Options

Unpopular Eurovision Opinions

The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you have any Eurovision opinions that seem to go against the grain, against what it seems most people think?

I'll start. I thought We Are One by Wild Youth was actually a better song than it got credit for. It was the deer in headlights performance that cost it. The song itself was decent enough.

Is there anything from Eurovision's long past that doesn't chime with the majority you'd like to share? :)

Comments

• Options
    AtlasStonesAtlasStones Posts: 16,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 22/08/23 - 12:27 #2
    Nice idea for a thread TUO.

Daði Freyr's Think About Things was a gimmicky load of old guff :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SuikodenSuikoden Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Italy's entries are overrated by both fans and result pretty much every year.

In fact the only entry of theirs I have liked since their return is 2016 and that was the one that flopped.
  • Options
    FlakeWhipFlakeWhip Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Unicorn' is a laughably poor song. To this day I'm baffled by its success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlakeWhip wrote: »

Giving over the entire last part to a dance break in a song that was only allowed to be three minutes anyway was something I really didn't understand at all.
  • Options
    snowdonsnowdon Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Russia would have won 2020
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eventhough I like Loreen. I didn't think much of her live performance of Tattoo in the final.
  • Options
    Samuel_Samuel_ Posts: 7,819
    Forum Member
    Voila was a very boring song and Fulenn should have finished higher than Voila did. Évidemment deserved a higher placing than Voila too.
  • Options
    MaxxieDMaxxieD Posts: 4,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Israel should be banned as their participation is hypocritical in comparison with the EBU’s stance on Russia.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 14/10/23 - 14:47 #10
    apart from the last couple of years or so, Terry Wogan was a great commentator and a key reason why the contest stayed popular in the UK while it declined in places like France and Italy
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,636
    Forum Member
    edited 15/10/23 - 17:24 #11
    FlakeWhip wrote: »

Giving over the entire last part to a dance break in a song that was only allowed to be three minutes anyway was something I really didn't understand at all.

Chanel broke the mould with SloMo.

It wouldn't surprise me if we have more songs in the coming years where a "dance break" is included.

Song contest, eh? 😁
  • Options
    jackstonejackstone Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it’s an unpopular opinion but
    The Flag parade should be stopped.
    It’s dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackstone wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s an unpopular opinion but
    The Flag parade should be stopped.
    It’s dull.

It doesn't bother me as such, but I don't really see what it achieves either. I imagine it adds to already complex logistics too, getting all the performers backstage in the correct order.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenage Life wasn't as bad as most people seem to think.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

I'll get my coat.

It was never going to win in a month of Sundays, but I think it was catchy enough that it deserved better than 19th place.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Time was a boring song that didn't deserve 5th place.
  • Options
    PaddyPodPedPaddyPodPed Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    The majority of people watching (including plenty of prominent YouTube content creators) do not understand the scoring system.

Ie a song everyone agrees is the 11th best will finish last, while a song that most think is awful but a few think is good will not
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxxieD wrote: »
    Israel should be banned as their participation is hypocritical in comparison with the EBU’s stance on Russia.

I guess my controversial opinion is that Israel shouldn't be banned :P

Russia - Shine = underrated. Wonderful song!
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    AxG wrote: »
    My Time was a boring song that didn't deserve 5th place.

Seconded.

I’m trying to think of my genuinely unpopular opinions. Off the top of my head:

I liked France 2014 and I still listen to it.

Austria 2018 is one of my all-time favourite entries.

Cha Cha Cha was crap live, especially in the jury performance, and that’s why it couldn’t beat Tattoo (not because there is a Swedish jury bias).

I like Rock and Roll Kids.

Ireland’s recent songs are rarely as bad as their results (and the fandom) would have you believe, however, their ability to find competent & charismatic live performers, properly stage their entries and just generally sell them for a televised competition is practically non-existent.

Junior Eurovision feels irresponsible in the context of such an increasingly nasty and rabid Eurovision fandom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20/11/23 - 20:48 #20
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Cha Cha Cha was crap live, especially in the jury performance, and that’s why it couldn’t beat Tattoo (not because there is a Swedish jury bias).

I enjoy the spectacle of Kaarija's performance of Cha Cha Cha much more than that of Loreen and Tattoo. However I do think that Kaarija's performance was so energetic that it started to get in the way of the strength of his vocals. By the end, he looked visibly exhausted. I still think it should've won though.

Another unpopular opinion - Lipstick by Jedward was actually a decent pop song.
  • Options
    JamesRoberts1910JamesRoberts1910 Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ukraine should never have been allowed to enter in 2022 as it was evident that whoever represented them would have won due to public sympathy regarding the Russian invasion, it was unfair on the other countries that sent better entries than Ukraine did.

Sam Ryder and Chanel both had far better songs and would have made much better and well deserved winners.

Also Cha Cha Cha is absolutely dog shit and well and truly overrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as the BBC heard Freaks by Jordan Clarke they should've scrapped Eurovision: You Decide in 2019, and just sent that. It was perfect for Eurovision, but instead we ended up with Bigger Than Us and another last place.

Freaks - https://youtu.be/iMmPwn1qYn0?si=Y_ps5gO9IufbNWgU
  • Options
    PaddyPodPedPaddyPodPed Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    As soon as the BBC heard Freaks by Jordan Clarke they should've scrapped Eurovision: You Decide in 2019, and just sent that. It was perfect for Eurovision, but instead we ended up with Bigger Than Us and another last place.

Freaks - https://youtu.be/iMmPwn1qYn0?si=Y_ps5gO9IufbNWgU

I can never agree with this! Yes Freaks was better than Michael Rice, but Holly Tandy’s Bigger Than Us was better than both by far! (In my opinion :) )
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok mine - I think Slo Mo is a formulaic song with tacky lyrics that is saved by a great performance. Sometimes people will like anything if they can dance it to it or an attractive woman wearing not much dances and sells it well. It may be rhymically interesting but it's melody is tedious and monotonous.

I like Stefania as a song, did from hearing it at Vit Bitr complication. However much sympathy voting signal boasted it and it did - I still think it's a worthy winner and I really like Sam Ryder.

Euphoria and Tattoo are both overated as are Sweden in general except Heroes which is overhated.

I have a lot of unpopular opinions but the most patriot one is Andy Abraham didn't deserve to come last in 2008 as Germany were schitze. At least he could sing.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

I'll get my coat.

I thought it was only one who truly hates that song I'm just loud.
  • Options
    Really_GreenReally_Green Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    To this day, I still have no idea why Running Scared won. In a year of great catchy pop songs, how this dull song stood out will remain a mystery.