✭✭
edited 16/12/23 - 21:10 in Eurovision Song Contest #1
Olly Alexander is representing Eurovision in 2024

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is good thing he knows how to perform and already has hits in some of the Eurovision countries. I think this means bbc are still taking Eurovision seriously.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. We’re trying the blue thing again. Let’s see what the song is, but not sure I’m impressed yet.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a great choice.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 16/12/23 - 21:09 #5
    👍

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    occy wrote: »

Thanks for letting us all know you're a homophobe.

Let’s see what the song sounds like
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 16/12/23 - 21:19 #9
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    BBC got to conform with certain things equal diversity..

Thanks for letting us all know you're a homophobe.

Nope equal opportunity. Wish him well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

You're surprised they're sending a gay artist to Eurovision?

Equal opportunity. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

You're surprised they're sending a gay artist to Eurovision?

Equal opportunity. Absolutely brilliant.
    What does that have to do with the BBC having to conform?
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great choice
  • Options
    LemonJelly16LemonJelly16 Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 16/12/23 - 22:11 #13
    DamienS wrote: »
    Oh dear. We’re trying the blue thing again. Let’s see what the song is, but not sure I’m impressed yet.

Olly is still relevant, radio 1 still play his music, and most young people will know his face and his music. Blue were relevant a decade before they did Eurovision. It was rumoured Olly wanted to do it in 2022 but TaP Music chose Sam.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I hope the BBC have some very strong backing singers because Olly is not the strongest live singer.
  • Options
    Samantha_IsaacsSamantha_Isaacs Posts: 195,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to us
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he knows what he's doing. Heaven forbid for his sake he doesn't do well. Sincerely hope he smashes it.
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,296
    Forum Member
    edited 16/12/23 - 22:40 #17
    OMG what an inspired choice. I can hardly wait to watch him perform on stage.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I cheered when he announced it. Fantastic news — great, established artist who is a true fan of the contest.
  • Options
    Alan_ColeAlan_Cole Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I cheered when he announced it. Fantastic news — great, established artist who is a true fan of the contest.

I totally agree. I was actually hoping that the rumours were true. An established artist being announced on a top peak time entertainment programme is even better. A true fan of Eurovision as you said. How things have changed since Sam Ryder. I am a fan of Years and Years so for me personally, its brilliant news. If the song is half as good as 'King', I will be over the moon.
    A little bit of info in this tweet - The song he will perform in Malmo next May is still under wraps - but it was co-written by Alexander and Danny L Harle, who has produced hits for Dua Lipa, Chic and Charli XCX. "It's gonna be electronic, something you can dance to" Alexander told BBC News. "But I can't say much more than that".

https://twitter.com/jmcloughlin/status/1736148224484782110
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if he only does equally as well as Blue, that’s still left hand side of the board
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Blue were relevant a decade before they did Eurovision. It was rumoured Olly wanted to do it in 2022 but TaP Music chose Sam.

First of all, Blue did pretty well in 2011, 11th and (as Sam was) 5th in the televote
    Second, Katrina and The Waves had their biggest hit in 1985, 12 years before their Eurovision victory

Good luck to Olly, but your assertion of relevance is irrelevant!
  • Options
    TedthefriendlyZTedthefriendlyZ Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am overjoyed Olly has been chosen!

What a wonderful choice. He's a talented, experienced performer and song writer, whose been nominated (and won) many awards, he's a current chart-topper with an established fanbase throughout Europe, he's played massive arenas and events, he's very charismatic and enthusiastic, he writes great pop-dance songs; and fits the Eurovision vibe perfectly. He's also starred in a multi-award winning BBC drama, which'll help his profile. Honestly, we've been wanting them to send a great current artist for decades and they've finally done it. Very much looking forward to this. :)
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    edited 17/12/23 - 00:29 #23
    I'm quite optimistic about Olly Alexander representing the UK.

I have seen live performances in recent years that seemed disappointing but Olly has so much charisma and the truth is he can sing.

I just hope if Olly's song is a banger, he does no choreography so that he can fully focus on nailing the vocals.

Right now, I honestly don't see the UK finishing anywhere near the bottom 5.
  • Options
    TedthefriendlyZTedthefriendlyZ Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 17/12/23 - 00:35 #24
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Blue were relevant a decade before they did Eurovision. It was rumoured Olly wanted to do it in 2022 but TaP Music chose Sam.

First of all, Blue did pretty well in 2011, 11th and (as Sam was) 5th in the televote
    Second, Katrina and The Waves had their biggest hit in 1985, 12 years before their Eurovision victory

Good luck to Olly, but your assertion of relevance is irrelevant!

I respectfully disagree. Blue's did 'ok', but the fact that they hadn't had a chart topper for many years and weren't big in Europe at the time was a major factor in them not getting into the Top 10 - these days most other countries put forward really current chart acts, or song contests winners, that already have a huge fan base. It's not always the case, but having a current popular artist really does help. As much as I liked Blue back in the day, they were long past their hay day and their historic popularity in the UK obviously was not going to be enough. Also, for me the song just wasn't strong enough. From what I've heard from Years and Years, their music seems a much better fit for Eurovision.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only concern is that his live singing voice can be sometimes quite suspect. Its what I'm sure cost Mae some points. He can however put on a show.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nooo Damien, nothing like Blue. They were well past their sell by date last year, he is still more then relevant.

Do not be a Debbie downer all season like last year (all though you were right) you used to be a positive poster ;)