Options

Premier League 2023/24 Discussion Thread

COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
Forum Member
✭✭
With the season only around 9 weeks away what rule changes would you like to see brought in for the new season ?

Comments

• Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be nice if they sorted out the loans system and banned loans between clubs in the same division, and loans of young players to lower division sides have all costs met by the owning club, as that might put-off clubs from stock piling players just to sell for profit and making it harder for lower division clubs to sign local talent or poaching youngsters from the clubs, maybe even put a maximum limit of the number of players a club is allowed to loan out.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get rid of VAR.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only change I want to see is more accountability for the countless amount of fuckups we're seeing more and more of from the officials, both on the pitch and in the VAR room. A post-match press conference where the ref gets quizzed on every decision he made would be a great start.
  • Options
    Reverend JonesReverend Jones Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe to be a bit different some clarity over added time. All too often the same stoppages happen in games and the added time seems to vary wildly from one game to the next and often even in different halves of the same game.

I don't mind if they have to add 3, 10 or 100 minutes on as long as it's apparent as to why.
  • Options
    Captain DobeyCaptain Dobey Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    The cancer of time wasting sorted out although fat chance of that happening.
  • Options
    DamnedunitedarebackDamnedunitedareback Posts: 15,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Get rid of VAR.
    thankfully it's Not in championship
    Well not yet anyway
  • Options
    NextGirlNextGirl Posts: 25,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Get rid of VAR.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    DemdikeDemdike Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    As people have said, both time wasting and the issues with VAR need looking at prior to the new season. Oh and handball. That really needs to be clearer.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,085
    Forum Member
    Demdike wrote: »
    As people have said, both time wasting and the issues with VAR need looking at prior to the new season. Oh and handball. That really needs to be clearer.

Handball being handball might make it easier rather than people having to make their own minds up so obviously there is so many subjectivity.
    Dandem wrote: »
    The only change I want to see is more accountability for the countless amount of fuckups we're seeing more and more of from the officials, both on the pitch and in the VAR room. A post-match press conference where the ref gets quizzed on every decision he made would be a great start.

People say they have too much attention as it is though.

Maybe might help understand sums decisions like having live audio of the VAR discussion but isn’t going to change anything so managers /fans etc still aren’t going to be happy even if reasons are given .

• Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see a straight red for dives in the penalty area.
  • Options
    LuckyLokiLuckyLoki Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Owen gets banned. No more threads. No posts. Just Nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are saying you want handball looking at, in what way? Whatever solution tends to be offered gives rise to another problem because you have on one front the issue that intent is only really the preserve of whose hand the ball hits, so you can't have that, and if you say handball is handball the very clever players will just aim for the hand.

I get the feeling the inconsistency of that one is here for good to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you are saying you want handball looking at, in what way? Whatever solution tends to be offered gives rise to another problem because you have on one front the issue that intent is only really the preserve of whose hand the ball hits, so you can't have that, and if you say handball is handball the very clever players will just aim for the hand.

There are differences to the rules when it happens for the attacking team and the defending team. If the player that scores the goal hands the ball intentional or not a goal is chalked off but if it's the player who sets up the goal then it's not necessarily the same outcome. That's just one example of the handball rule that needs looking at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are differences to the rules when it happens for the attacking team and the defending team. If the player that scores the goal hands the ball intentional or not a goal is chalked off but if it's the player who sets up the goal then it's not necessarily the same outcome. That's just one example of the handball rule that needs looking at.

My point is, how would you change the rule to make it fair? Are you saying that the player setting the goal up would be penalised too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/06/23 - 10:57 #16

My point is, how would you change the rule to make it fair? Are you saying that the player setting the goal up would be penalised too?

By rights yes. Or you don't penalise the scorer unless the hand is away from the body in an unnatural position as per defenders and the way they are penalised. It's one rule for one and one for another which is crazy.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,967
    Forum Member

By rights yes. Or you don't penalise the scorer unless the hand is away from the body in an unnatural position as per defenders and the way they are penalised. It's one rule for one and one for another which is crazy.

I agree with this. I understand why the rule was brought in but everywhere on the pitch handball is only an offence if there is intent, until it's a goalscorer in which case intent isn't needed. It's a weird rule.
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LuckyLoki wrote: »
    Could make that case for a few of the troll posters on here (generally speaking, not this exact thread currently)...
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one should be calling for other posters to be banned.
  • Options
    DamnedunitedarebackDamnedunitedareback Posts: 15,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LuckyLoki wrote: »
    unlike you he regular poster on here , I don't often agree with him.but he has right to post just like anybody else .
  • Options
    klmhklmh Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Footballers need to stop the way they treat referees if they do not like the decisions. Pet hate is when footballers surround the referee, hoping that they can ‘persuade’ him to change his mind

If consistent punishments were given out, ie, yellow cards they would soon stop it.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,085
    Forum Member
    klmh wrote: »
    Footballers need to stop the way they treat referees if they do not like the decisions. Pet hate is when footballers surround the referee, hoping that they can ‘persuade’ him to change his mind

If consistent punishments were given out, ie, yellow cards they would soon stop it.

They ought to be but never are for some reason so the players get away with it .
  • Options
    DustyWindowsDustyWindows Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when (usually) defenders pick the ball up when they're conceded a free kick in order to delay the re-start

This should be stopped
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no issue with VAR but it needs to be stop being applied differently in England to everywhere else.

You saw that yesterday compared to the European finals during the week.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burnley are back for pre season already, on June 5th?!?

wyj19pgw6ikx.png
    https://twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/status/1665760728035237888

That's a bit mental isn't it?
  • Options
    NextGirlNextGirl Posts: 25,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, that is well early.