Options

Athletics 2024

ordinarylifeordinarylife Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since we're now in 2024, we may as well have a new thread to mark the Olympic year.

Key dates:

17-18 February - British indoor championships
1-3 March - World Indoor Championships
20 April - Xiamen (first Diamond League)
21 April - London Marathon
4-5 May - World Relays
7-12 June - European Championships
8-9 July British Championships
20 July - London Diamond League
1-11 August - athletics Olympic program
13-14th September - Diamond League final in Brussels

This is not intended as a conclusive list, so feel free to add more dates below.

Comments

• Options
    Samantha_IsaacsSamantha_Isaacs Posts: 195,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy new year all
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an exciting year lies ahead! Will be going to my first ever Olympics in Paris in August, and hope to go to the European Championships in Rome too if money allows.

Hoping to see continued improvements for Irish athletes this year, and that Mageean and Adeleke make the Olympic final. Thinking Adeleke is our best shot at a medal, but it's a tough event.

Looking forward to seeing what Sifan Hassan has in store for us this year. My guess at this stage is it'll be the 5k/10k/marathon triple, but she'll likely keep us guessing until the last minute.

I'm also very excited about the distinct possibility of a first ever sub 14 women's 5k, hopefully one of Kipyegon, Tsegay or even Chebet go for it at some stage. I'm also wondering if someone will make a sub 29 10k attempt at some stage this year, Tsegay or Gidey might be the best bet for that.

On a personal note, I hope I have a successful year running myself. I've been sidelined for the past 5 weeks with suspected tendonitis, so hopefully I'll be back on my feet soon 🥲

Here's to another exciting year of following this amazing sport!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an exciting year lies ahead! Will be going to my first ever Olympics in Paris in August, and hope to go to the European Championships in Rome too if money allows.

Hoping to see continued improvements for Irish athletes this year, and that Mageean and Adeleke make the Olympic final. Thinking Adeleke is our best shot at a medal, but it's a tough event.

Looking forward to seeing what Sifan Hassan has in store for us this year. My guess at this stage is it'll be the 5k/10k/marathon triple, but she'll likely keep us guessing until the last minute.

I'm also very excited about the distinct possibility of a first ever sub 14 women's 5k, hopefully one of Kipyegon, Tsegay or even Chebet go for it at some stage. I'm also wondering if someone will make a sub 29 10k attempt at some stage this year, Tsegay or Gidey might be the best bet for that.

On a personal note, I hope I have a successful year running myself. I've been sidelined for the past 5 weeks with suspected tendonitis, so hopefully I'll be back on my feet soon 🥲

Here's to another exciting year of following this amazing sport!

I hope you feel better soon, and I agree that we could be in for an exciting year in the women's distance events in particular. I wonder if Kipyegon will further lower the 1500m record as well.

I think barring injury, both Mageean and Adeleke stand excellent chances of making their respective Olympic finals, but they are both in very competitive events. They could both be European champions, should they choose to compete in Rome, though their European rivals may have something to say about that.

From a British perspective, I would love to see KJT win an Olympic medal at last, though it will be a big ask with the likes of Thiam, Vetter and Hall presumably back to full fitness, and her own need to hold her body together.

I hope Kerr and Wightman win Olympic medals, but I doubt there will be three consecutive global British golds in that event with Ingebritsen around.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Olympic Year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since we're now in 2024, we may as well have a new thread to mark the Olympic year.

Key dates:

4-5 May - World Relays

This is not intended as a conclusive list, so feel free to add more dates below.

Those dates aren't correct, it's a Monday & Tuesday for starters. There isn't confirmed dates and venue on the British Athletics website - venue wise they might prefer Birmingham but I expect the financial woes of British Athletics and Birmingham Council make it a non starter so will probably be Manchester again. On the selection document for the Olympics it does state 28th-30th June for the trials. That coincides with 1 of the World Athletics designated windows for national champs and the cut off date for Olympic Qualifying is 30th June so those dates make more sense.

Other notable events I would add as follows:-

30th March - World Cross Country Championships, Belgrade
    18th May - Night of 10K PBs, Highgate
    21st-30th June - US Olympic trials, Eugene (let the carnage commence)
    27th-31st August - World Junior Championships, Lima
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »

Key dates:

4-5 May - World Relays

Those dates aren't correct, it's a Monday & Tuesday for starters. There isn't confirmed dates and venue on the British Athletics website - venue wise they might prefer Birmingham but I expect the financial woes of British Athletics and Birmingham Council make it a non starter so will probably be Manchester again. On the selection document for the Olympics it does state 28th-30th June for the trials. That coincides with 1 of the World Athletics designated windows for national champs and the cut off date for Olympic Qualifying is 30th June so those dates make more sense.

Other notable events I would add as follows:-

30th March - World Cross Country Championships, Belgrade
    18th May - Night of 10K PBs, Highgate
    21st-30th June - US Olympic trials, Eugene (let the carnage commence)
    27th-31st August - World Junior Championships, Lima

Sorry, don't know where I found the dates!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst we're waiting for the Indoor season to start in earnest (hell will freeze over before I call it short track); an interesting conversation with Seb Coe on The Rest Is Politics podcast. Covers everything really from his track career; political career; London 2012 and World Athletics.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3bVvIyZjN4Yxb4RPTkKMms

Also if you like game shows; Adam Gemili is on Richard Osman's House of Games this week. No spoilers here but let's just say there have been a couple of other athletes on recently who let's put it politely have not been overly blessed with regards to general knowledge. Adam so far is at least helping to restore some credibility to the athletics fraternity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura Muir has received a retrospective European Indoor bronze from 2015 Yelena Korobkina was disqualified for doping offences. Sviatlana Kudzelich and Maureen Koster are upgraded by gold and silver respectively.

