Options

Series 14 / Season One Trailer

Comments

• Options
    stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, weve got a thread all about the trailer.....

OK.

Now that trailer looked good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel *very* naughty for pointing this out...

But the trailer was released on the Disney+ YouTube channel at 5pm UK time.

At time of writing its 5.44pm and its still not on the UK Dr Who official Youtube channel.
  • Options
    ReificationReification Posts: 5,058
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

YES!!!!!!!!! That looks so fcking brilliant!!!
  • Options
    K9s tailK9s tail Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks amazing. Cannot wait.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trailers are always good but recently haven’t lived up to the episodes themselves so won’t be getting overexcited until I see the episodes in full.

🙂
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks interesting. And you can’t beat a bit of Bowie. Even a cover version I assume. Hmmm. Aladdin Sane is probably my favourite, but Hunky Dory (including Changes of course) is damn close. Then again I get why people would go for Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders fro…sorry, this stuff belongs in the music forum, doesn’t it!
  • Options
    DemdikeDemdike Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    edited 22/03/24 - 21:24 #8
    Must just be me then but that trailer does nothing at all for me. Nothing to draw me in, in fact remove the TARDIS from those two and a bit minutes and you wouldn't even know it was Doctor Who.

Where's the hook? Where's the hint of a Dalek or some other big bad. Other than a dinosaur and perhaps one on a spaceship can't recall any threat at all.

It's a long way removed from the classic 'Trip of a lifetime' sadly.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 22/03/24 - 21:55 #9
    Looks like lots of fun

Just what the show needs.

Let’s have some fun for a change instead of the serious stuff we have seen over recent seasons.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demdike wrote: »
    Must just be me then but that trailer does nothing at all for me. Nothing to draw me in, in fact remove the TARDIS from those two and a bit minutes and you wouldn't even know it was Doctor Who.

Where's the hook? Where's the hint of a Dalek or some other big bad. Other than a dinosaur and perhaps one on a spaceship can't recall any threat at all.

It is just you then :smiley:

I think the exact opposite.

It was fast paced, designed to pull in new viewers, and gave a broad sense of the tone of the series without revealing any spoilers.

In that 2 minutes we get to showcase a range of settings and stories which is just as the show would be. We saw a significant increase in visual quality and VFX.

Sadly we also saw bl**dy Tennant's face pop up in the trailer. Would rather not have got him involved in Ncuti's first season but there he was.

Anyway, If I was a prospective new viewer to the show I would be definitely drawn in, and Id know it's a show that travels through time and space with monsters, aliens, and historical settings....

Job done. Good trailer. Looking forward to the series.
  • Options
    DemdikeDemdike Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    edited 22/03/24 - 22:34 #11
    stocklen wrote: »

It was fast paced, designed to pull in new viewers, and gave a broad sense of the tone of the series without revealing any spoilers.

In that 2 minutes we get to showcase a range of settings and stories which is just as the show would be. We saw a significant increase in visual quality and VFX.

Sadly we also saw bl**dy Tennant's face pop up in the trailer. Would rather not have got him involved in Ncuti's first season but there he was.

Anyway, If I was a prospective new viewer to the show I would be definitely drawn in, and Id know it's a show that travels through time and space with monsters, aliens, and historical settings....

It'll be fine when it airs no doubt although i hope it's better written than the dancing goblin one was. ;)

As a new Doctor's opening episode it really didn't compare to The Christmas Invasion, The Eleventh Hour, Deep Breath or The Woman Who Fell to Earth.
  • Options
    Jeremy_ClarkJeremy_Clark Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I wonder if before the show is on tv, there will be another trailer?
  • Options
    Forum Member

errr......yeh you would. because doctor who was literally nearly in every single clip
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I kind of agree. I felt like I just watched a generic cookie-cutter trailer for some B-tier Marvel series. It's the sort of trailer I've already seen (and ignored) a thousand times before.

The trailer goes all-in trying to play up the goofy comedic elements, and they're obviously trying to present the Doctor as a super charismatic and relatable super-hero. But where is that sense of mystique and unpredictability? Or that sense of wide-eyed wonder and adventure? Or even a sense of high stakes and epic scale? It all feels a bit insincere.

As you say, there's not really any hook. Not for me anyway.

This trailer makes Doctor Who look like mass-produced homogenised Disney slop.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I kind of agree. I felt like I just watched a generic cookie-cutter trailer for some B-tier Marvel series. It's the sort of trailer I've already seen (and ignored) a thousand times before.

