Options

Rumour: Microsoft to go third party and release games on PlayStation and Nintendo

Nick1984sNick1984s Posts: 2,259
Forum Member
✭✭✭
edited 04/02/24 - 21:50 in Gaming #1
Starfield is the latest Microsoft/Bethesda game supposedly coming to PS5 later this year

https://xboxera.com/2024/02/04/exclusive-microsoft-plans-starfield-launch-for-playstation-5/

Hi-Fi Rush also rumoured to be coming to PS5 and Switch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/02/02/xboxs-megahit-hi-fi-rush-is-definitely-coming-to-ps5-and-switch/amp/

Comments

• Options
    Paul2207Paul2207 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Xbox Sales being behind the switch and PS5 absolutely blowing it out of the water, them still losing money on every console sold & game pass meaning users aren’t buying as many games on their platform, I don’t think them making their games multiplatform should come as much of a surprise. It makes perfect business sense.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These rumours keep been talked about at the moment but until we start seeing exclusives releasing outside of Xbox it could all just be talk. I remember all the talk during PS3 of Sony going 3rd party and that was all just FUD in the end...

I wonder if this is some sort of internal battle inside Microsoft with MS executive wanting to cut their losses with Xbox and start making some money from the games they make and the Xbox division arguing staying the course will pay bigger in the long run. Phil Spencer has been head of Xbox for nearly 10 years since taking over after the disastrous Xbox One reveal, he has spend huge amounts of money acquiring studios but hasn't really improved Xboxes fortunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    These rumours keep been talked about at the moment but until we start seeing exclusives releasing outside of Xbox it could all just be talk. I remember all the talk during PS3 of Sony going 3rd party and that was all just FUD in the end...

I wonder if this is some sort of internal battle inside Microsoft with MS executive wanting to cut their losses with Xbox and start making some money from the games they make and the Xbox division arguing staying the course will pay bigger in the long run. Phil Spencer has been head of Xbox for nearly 10 years since taking over after the disastrous Xbox One reveal, he has spend huge amounts of money acquiring studios but hasn't really improved Xboxes fortunes.

I think the difference is between those rumours back then regarding Sony and the rumours now with Microsoft is how poorly the Xbox division is performing, they were well below the forecasted sales last year, spent all this money and not seeing any return. And also how many “sources” have seemingly leaked what’s going on.

With the switch 2 heavily rumoured to be releasing later this year, heavily rumoured PS5 pro at the end of this year or start of next and Xbox looking unlikely to be releasing an upgrade version, unless the department is being run by egos who can’t admit defeat, staying the course & hoping they somehow miraculously catch up would be nothing short of insanity, especially with how much they’ve spent acquiring studios. Turning Microsoft into the biggest 3rd party distributor imo is not only a logical move but best move they could make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No denial of 3rd party rumour adds weight to the rumour as this will lead to a week of speculation when they could just shut the rumour down.

If the rumour COD isn't going on Gamepass day one is true it makes me wonder if some financial people in Microsoft have seen all the ABK financial details and thought f*** that's a lot of money to leave on the table. Those same financial details could also show how much money a PS version could make versus an Xbox version.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GamePass needed to hit critical mass in order to fund the games it provides.

With Xbox console sales declining year after year, that hasn’t come, and looks decreasingly likely to.

The test for them will be to sell enough games to PlayStation and Nintendo owners while keeping Xbox consoles and GamePass relevant and attractive to gamers.

Even if Xbox as a console platform ceases to exist, they could still be the biggest gaming software company in the world.

The worry is PlayStation and Nintendo dominating the market, with less competition to keep them on their toes.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 06/02/24 - 06:01 #8
    Nick1984s wrote: »

Whatever's happening it seems they feel the need to clarify things so I guess we'll find out soon if we will see Xbox games on other platforms.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    edited 06/02/24 - 10:37 #9

To me, this all but confirms these rumours that Xbox games will be going multiplatform.

You don't schedule an entire business update around just Hi-Fi Rush and Starfield going to PlayStation.

Seems like GamePass might be Microsoft's main focus going forward, over the Xbox brand.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 06/02/24 - 11:40 #10
    I don't know why people are going crazy about Xbox games going 3rd party........hasn't Xbox being saying they want their games played everywhere for the best part of the decade at this point? Anybody acting surprised either hasn't been listening or ignoring it.

Xbox has been trash since the end of the 360 era at this point. The Xbox One destroyed the brand and the Series S/X is basically just killing off what's left of them in the console space.

Xbox were always going to go 3rd party, because they don't have and never have had the consumer base to make back what was spent on Bathesda and Activision.

Microsoft has never made money on Xbox, and it's been over 20 years at this point. Their only chance of making money at this point is to put what they have acquired on everything.

The next part is will Microsoft pull out of the console business altogether? You have to ask why wouldn't they at this point? They are selling less and less consoles and Gamepass alone is not going to sell consoles. They will lose money with Gamepass subs because games like COD would sell more than they could ever make through subscriptions.

Then you need to look at their games they are putting out. High Fi Rush was okay, but not a system seller. Starfield is ass, Halo has been dying for a decade, Forza is boring, Gears is awol and as much as they love to talk about how amazing Hellblade 2 is, nobody cares about it. I haven't met or spoken to single person that gives a damn about Hellblade. It's been in development forever and any excitement it did have disappeared years ago. Nobody even cared about the first game. Humble Bundle have been giving the game away for years now because nobody cares about it.

Barely anybody will miss Xbox if they left the console space at this point. The only sad part will be everybody losing all of those digital purchases and Gamerscore they have built up over the years. I don't know how that gets saved and it will rightly piss off a lot of people if they lose it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I don't know why people are going crazy about Xbox games going 3rd party........hasn't Xbox being saying they want their games played everywhere for the best part of the decade at this point? Anybody acting surprised either hasn't been listening or ignoring it.

