Options

Beyonce - Act II: Cowboy Carter (Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,514
Forum Member
✭✭
edited 12/03/24 - 18:23 in Music #1
Beyonce presents Act 2 of a planned trilogy of albums. Two new songs and a release date of March 29 were confirmed a few hours ago during the Super Bowl.

16 Carriages
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hhKNjTb6U1Y

Texas Hold Em
https://youtube.com/watch?v=238Z4YaAr1g

Comments

• Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 12/02/24 - 07:25 #2
    I like both. Think 16 Carriages is fantastic though. I’m excited to see what she does with this whole Act 2 era, as who could have imagined when we first heard Act 1 how amazing it would be.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Beyonce's releasing an R'n'B country album? I wonder if anyone will accuse her of cultural appropriation? :D
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So Beyonce's releasing an R'n'B country album? I wonder if anyone will accuse her of cultural appropriation? :D

it was quite common for the same in house session musicians to back both rnb and country artists. no doubt the beyonce album will end up sounding more like rnb/pop/edm or whatever than a real country album or even alt-country
  • Options
    PlanetJayPlanetJay Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really hoping she wasn't going for Country,.giving shades of when Gaga did Joanne 😩

The songs are OKish, I doubt I will have them on repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to both songs. The country vibe isn't for me. Didn't like Texas and 16 is marginally better but nope not music to my ears. I'll be giving this a hard pass.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess she believes it's country so she can submit it to the country categories for awards, and these are crazy times it may even get nominated, but it isn't country. Because you wear a hat it doesnt make it country.
  • Options
    MrsKrayMrsKray Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about as country as Kylie's Golden was :D

That being said - I already like both of these songs more than most of her output over the last decade. Sounds like she's on her way to remembering what a hook/chorus is. They're nice songs. Nothing incredible or life changing, but nice.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess she believes it's country so she can submit it to the country categories for awards, and these are crazy times it may even get nominated, but it isn't country. Because you wear a hat it doesnt make it country.

The Miranda Lamberts and Leanne Rimes will be fuming when Beyoncé sweeps the Country Music Awards next year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 16 Carriages is one of the best songs she’s ever done. I love it. What I’m most looking forward to though is Act 3 which is rumoured to be Rock N Roll…if true that has the potential to be incredible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The planning that must have gone into this whole project is insane. It’s looking likely we’ll now get the visuals for all 3 acts at the end of act 3 and they will all link together. Looking at the Pure/Honey preview and others, country and rock were hinted at. Also, the horse (Reneigh) used to symbolise act 1 is also an animal that can be linked to country and rock.
  • Options
    Off The WallOff The Wall Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got a hit on her hands with Texas Hold 'Em. it's projecting to debut at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 which is incredible considering it was released in the middle of the tracking week so only had 4 days of sales/streams! So happy for her and looking forward to the rest of this era.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,001
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »

The Miranda Lamberts and Leanne Rimes will be fuming when Beyoncé sweeps the Country Music Awards next year

🤗Miranda's one of my favourites. I don't think that she has anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Texas Hold Em made it to No 1 on the country chart in the US. She's the first woman to ever achieve this. The song is currently No 2 on the Billboard 100

But over here in the UK, she's on course to bag her first number 1 since If I Were A Boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correction - First black woman to achieve a number 1 on the country chart in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Texas Hold Em has become a bit of a grower for me. It's catchy.
  • Options
    PlanetJayPlanetJay Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's officially number one in UK. I'm actually abit perplexed by this. It doesnt seem like many people like it, and I actually think it's her worst single.

I'm still hoping it will grow on me.

Wonder if it will hold out or sink like a stone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PlanetJay wrote: »
    It's officially number one in UK. I'm actually abit perplexed by this. It doesnt seem like many people like it, and I actually think it's her worst single.

I'm still hoping it will grow on me.

Wonder if it will hold out or sink like a stone...

People seem to be going crazy for it! I do really like it and congratulations to her. I do actually prefer 16 Carriages though…I’d go as far as to say that’s one of the best songs she’s done for me. I’m surprised it wasn’t that one that people went crazy for. I’m interested to hear what the album sounds like now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’m guessing on the tour for this album she’ll bring back Daddy Lessons from Lemonade. Also she’s previously done country versions of Irreplaceable and Single Ladies so they might make a re-appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16 Carriages was a slow-ish grower for me. I say slow-ish because it only took me 2/3 days for it to click. Not very single worthy though. Texas Hold Em is and I am not surprised that it has been the hit out of the two.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 26/02/24 - 22:30 #21
    Already top 10 in ten countries!

Texas Hold 'Em has now hit:
    • #1 in the US, UK, Ireland and New Zealand
    • #2 in the Netherlands and Sweden
    • #3 in Australia and Switzerland
    • #4 in Norway
    • #9 in Japan

It's also predicted to top the charts in Canada. Incredible start. :smiley:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 26/02/24 - 23:54 #22

• #4 in Norway
    • #9 in Japan

…and not long after posting that it’s now been confirmed that she’s got the Canada #1 too.
    https://www.billboard.com/artist/beyonce/chart-history/can/

A global hit! 🤩 2024 is shaping up to be one of Beyoncé’s best years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

• #4 in Norway
    • #9 in Japan

…and not long after posting that it’s now been confirmed that she’s got the Canada #1 too.
    https://www.billboard.com/artist/beyonce/chart-history/can/

A global hit! 🤩 2024 is shaping up to be one of Beyoncé’s best years.

Will be interesting to see the impact the album has. The country music scene in the U.S seemed very reluctant to support her at first, especially radio, whereas now it’s the complete opposite. She could have a huge hit album on her hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less than a month until we get the album. I assume we should get a tracklisting soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The country scene is lapping this up. Texas Hold Em still number one in US and U.K. as well as other places. Shaping up well for the album. I’m more looking forward to the rock act (act 3)…there’s nobody really doing that in the mainstream right now, so it could be insanely good…especially if she takes it all the way back to the rock n roll roots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 11/03/24 - 15:48 #26
    Dolly Parton has confirmed that she gave Beyonce permission to use Jolene on her upcoming album.

I am thinking it's more of a sample and not a cover.