt they're going to topple Netflix any day now.

Apple TV+ (20m) - The world's most valuable company, they seem to be going down the HBO route by slowly providing premium content, albeit a few decades behind. They've certainly got the money behind them, but passing up the opportunity to buy MGM (who eventually went to Amazon) means that their offering is still pretty threadbare. If they're going to emerge as number one, it's going to be a very long process.

For those who love data and trends, the below might offer clues as to what positions these services will end up in...

42F27E22-4DF5-46A3-956E-5D03A0A6FAFB-780x390@2x.jpeg

Q4-Streaming-services-marketshare-infographic-2021-3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More content leaving Netflix to go to Disney+

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jan/24/netflix-could-lose-750000-uk-subscribers-as-disney-takes-control-of-hit-shows
    Netflix is facing a fight to stop as many as 750,000 UK subscribers defecting as its rival Disney takes back exclusive control of hits such as Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and Sons of Anarchy to bolster its own service.

The streaming company, which last week forecast the lowest number of new global subscribers in the first quarter since 2010, has lost the UK rights to five popular titles to Disney+ this month, with more set to follow.

Analysts at the research firm Digital i estimate that the loss of the titles – which also include Prison Break and New Girl, with Homeland expected to follow soon – could cost Netflix UK as much as £90m annually if all of the 750,000 subscribers were to follow their favourite shows and leave.

Their report has identified this core of users as “high risk” of unsubscribing because a large proportion of their viewing was of these shows.

“The viewing to these six titles, five of which have already left Netflix, was significant in the UK,” said Ali Vahdati, the founder and chief executive of Digital i. “This means a significant number of subscribers will begin to question their Netflix subscription and look to the new home of their favourite content, Disney+.”

The UK is fast approaching peak Netflix, last year recording the lowest number of new subscribers since it launched a decade ago.
  • Options
    Methodyguy1Methodyguy1 Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Disney + is now the number one Streaming service and it is the one I use most often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disney+ launching in more countries this summer, currently Netflix is available in all countries barring China, North Korea and Syria.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/disney-plus-42-country-launch-europe-africa-west-asia-1235163724/
    The Walt Disney Company’s streamer Disney Plus has confirmed a summer 2022 launch across Europe, Africa and West Asia in 42 countries and 11 new territories. New countries for the service include South Africa, Turkey, Poland and the United Arab Emirates.

The countries that the streamer will launch in include Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, North Macedonia, Oman, Palestine Territories, Poland, Qatar, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Vatican City and Yemen.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 26/01/22 - 09:27 #5
    Netflix are starting to p*** me off with their aggressive blocking of vpns which is now starting to affect residential ip addresses too mine was blocked by them, i won't be renewing my sub (i bought a gift card for 6 months runs out next month).

Atm for me Disney+ is most watched especially with the Star stuff now too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Star is very good for Disney + they have some very good shows.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,333
    Forum Member
    edited 26/01/22 - 10:02 #7
    Interesting fact - In the US Lucifer was most streamed Original show last year - Netflix saved it after FOX cancelled it after 3 seasons.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin1 wrote: »
    Interesting fact - In the US Lucifer was most streamed Original show last year - Netflix saved it after FOX cancelled it after 3 seasons.

Imo the thing with likes of FOX, NBC etc they are too quick to pull the cancel trigger.
    CW are one i've not forgiven for cancelling The Secret circle on a huge cliffhanger.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Netflix, Disney+ and Prime and Disney+ is by far the one i use most
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26/01/22 - 22:35 #10
    Nick1984s wrote: »
    This past decade we've seen a boom in terms of the amount of streaming services available and competing for eyeballs, while there's more competition (along with investment in big budget shows) it has become somewhat confusing as to which ones you should sign up to.

What appears to be emerging, however, is a group referred to as the "big 6" who have recently stood high above the rest and have began to consolidate their position by taking over and absorbing content from smaller competitors.
    Some points,
    Disney in the US might grow by merging with Hulu.
    Amazon has ad supported IMDB
    ViacomCBS also has ad supported Pluto and My5
    Comcast NBC Universal has launched Peacock to keep up and has also reclaimed some of it's programme rights from Netflix. Has 54m users of it's
    Its as supported service, of which 29m pay. But has made a big startup loss. In the UK is free to Sky and Now subscribers.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/masonbissada/2021/10/28/who-is-winning-the-streaming-wars-peacock-shows-losses-in-q3/
    quote="gother;c-100360017"]
    Martin1 wrote: »

Imo the thing with likes of FOX, NBC etc they are too quick to pull the cancel trigger.
    CW are one i've not forgiven for cancelling The Secret circle on a huge cliffhanger.[/quote]
    If a streaming service can build a large income with a large number of subscribers they are more likely to finance extra seasons, which on a linear station might be cancelled if viewers drop.

• Options
    ClarksonCourtClarksonCourt Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    BBC article on this very subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60125013
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of good stuff on Disney+ but I hate the way they drop many brand new shows weekly. I know why they do it but it's a backward step for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27/01/22 - 08:54 #13

"Ms Holme adds that some people are "feeling confused and annoyed" that they have to go to multiple streaming services to get all the content that they want.

