Another Freesat channel to close shortly, TalkTV. TalkTV to close

Comments

• Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 06/03/24 - 06:37 #2
    Yes, brilliant news isn't it?!

We just need that other lying r/w propaganda channel GB News to close ASAP.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/03/24 - 12:46 #3
    finlux wrote: »

Why? who's we speak for yourself because you don't like it oh well that's all right then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/24 - 06:59 #4
    Ray266 wrote: »

Why? who's we speak for yourself because you don't like it oh well that's all right then.

Have you not heard of grammar or punctuation?

I'll tell you why: because it is a biased, right wing, Murdoch owned, Tory propaganda channel. Admittedly, not as bad as the poisonous GB News.

Why do you need a r/w propaganda channel to tell you what to think? News/current affairs should be free of ALL political bias.
  • Options
    Hunter2660Hunter2660 Posts: 102
    Forum Member

I'll tell you why: because it is a biased, right wing, Murdoch owned, Tory propaganda channel. Admittedly, not as bad as the poisonous GB News.

Why do you need a r/w propaganda channel to tell you what to think? News/current affairs should be free of ALL political bias.

My god, such vitriol because somebody has a different viewpoint to yourself. What on earth is happening in this world?
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair the less of Murdoch's influence on TV the better. He is poisonous no doubt he will attempt to buy Channel 4 if the government ever decide to sell up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11/03/24 - 04:44 #7
    Hunter2660 wrote: »

My god, such vitriol because somebody has a different viewpoint to yourself. What on earth is happening in this world?

Not at all, people are free to have any viewpoint they choose.

My vitriol is with these r/w propaganda channels that spread lies, conspiracy theories & hatred and are basically a mouthpiece for the Tories & far right.

Why are you defending the poison they spew? Are you that gullible, or does it just enforce your own views?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member

My vitriol is with these r/w propaganda channels that spread lies, conspiracy theories & hatred and are basically a mouthpiece for the Tories & far right.

Why are you defending the poison they spew? Are you that gullible, or does it just enforce your own views?

If you don't like it, then don't watch it - I couldn't even tell you what channel number it was on :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Actually I do not watch Talk TV or GB News, but I don't slag off people that do, that is their right and I support it. You say every everybody has the right to air their views, then call anybody who doesn't share your views as being gullible. My god, have you watched those channels to confirm they spread lies, conspiracy theories and hatred, or is that just your opinion? Good grief give us a break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12/03/24 - 06:09 #10

If you don't like it, then don't watch it - I couldn't even tell you what channel number it was on :D

And nor could I.

I don't watch it, never have, never will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually I do not watch Talk TV or GB News, but I don't slag off people that do, that is their right and I support it. You say every everybody has the right to air their views, then call anybody who doesn't share your views as being gullible. My god, have you watched those channels to confirm they spread lies, conspiracy theories and hatred, or is that just your opinion? Good grief give us a break.

Of course it's their right to watch it, I've not said any different! 🙄 It is also my right to call out racist, conspiracy theorist r/w loons.

I've never watched them, but I don't need to. There are reports/comments everywhere about how bad they are. Even OFCOM has multiple cases open against GB News.

Why are you defending these vile channels?? They are nothing but poison!
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12/03/24 - 08:50 #12

Of course it's their right to watch it, I've not said any different! 🙄 It is also my right to call out racist, conspiracy theorist r/w loons.

I've never watched them, but I don't need to. There are reports/comments everywhere about how bad they are. Even OFCOM has multiple cases open against GB News.

I have no interest in defending or attacking either channel but you are an extreme example of the very thing you are protesting about.
    In your mind only your views are "correct" and anyone or anything you disagree with should be condemned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 12/03/24 - 13:13 #13

I'm not defending these channels, I'm defending the right for others to watch them if they so wish. It's called democracy. As for the content, I have little idea of what they output, as I've never watched them. Therefore it's unwise to comment based on hearsay, if you've never watched how can you criticize. Provide proof on any lies, conspiracy theories etc. please.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not defending these channels, I'm defending the right for others to watch them if they so wish. It's called democracy. As for the content, I have little idea of what they output, as I've never watched them. Therefore it's unwise to comment based on hearsay, if you've never watched how can you criticize. Provide proof on any lies, conspiracy theories etc. please.

So why were Fox News and Russia Today removed from U.K. TV platforms ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    I have no interest in defending or attacking either channel but you are an extreme example of the very thing you are protesting about.
    In your mind only your views are "correct" and anyone or anything you disagree with should be condemned.

Sorry, but you are talking utter nonsense!

I wish I was clever enough to think I was correct about things - I'm not, I make mistakes just like everyone else. People can disagree with anything they wish - that is their right, & I have no beef with that. It can make for very interesting debates.

What I am condemning is the poisonous lies & propaganda that these channels spout. Thankfully, they are watched by so very little people, which is why Talk TV is closing and the extreme GB News is millions in debt.

If Talk TV or GB News was balanced & fair and did not promote far right ideologies then there would be no issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 13/03/24 - 06:35 #16
    I'm not defending these channels, I'm defending the right for others to watch them if they so wish. It's called democracy. As for the content, I have little idea of what they output, as I've never watched them. Therefore it's unwise to comment based on hearsay, if you've never watched how can you criticize.

Good grief! Why are you happy for others to watch channels that are racist and promote r/w propaganda? Would you be happy if there was a channel promoting paedophilia? I suppose as you're such a big supporter of 'democracy' you would! 🙄
    Provide proof on any lies, conspiracy theories etc. please.