Xbox has been trash since the end of the 360 era at this point. The Xbox One destroyed the brand and the Series S/X is basically just killing off what's left of them in the console space.

Xbox were always going to go 3rd party, because they don't have and never have had the consumer base to make back what was spent on Bathesda and Activision.

Microsoft has never made money on Xbox, and it's been over 20 years at this point. Their only chance of making money at this point is to put what they have acquired on everything.

The next part is will Microsoft pull out of the console business altogether? You have to ask why wouldn't they at this point? They are selling less and less consoles and Gamepass alone is not going to sell consoles. They will lose money with Gamepass subs because games like COD would sell more than they could ever make through subscriptions.

Then you need to look at their games they are putting out. High Fi Rush was okay, but not a system seller. Starfield is ass, Halo has been dying for a decade, Forza is boring, Gears is awol and as much as they love to talk about how amazing Hellblade 2 is, nobody cares about it. I haven't met or spoken to single person that gives a damn about Hellblade. It's been in development forever and any excitement it did have disappeared years ago. Nobody even cared about the first game. Humble Bundle have been giving the game away for years now because nobody cares about it.

Barely anybody will miss Xbox if they left the console space at this point. The only sad part will be everybody losing all of those digital purchases and Gamerscore they have built up over the years. I don't know how that gets saved and it will rightly piss off a lot of people if they lose it all.

Supposedly they still haven’t signed a deal with AMD to help develop the next console, instead shopped around, with Intel at one point being considered. Nothing is concrete at the moment it’s still just rumours but everything they’re doing does just scream they’re pulling out of the console market after this generation.

On Hellblade 2, personally I think looks good but a game that’s only 6-8 hours long is never going to sell consoles…fun fact about the first one tho I’m good friends with Vikki Wild who was the body model for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 06/02/24 - 14:42 #12
    SegaGamer wrote: »

MS cant just abandon the Xbox in the same way Sega had to with the Dreamcast. People have large digital libraries of games in the Xbox eco system and walking away from them will not serve MS well as a 3rd party publisher who want to push digital games and services. The collapse of the Xbox in that way will do serious harm to the idea of digital games. Since the Sony / Discovery issue we have seen an increase in people worrying about the demise of physical media.

What if MS do leave the hardware business and go 3rd party. But based on that other rumour of licencing out the hardware to others they keep Xbox hardware alive but made by others. Then scrap the licence for launching games on Xbox. This would really cause issues from Sony and Nintendo.

• Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    I'm not Microsoft will be ready to completely dump the Xbox division, they launched a new console not that long ago and obviously have lots of in development 'exclusives.' I think this will be much more along the lines of allowing the traditional third party publishers they've bought in Bethesda and Activision work more independently from Xbox Game Studios. You can still do the 'Day 1 on Gamepass' sthick, while also selling Indiana Jones, Starfield, Elder Scrolls etc... on PlayStation where the market is much larger and they will shift copies. If nothing else, it gets eyeballs on their games and then maybe encourages them to sign up to Gamepass/buy into the Xbox ecosystem if they like what they see. The problem I currently have with Gamepass is that there is so much content on there, but none of it is completely essentially system selling to convince me to drop some money to enter it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »

Yeah they want to have their cake and eat it, they want people to continue to buy Xbox and pay for Gamepass while also putting their games on PS5 and Switch.

The risk is that doing so severely affects Xbox console sales, why buy the console if you can get all the games on another console which has more games anyway.

The bean counters at Microsoft have deemed that this is worth it, and apparently the leak came about from a Microsoft employee who was unhappy with the decision.

Xbox consoles may well continue, but they’ll become very niche and low selling, the console war appears to be over.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The meltdown from the fanboys on X is let's say entertaining, people selling their xboxs, cancelling gamepass even though nothing has been officially confirmed yet.
    It sums up the mentallity of fanboys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    The meltdown from the fanboys on X is let's say entertaining, people selling their xboxs, cancelling gamepass even though nothing has been officially confirmed yet.

Imagine being that fanatical about a piece of plastic.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul2207 wrote: »

https://x.com/oliver_drk/status/1685067739348566016
  • Options
    seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its the same with Messi vs Ronaldo
    And DC versus Marvel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox Game Pass rebranded to “Microsoft Game Pass”

o44krs65b8xc.png

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GameStop posted before deleting it an advertisement to join them for Xbox Demo Day and at the bottom of the advertisement it referred to Xbox game pass as Microsoft game pass!!

Likely a harmless mistake, but we’ll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GameStop posted before deleting it an advertisement to join them for Xbox Demo Day and at the bottom of the advertisement it referred to Xbox game pass as Microsoft game pass!!

Seems like they jumped the gun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems like they jumped the gun.

Ahhh I noticed you just beat me to it haha, must have posted whilst I was typing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Day One on Xbox Game Pass' could be left behind with a rebrand.
  • Options
    Tommo85Tommo85 Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    That’s a shame if true. I’ve had an XBox since the original and while I think I’ve backed the wrong horse for the last couple of generations, I have always enjoyed the ecosystem. It will also mean a lack of competition for Sony, which will in turn drive up prices and stifle innovation.

Having said that, I can still see the current consoles being supported well into the future, and this announcement will be more of an update on where their games will be available rather than exiting the hardware side. Could be Gamepass on PS5, publishing their games on other consoles or cloud gaming on different devices. Might be a combination of all three.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

https://x.com/oliver_drk/status/1685067739348566016

It's no different to those individuals who are fanatical about a sports team.