For the US, figures show that 46% of homes with broadband subscribe to four or more video streaming services. While in the UK, one study found 65% of homes subscribe to two or more of the providers."
    Also in the US a lot subscribe to cable linear stations, which may explain why the UK has taken to Netflix, plus either Amazon Prime or Disney+.
    The streaming services have one month contracts. Interesting Sky Q and Talktalk have 18 month Netflix bundles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

"Ms Holme adds that some people are "feeling confused and annoyed" that they have to go to multiple streaming services to get all the content that they want.

For the US, figures show that 46% of homes with broadband subscribe to four or more video streaming services. While in the UK, one study found 65% of homes subscribe to two or more of the providers."
    Also in the US a lot subscribe to cable linear stations, which may explain why the UK has taken to Netflix, plus either Amazon Prime or Disney+.

Seems about right, I believe in the USA during its peak two thirds of households had cable subscriptions, so households ditching cable have opted to have 4 or 5 streaming services instead.

I've subscribed to Netflix, Prime and Disney+ since their respective launches and I get a NOW entertainment pass every now and again. I'll likely add HBO Max to this list once it launces in the UK in 2026.

Haven't bought a TV licence for my current property, may get one so I can legitimately watch the World Cup this winter at home, but once that year is up I'll cancel again.
  • Options
    ClarksonCourtClarksonCourt Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    edited 27/01/22 - 10:05 #15
    Nick1984s wrote: »

Seems about right, I believe in the USA during its peak two thirds of households had cable subscriptions, so households ditching cable have opted to have 4 or 5 streaming services instead.

I've subscribed to Netflix, Prime and Disney+ since their respective launches and I get a NOW entertainment pass every now and again. I'll likely add HBO Max to this list once it launces in the UK in 2026.

Haven't bought a TV licence for my current property, may get one so I can legitimately watch the World Cup this winter at home, but once that year is up I'll cancel again.

I’ve set up a spreadsheet with all my subs inc TV, music etc & I’m stopping all the annual ones as they fall due. Plan is to get down to just Amazon Prime & Eurosport as permanent, then roll through all the rest on a month-to-month basis depending on watching a block of shows at a time. I guess eventually even dropping Virgin TV & just broadband only.

Other advantage to this of course is getting access to one-off deals which Now TV etc have running permanently.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I alternate between Netflix and D+, suspending one sub while I catch up with content on another. Not interested in Prime, Britbox or Apple+. I would be interested in HBO Max if and when it launches in the UK though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I subscribe to Disney + Apple TV , Netflix , Prime I also would be very interested in HBO Max as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27/01/22 - 13:38 #18
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I I would be interested in HBO Max if and when it launches in the UK though.
    It is currently part of Now Entertainment (and Sky Q) along with Peacock and other services.
    Expensive with the HD "boost" unless you get one of the short term offers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27/01/22 - 13:45 #19
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I I would be interested in HBO Max if and when it launches in the UK though.
    It is currently part of Now Entertainment (and Sky Q) along with Peacock and other services.
    Expensive with the HD "boost" unless you get one of the short term offers?

Not quite

HBO originals release on NOW and will do until December 2025

However all the other stuff on HBO Max such as Warner movies, DC, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Studio Ghibli, TCM, Looney Tunes, Sesame Workshop etc isn't on NOW.

8f4r2ocy3pxx.png
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    In an interesting move Apple have put up the premiere episode of their new ATV+ show The After Party on YouTube.
    Wonder if they’ll be doing that with other new series and will that entice people to sign up the ATV+.
    https://youtu.be/P07_FHcRNEU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30/01/22 - 12:34 #21
    In Germany and Austria Amazon Prime is beating Netflix, apparently as it has more German language and sport shows.
    https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2022/01/30/amazon-prime-video-overtakes-netflix-in-germany/
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have NOW, Amazon Prime, Disney +, Apple TV and Netflix. But Netflix is still my main one I use a lot, there just doesn't seem a lot on the other streaming services for me.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Disney + is now the number one Streaming service and it is the one I use most often.
    I guess that depends on the house we had Disney + and never watched it.

For our house Netflix offers a better variety and far more originals.
  • Options
    liverleeliverlee Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had Netflix, Disney +, Amazon Prime and Apple TV.

We ditched apple and amazon. We only got apple tv because my daughters new phone came with 12 months free sub, we never watched it as between now tv, our smart tv and virgin media there was no app to watch it and amazon, anytime we went to watch a movie we had to pay extra for it so got rid once the football was finished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disney stock jumps 8% as company adds 12 million new streaming service subscribers and smashes expectations after Netflix's dismal growth report

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10495523/Disney-stock-jumps-8-company-adds-12-million-new-streaming-service-subscribers.html
    Walt Disney Company stock is rising after the company issued a positive earnings report and announced more new Disney+ subscribers than Wall Street expected.

Shares of Disney were up nearly 8 percent in after-hours trading on Wednesday, after the company said that it added 11.8 million streaming subscribers in the quarter ended January 1, versus the 8.5 million expected.

Disney said that it now has 129.8 million Disney+ subscribers, smashing expectations and surprising analysts after Netflix issued a dismal report on subscriber growth last month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That’s great news about Disney+ hopefully their subscription price will remain the same.