It is well reported everywhere. See these links as an example:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/gb-news-uk-bias/
    https://inews.co.uk/news/business/how-gb-news-became-a-mainstream-conduit-for-conspiracy-theorists-2203696?ico=most_popular
    https://newstatesman.com/comment/2023/11/gb-news-tory-tv
    https://theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/08/jewish-groups-urge-gb-news-to-stop-indulging-conspiracy-theories
    https://thenational.scot/news/23306565.gb-news-urged-stop-indulging-conspiracy-theories/

And there are many more. Just google to find them.
    Hertz wrote: »

Exactly!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Fox News and Russia Today broke Ofcom's rules about impartiality and had their licence revoked......... Yet GB News and Talk TV are still broadcasting suggesting they haven't broke the rules, (although it appears they're pushing the envelope). Again I have never watched any of the channels so I can't really comment. But I think I'll dip in out of curiosity and form my own opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not defending these channels, I'm defending the right for others to watch them if they so wish. It's called democracy. As for the content, I have little idea of what they output, as I've never watched them. Therefore it's unwise to comment based on hearsay, if you've never watched how can you criticize.

Good grief! Why are you happy for others to watch channels that are racist and promote r/w propaganda? Would you be happy if there was a channel promoting peadophilia? I suppose as you're such a big supporter of 'democracy' you would! 🙄

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/how-gb-news-became-a-mainstream-conduit-for-conspiracy-theorists-2203696?ico=most_popular
    https://theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/08/jewish-groups-urge-gb-news-to-stop-indulging-conspiracy-theories
    https://thenational.scot/news/23306565.gb-news-urged-stop-indulging-conspiracy-theories/

Exactly!

Thanks for the links, very interesting. As I said, regardless of my opinions, people have the right to choose what, and how, they view news channels. That's the freedom we cherish. Sure have an opinion, but don't ram it down the throat of other individuals. That's pointless.

Oh and by the way the crass comment about pedophilia is puerile and childish..... and I think you know it.
  • Options
    GuineyeGuineye Posts: 359
    Forum Member

Fox News and Russia Today broke Ofcom's rules about impartiality and had their licence revoked......... Yet GB News and Talk TV are still broadcasting suggesting they haven't broke the rules, (although it appears they're pushing the envelope). Again I have never watched any of the channels so I can't really comment. But I think I'll dip in out of curiosity and form my own opinion.

Fox News didn't have its licence revoked, but past Ofcom rulings against it were causing bad publicity when News Corp was trying to get approval to buy the 61% of Sky it didn't already own.
    The official line was that it was removed due to low viewership.
  • Options
    bob.hbob.h Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I watched Talk TV a couple of times. It seems like a run-of-the-mill phone in to me, apart from Piers Morgan's show. Vennesa Feltz is there with the same persona as when she was on BBC Radio. James Whale taking the piss of the callers. Petri Hosken also doing a counterpoint-based phone in. I don't think it's in the same league as GB News as a propaganda outlet, it seems a bit odd to me if anything, a bit amateur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good grief! Why are you happy for others to watch channels that are racist and promote r/w propaganda? Would you be happy if there was a channel promoting peadophilia? I suppose as you're such a big supporter of 'democracy' you would! 🙄

Exactly!

Thanks for the links, very interesting. As I said, regardless of my opinions, people have the right to choose what, and how, they view news channels. That's the freedom we cherish. Sure have an opinion, but don't ram it down the throat of other individuals. That's pointless.

Oh and by the way the crass comment about pedophilia is puerile and childish..... and I think you know it.

You are 100% right and I completely agree: we're supposed to live in a democracy and people have the right to watch whatever they want. My beef is with these channels that are hugely biased and peddle nothing other than r/w lies & hatred etc.

And yes, my paedophilia comment was puerile and childish, but my point stands: If it is OK for channels to spout government lies, misinformation, division and hatred, (which is something myself, and millions of others find wrong & offensive) then it must be OK if a channel that promoted paedophilia too (which myself and millions of others would also find wrong and offensive)? You cannot say it is "democracy" to allow people the freedom to watch an extreme, far right propaganda channel and it isn't "democracy" if it was an extreme channel promoting paedophilia.

I agree with democracy. What I vehemently disagree with is extremism. There has to be some sort of regulation involved.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep! I used to love watching GB News on YouTube until for some reason I didn't bother with it anymore. I also used to watch Talk TV as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

Yep! I used to love watching GB News on YouTube until for some reason I didn't bother with it anymore. I also used to watch Talk TV as well.

I have no doubt it won't be long before you will be accused of supporting the poison they spew, the propaganda and lies, and are you really that gullible? Even though you have a mind of your own, and it's your decision ;)
  • Options
    UltimoManUltimoMan Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I didn't post this to cause any arguments. Please don't.

I wanted to highlight that yet another channel was leaving Freesat. It seems that Freesat will only decline further now that Freely is on its way. Broadcasters obviously don't think that paying Freesat to be on their EPG is value for money. It doesn't look like Freesat has the mind to reduce their charges to maintain channels on the platform. There does seem like an exodus as this site reports.
    https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/freesats-growing-exodus-of-channels/
  • Options
    bob.hbob.h Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I think the word 'exodus' is being dramatic for click bait. I know the channels are all individual taste. But what we are talking about - a greyhound racing channel, a televised radio phone in, and the 'great' channels which, I guess, some people must watch to make them viable at all. I agree about the point about the fees, but if this is the only impact then I think the interpretation on that article is wrong.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    bob.h wrote: »
    I think the word 'exodus' is being dramatic for click bait..

Agreed. Not really sure what point the author is trying to make at all. With the exception of the Narrative channels all of the services mentioned are closing in their entirety so it isn't like the operators are staging some epic boycott against the platform.

The presumption from them and others on here that "Freely" is going to revolutionize the media landscape I will take with a massive pinch of salt.