Forum Member
✭✭
New thread for a new season!

Comments

• Options
    EndemoniadaEndemoniada Posts: 8,760
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 07:33 #2
    Broady qualifies in Hong Kong with a 2 & 3 victory over Burruchaga. 😎 Choinski didn't make it, unfortunately.

Ruud won both the singles vs Coric and the mixed with Eikeri vs Dodig and Vekic to grab the win in Sydney.

CRO 1 vs 2 NOR

HH lost to ADF, but 1ga beat SST and then, partnered by HH, 🥯🥯ed ADF and SST to take the tie in Perth.

POL 2 vs 1 ESP

With that, Poland wins Group A.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the comeback trail Anisimova has the first set against Pavs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liam plays Cachin then, should he win, top seed Rublev.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 09:36 #5
    Murray takes the opener vs #2 seed Dimitrov in Brisbane.
  • Options
    Flower63Flower63 Posts: 1,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year.

Currently watching Murray/Dimitrov - should be a R4 or QF match, not 1st round. Really high quality.

Anyway the commentators said the Nadal/Thiem match tmrw is the first pm match so around 08.30 UK time.

Emma’s match however is 4th match in NZ so middle of the night for the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 11:15 #7
    Garcia recovers from a 🥖 in set 1 to defeat Kerber and equalise for France.

FRA 1 vs 1 GER

AUS is 1 up on the USA which is potentially relevant to GBR, but I haven't tried to do the maths yet. One of the group runners-up will qualify for the QFs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 11:19 #8
    Good comeback win for Grigor. Andy losing serve 4 times in a row from 4-4 in the 2nd did the damage.
  • Options
    MagpieMaisieMagpieMaisie Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good comeback win for Grigor. Andy losing serve 4 times in a row from 4-4 in the 2nd did the damage.

Yet again what looks like a promising scoreline on the BBC live scores page goes dramatically south as soon as I start watching live 🤦‍♀️
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet again what looks like a promising scoreline on the BBC live scores page goes dramatically south as soon as I start watching live 🤦‍♀️
    Yep it’s the hope that kills with Andy. Really should have won that in 2. He was playing really well.
  • Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful news for Petra Kvitova

She has announced that she is expecting her first child

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67856302

I’m guessing that will lead to her retirement now from tennis as she’s been on the decline for a few years
  • Options
    Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flower63 wrote: »
    Happy New Year.

Currently watching Murray/Dimitrov - should be a R4 or QF match, not 1st round. Really high quality.

Anyway the commentators said the Nadal/Thiem match tmrw is the first pm match so around 08.30 UK time.

Sky only appear to be televising the Brisbane tournament this week, so no Raducanu on UK live TV for her comeback match against her tour friend Ruse who she played that London exhibition a couple of years ago. Probably just as well, 4am predicted start is only for the night owls. The result isn't as important as getting through it unscathed ready for AO qualies.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I’m guessing that will lead to her retirement now from tennis as she’s been on the decline for a few years

You never know at the moment. So many coming back after having a baby with varying degrees of success. I have even seen photos of Serena working out but I hope it's not for a comeback.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year.

Sky only appear to be televising the Brisbane tournament this week, so no Raducanu on UK live TV for her comeback match against her tour friend Ruse who she played that London exhibition a couple of years ago. Probably just as well, 4am predicted start is only for the night owls. The result isn't as important as getting through it unscathed ready for AO qualies.

I miss Prime already.
  • Options
    Cheekyjon2Cheekyjon2 Posts: 6,281
    Forum Member
    Some odd scheduling for the United Cup - some groups/teams complete their matches today (or yesterday for GB ).
    One of the favourites, Greece, are yet to play. I'm guessing that as they're in Sydney they won't need to travel if they reach the later stages.

The organisers/sponsors must be happy though as the majority of ties have gone to a deciding mixed doubles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 12:29 #16
    Happy New Year.

Tennis on Telly is reporting that Raducanu's match(es) will be shown. Credit to @Flower63 for posting that yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's posted about missing the Australia swing as she focuses on her new chapter, so already on hiatus from tennis.