It's good that Laura has been upgraded, but it's a shame she didn't get her moment at the time.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,957
    Forum Member
    edited 05/01/24 - 10:54 #10
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Whilst we're waiting for the Indoor season to start in earnest (hell will freeze over before I call it short track); an interesting conversation with Seb Coe on The Rest Is Politics podcast. Covers everything really from his track career; political career; London 2012 and World Athletics.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3bVvIyZjN4Yxb4RPTkKMms

Also if you like game shows; Adam Gemili is on Richard Osman's House of Games this week. No spoilers here but let's just say there have been a couple of other athletes on recently who let's put it politely have not been overly blessed with regards to general knowledge. Adam so far is at least helping to restore some credibility to the athletics fraternity.

Seb Coe has also been on with Simon Jordan this week.
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/1H3rlmh9Ao2vBLEJWpv59P?si=JVMrLt4qSYaKebv7DAIbIw
  • Options
    panhandlepanhandle Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Laura Muir has received a retrospective European Indoor bronze from 2015 Yelena Korobkina was disqualified for doping offences. Sviatlana Kudzelich and Maureen Koster are upgraded by gold and silver respectively.

It's good that Laura has been upgraded, but it's a shame she didn't get her moment at the time.

Can anyone clarify? The BBC article says '....Korobkina, 33, has been banned for four years from September 2023 and her results from July 2013 to July 2016 will be expunged'. Why have her results only been expunged for 2013 - 2016. If she retired then, how come she is being banned now?

• Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 05/01/24 - 15:51 #12
    Disappointing that the European Athletic Championships in 2026 awarded to Birmingham remains under threat. I really think they need to look at a better way of funding these events as too much is placed on the local authority.

It would be a shame to lose the event. The championships have been going since 1934, Great Britain top the all time medal table yet the Birmingham event would have been the first time it was held in the UK . Please let it happen.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyj9gk88vd9o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope it doesn't move from Birmingham. Athletics events are always so well so well supported in Britain, the Commonwealth games had an electric atmosphere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing that the European Athletic Championships in 2026 awarded to Birmingham remains under threat. I really think they need to look at a better way of funding these events as too much is placed on the local authority.

It would be a shame to lose the event. The championships have been going since 1934, Great Britain top the all time medal table yet the Birmingham event would have been the first time it was held in the UK . Please let it happen.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyj9gk88vd9o

Hopefully London can step in if Birmingham can't host. I guess a big part of the costs for Birmingham will be adding the temporary stands back as the 18,000 permanent capacity is really too small for the European Champs; especially in Britain where these events are always popular amongst fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panhandle wrote: »

Can anyone clarify? The BBC article says '....Korobkina, 33, has been banned for four years from September 2023 and her results from July 2013 to July 2016 will be expunged'. Why have her results only been expunged for 2013 - 2016. If she retired then, how come she is being banned now?

They keep the doping samples for a set period of time after they were taken, perhaps 10 years, although I could be mistaken. This enables the samples to be re-tested once the doping detection technology has been improved, and they can retrospectively take medals away from people and award them to others, who have their own samples re-analysed as is the case here.

It's a shame about Birmingham, I really hope they can be staged there, as we've proven time and time again that athletics championships are always well attended, better than a lot of other countries. I just hope they stay in the UK at least.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Birmingham got a real good feel factor from the Commonwealth Games too.

I know money can be tight and obviously needs to be invested everywhere but the city would get good revenue too .
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope it doesn't move from Birmingham. Athletics events are always so well so well supported in Britain, the Commonwealth games had an electric atmosphere.

I agree with that they almost had full stadiums for the morning sessions.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakob just said he's not gonna do indoor World Champs, and focus on Paris and Europeans :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Jakob just said he's not gonna do indoor World Champs, and focus on Paris and Europeans :)

Interesting. I think the Brits stand a real chance of winning again then if they go for it, but I'm not sure they'd want to do it in an Olympic year, but on the other hand our two world champions are both Scottish with the championships taking place in Glasgow, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakob was never going anywhere near Glasgow - setting foot on Scottish soil would be rather triggering.

I believe Wightman has ruled out competing at World Indoors; Josh Kerr is keen but his coach less so. Neil Gourley likes running indoors so could see him doing it.
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Harry A-A has found a new career!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 13/01/24 - 18:29 #22
    News from last weekend but don't think it got posted here; Tigist Ketema ran 2:16:07 to win the Dubai Marathon with the fastest debut ever. This surpasses Gidey's record debut, and is the 10th fastest performance ever. Ketema was primarily an 800 metre runner previously and had never even ran a half marathon before her marathon debut.

Also possibly missed in the Christmas/New Year's celebrations, but Beatrice Chebet ran 14:13 to break the 5k world road record in Barcelona. She's made huge strides inside the last couple of years, so it'll be interesting to see how far she can go. Would like to see her in a world record attempt to try and tackle sub 14.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the European championships will go ahead in Birmingham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckv4474y041o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/67961315

Interview with Wightman confirming he won't be competing at the World Indoors. I am hopeful of getting at least one Brit on the podium at the Olympics and/or Europeans, but it is a very competitive event.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Looks like the European championships will go ahead in Birmingham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckv4474y041o

Good news.

Be a big revenue success for Birmingham hopefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    World 10km road record shattered as two women run sub 29 for the first time ever. Agnes Jebet runs 28:46 whilst Emmaculate Acholi runs 28:57. Haven't seen anything in Jebet's progression to suggest she was capable of this, hasn't even broken 31 minutes on the track although she did finish 6th at World's last year.

The runner up is even more fishy though, has never broken 15 minutes for 5k on the track, and only has a 32:51 10k PB. Let's hope it's all legit 🫣