The trailer goes all-in trying to play up the goofy comedic elements, and they're obviously trying to present the Doctor as a super charismatic and relatable super-hero. But where is that sense of mystique and unpredictability? Or that sense of wide-eyed wonder and adventure? Or even a sense of high stakes and epic scale? It all feels a bit insincere.

i got a massive buzz of those two characteristics in the BIB when i watched the trailer
  • Options
    MemphisRainesMemphisRaines Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    edited 23/03/24 - 02:41 #16

I would love for you to point me in the direction of even one piece of entertainment, let alone from Disney, that looks anything like that trailer, because it would be incredible.
  • Options
    MemphisRainesMemphisRaines Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    edited 23/03/24 - 02:40 #17
    Duplicate.
    Ironic.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the hook? Where's the hint of a Dalek

Thank god! They really need to be rested instead of being brought back every series. Same with the cybermen
  • Options
    physician_whatphysician_what Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's not designed to pull in existing fans - they'll come back anyway I guess, it's the casual/new viewer who needs a hook. Many won't care if there are cybermen or daleks - they're in every fricking series anyway so lack their excitement value anymore IMHO.

It's a fast paced 'thrill ride' showing a load of diverse settings and situations, with a bit of comedy, hinting at a dangerous undertone - with an obviously vastly improved VFX budget over and above anything we've seen in a series recently.

And from the Dissney+ perspective, it highlights it's different to other Sci-Fi seres. Probably the closest DIsney property is Guardians of the Galaxy or Loki, but sufficiently different that they clearly hope to pull in a new audience.

• Options
    physician_whatphysician_what Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

makes me wonder if we saw the same trailer.

It feels sufficiently different to anything else Disney do - and while Loki is very close in premise to Doctor Who (Immortal being, on a lone quest to save the universe, traveling through time and space against an all-powerful enemy....), in execution they are very different in tone, and mechanics.

If you look at the trailer for Loki and this, they are wildly different.

This shows a diverse series of settings, - Dinosaurs, regency Britain, 60s Britain, deep space, battlefields, dances. Then there's the promise of exciting monsters - supernatural, and a strong hint at a possible apocalyptic future. The dialogue from Ruby that makes it clear she feels that she's on some wild, magical adventure with this wildly exciting new friend. ALl without giving any spoilers away.

I'd say that should tick all the boxes you listed and then some - I'm surprised you didn't see them?
  • Options
    Col87Col87 Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member

The trailer was ok but I agree was not exactly exciting. Where the hint of danger at or the look of something going very wrong like we had in previous series trailers or the hint of a big shock even. I might be alone here but I liked it when they was a bit of a darker side to the series knowing everything would not just be ok I don’t get that impression here, what I do get is the sense it’s going to carry on from the specials with villains being to cartoonish and over the top and being all full of silly ness instead of the straight drama style we have been used to. Basically I have a feeling it’s going to be more comedy and silliness rather than the more dramatic series with a few light hearted bits that we have had. I will give it a chance especially Moffat episode but I get the feeling it’s not going to be for me anymore and will become to disney the signs where already there.
  • Options
    Jb2004Jb2004 Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    The trailer was great, it revealed just enough to get you and keep you hooked but didn't reveal a lot.

the more i see of Ncuti. the more i see and realize he was born to play The Doctor.

i didnt really take to Ruby in the xmas special but i know she will grow on me during season 1 :)

• Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Taking Trailers with a pinch of salt!...it was a good trailer. Enjoyed various bits of it like the stand on a butterfly clip. At least it gives an idea of the look of some of the episodes to come.
    Everything is Possible as the trailer said! :)
  • Options
    Gallifreyan321Gallifreyan321 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At time of writing its 5.44pm and its still not on the UK Dr Who official Youtube channel.

Think this is an International/US trailer, so Disney are promoting before the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think this is an International/US trailer, so Disney are promoting before the BBC.

as with most things its a moot point now as the BBC released the same trailer an hour later - just interesting to see the first place it was made available was the Disney+ twitter / YouTube account and not the BBCs.
    Under the current circumstances its a bit daft of the BBC to let that happen!
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    edited 23/03/24 - 19:51 #26
    Hmm, not sure how I feel about this trailer. Pushing the 'fun' which is admittedly good for advertising I suppose, but I wasn't seeing much in the way of what actual content to expect ( apart from the post apocalyptic looking future stuff, which I assume is from the finale, and admittedly did look intriguing).

Feels like the BBC trailers we usually have are much shorter, yet generally give you a much better idea about at least some of the threats and situations that will come up.

as with most things its a moot point now as the BBC released the same trailer an hour later - just interesting to see the first place it was made available was the Disney+ twitter / YouTube account and not the BBCs.
    Under the current circumstances its a bit daft of the BBC to let that happen
    !

On its own of course it would just seem like a minor quirk of release. With everything else though, it really feels like the newest bit of evidence in a pattern of a Disney in control.

I know you're not really seeing it as I am at the moment, but a few months ago, I was just like you, telling others that Disney was just a distributor and nothing more, fully believing what we'd been told, but the closer we've gotten to the release of the series it feels like everything that happens just confirms Disney calling the shots.

Starting with Disney telling RTD to change his Christmas script, through the planned release of series 14/1 that absolutely favours the US time zones far more than the UK in terms of being able to watch at a decent time of day without spoilers, and now a trailer released by Disney, emblazoned with the Disney logo, released before the BBC got to release their version.

To me, at this point, I just really don't understand how anyone is convincing themselves that Disney doesn't now have considerable influence over the show.