Apparently her withdrawal from the AO means Raducanu is now only one place outside the main draw, though I think she'd do better going through qualies to get match fitness and easier initial opponents while expectations are low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Happy New Year.

I miss Prime already.

Hope Sky aren't going to only televise the tournaments where both WTA and ATP play, such as Brisbane, otherwise it'll be slim pickings seeing as Discovery+ have the AO and FO slams, so next joint tournament they'll televise may not be until Indian Wells.

• Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 12:41 #19
    Happy New Year.

I miss Prime already.

Hope Sky aren't going to only televise the tournaments where both WTA and ATP play, such as Brisbane, otherwise it'll be slim pickings seeing as Discovery+ have the AO and FO slams, so next joint tournament they'll televise may not be until Indian Wells.

Sky will concentrate on Adelaide next week which is a combined WTA500 / ATP250. After the AO, they're showing Linz WTA500.

7h3b38m9gbpq.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheekyjon2 wrote: »
    Some odd scheduling for the United Cup - some groups/teams complete their matches today (or yesterday for GB ).
    One of the favourites, Greece, are yet to play. I'm guessing that as they're in Sydney they won't need to travel if they reach the later stages.

The organisers/sponsors must be happy though as the majority of ties have gone to a deciding mixed doubles.

Also, almost every team is fielding at least one of their singles players in the mixed, often both. Which makes me wonder whether they could make do with teams of 5 or even 4.
  • Options
    Ford-FulkersonFord-Fulkerson Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You never know at the moment. So many coming back after having a baby with varying degrees of success. I have even seen photos of Serena working out but I hope it's not for a comeback.

Had to laugh at the Mail headline:

"Naomi Osaka FINALLY returns to competitive tennis five months after giving birth to her daughter"

with FINALLY in capitals as if taking five months to come back from giving birth was outrageous! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in @Irishguy123 's competition it looks like Swiatek and Alcaraz are the top picks.

Curiously no-one picked Swiatek for Wimbledon or USO and no-one picked Djokovic for the Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 01/01/24 - 13:42 #23
    AUS-USA are 1-1.

So we need AUS to win the mixed doubles and then everyone in our group has a 2-1 record.

God knows where we stand on whatever the tiebreaking rules are for that case though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year.

I miss Prime already.

Sky will concentrate on Adelaide next week which is a combined WTA500 / ATP250. After the AO, they're showing Linz WTA500.

7h3b38m9gbpq.png

I also read, but don’t quote me, that Sky’s dedicated tennis channel will only be ready in March. I think they are showing only some WTA/ATP matches for now on their main channel to fill the void.
    Plus Discovery+ have the AO.

Let’s see what happens. Like @smude I am missing Prime and it’s only 1 Jan! I would have loved to watch the Osaka match on catchup but no. The only highlight available is her post match court interview!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 13:21 #25
    AUS -USA are 1-1.

So we need AUS to win the mixed doubles and then everyone in our group has a 2-1 record.

God knows where we stand on whatever the tiebreaking rules are for that case though!

If AUS wins the mixed, they would all be equal on ties (1-1) and matches (3-3). Then it would come down to sets win % and possibly games win %. I haven't worked it out but my hunch is if AUS wins the mixed in straights at least one of AUS or USA will have a better sets win % than GBR and if it's one set each USA will top the group. Not sure if an MTB counts as a set for these purposes. 😒
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/01/24 - 13:38 #26
    Happy New Year.

I miss Prime already.

7h3b38m9gbpq.png

I also read, but don’t quote me, that Sky’s dedicated tennis channel will only be ready in March. I think they are showing only some WTA/ATP matches for now on their main channel to fill the void.
    Plus Discovery+ have the AO.

Let’s see what happens. Like @smude I am missing Prime and it’s only 1 Jan! I would have loved to watch the Osaka match on catchup but no. The only highlight available is her post match court interview!

It's a bit swings and roundabouts for me. Almost certainly I'll be watching significantly less tennis for the foreseeable, but now I have access to NFL, F1, golf, cricket...etc that I've missed out on for years.