Options

Star Trek: Discovery - S5 (Paramount+)

carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,726
Forum Member
STARTS APRIL 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fehkip2VC28
Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) hosts this special look at Star Trek: Discovery's fifth and final season. Featuring an exclusive interview with series star Sonequa Martin-Green (Michael Burnham), sneak peeks and much more.

Trying to remember if they release eps weekly. I think they do.

Of course, we're also getting this season at the same time as everyone else! 👍

Comments

• Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STARTS APRIL 4
    Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) hosts this special look at Star Trek: Discovery's fifth and final season. Featuring an exclusive interview with series star Sonequa Martin-Green (Michael Burnham), sneak peeks and much more.

Two episodes on the 4th, then weekly till 30th May:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_Discovery_episodes#Season_5
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STARTS APRIL 4

Couldn't even get to the end of that video. "One of the best bridge crews in Starfleet". Really?

• Options
    Forum Member
    Well they're hardly going to berate the whole thing are they? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread and the preview show, i did not realise Wil had done a preview show, obviously all raving about it but the best part was Whoopi's 4 season review !

I only recently thought about Season 5 hence why i only now started looking to see if there was a thread for it yet. I remembered it started in April but needed to check the date, so this Thursday, and a double ep start, well i will certainly give it a go. But i already have the greatest treasure in the galaxy - the off button! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EP 1 and 2 of season 5 are now available.

Good to have it back, lots of drama and action but remains to be seen if it lives up to it, the plot isn't all that though, another most powerful device in the universe must be stopped from falling into the baddies hands! Nice TNG mention and pic at least!
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to go into this season with an open mind.
    The entire reason for the Burn and the season after I found to be a huge letdown.
    They said more of the Bridge crew would be included from the start so far its more of the same.
    Key characters getting the airtime
    Saru on his final away mission really felt like a cop on his last day before retirement
    were they going to kill him off. The main problem is Book, they brought him back and had to find a connection
    with one of the baddies Culber "are you okay" I swear if he asks him one more time.

It was great seeing them use something from a previous show in a meaningful way.
    If legacy does get the greenlight they have to learn the lesson from this show and make sure all the cast
    they want to build on get stories and inclusion,

The entire sand bike scene was direct from Star Wars we just needed JAJA making a cameo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This weeks Ready Room, Doug Jones is the guest. As always full of spoilers for EP 1 and 2, so make sure you watch them first!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eNizsYVNLSw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First two episodes were OK by Discovery standards so maybe they've taken on some the criticism of previous seasons. We certainly saw more of the bridge crew in the first one - though the vanished as usual in the second.

Will hold off on further comments until more have seen it.
  • Options
    Pete2174Pete2174 Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    First two episodes were OK by Discovery standards so maybe they've taken on some the criticism of previous seasons. We certainly saw more of the bridge crew in the first one - though the vanished as usual in the second.

Not a high bar tho!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 04/04/24 - 21:34 #11
    Two excellent episodes to kick off the season. I am enjoying it. Was nicely surprised by the link to TNG.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first episode thought it was pretty good for Discovery but the main problem I have is that I don’t find any of the cast particularly charismatic and I don’t really care about them. For me Discovery was most watchable with Lorca or Pike in the captain’s chair. I also find the tech ridiculous, I get it that they have to show they’re centuries ahead now but it’s all a bit too much. What could this ancient device possibly do that they can’t do already?
  • Options
    Pete2174Pete2174 Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Watched the first episode thought it was pretty good for Discovery but the main problem I have is that I don’t find any of the cast particularly charismatic and I don’t really care about them. For me Discovery was most watchable with Lorca or Pike in the captain’s chair. I also find the tech ridiculous, I get it that they have to show they’re centuries ahead now but it’s all a bit too much. What could this ancient device possibly do that they can’t do already?

Be responsible for a decent, science fact based story line?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 05/04/24 - 09:47 #14
    Pete2174 wrote: »

Not a high bar tho!

Very true. While there were some small improvements on seasons 3 and 4, it's still far too late for me to change my mind on the show as a whole.

Capt Rayner looks like good addition though I would have liked to have seen more of Fred.

• Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

Very true. While there were some small improvements on seasons 3 and 4, it's still far too late for me to change my mind on the show as a whole.

Capt Rayner looks like good addition though I would have liked to have seen more of Fred.

None of the cast of characters are particularly likeable (in fact, I find all of them very annoying), and then someone interesting with a bit of balls turns up.
    And like when Pike turned up, he's a middle-aged, grey-haired straight white male. Funny, that.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

Summed up much better than I ever could.
    that's been the most annoying thing I really wanted to like this series.
    It's not been the same since michelle yeoh left. Her Alter ego had some of the best scenes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

None of the cast of characters are particularly likeable (in fact, I find all of them very annoying), and then someone interesting with a bit of balls turns up.
    And like when Pike turned up, he's a middle-aged, grey-haired straight white male. Funny, that.

Again totally agree this has been the core issue with the show
    michelle yeoh I found the best character.
    When Culber kept asking was book okay he's literally being paid for a few lines each seen with the delivery of an amazon driver.
    You look at Crusher, Bones, Bashir even the EMH from Voyager they all had a personality. There is nothing coming from Culber
    I really want a Star trek Legacy to catch up where the Federation is right now but the character development has to be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

I don't need characters to be likable as long as they are well written, acted and are interesting. Captain Rayner isn't likable but he's shown more personality in 2 episodes than most of the Discovery crew have in 4 season - though he will probably end up worshipping at the feet of Burnham like everyone else.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

I don't need characters to be likable as long as they are well written, acted and are interesting. Captain Rayner isn't likable but he's shown more personality in 2 episodes than most of the Discovery crew have in 4 season - though he will probably end up worshipping at the feet of Burnham like everyone else.

think you are spot on,
    it's a great idea they are using a subject from another series its how they execute it.
    A kid getting angry over his mother dying and triggering the death of millions and thousands of ships and stations exploding
    if that was the best idea the writers came up with that was the moment for me the show lost it.

Picard season 3 managed to pull itself back through the writing and the story
    Strange new worlds has had a bit of a wobble from season 1. It's a good cast but some of the writing in season 2 was a lot weaker.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

Exactly the point I was so clumsily trying to make :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Not a high bar tho!

When Culber kept asking was book okay he's literally being paid for a few lines each seen with the delivery of an amazon driver.
    You look at Crusher, Bones, Bashir even the EMH from Voyager they all had a personality. There is nothing coming from Culber
    I really want a Star trek Legacy to catch up where the Federation is right now but the character development has to be better.

Culber is easily the worst CMO in all of Trek and it's not even close. At least Dr Pulaski had her moments. Apart from being dead for a while it's hard to think of anything he has done
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,103
    Forum Member

The writing on Picard Season 3 wasn't that good but it had the advantage of nostalgia which hit all the right parts of the brain and made the season far more enjoyable than the writing would have suggested. It also had a bunch of characters that many of us grew up with and really liked so it didn't need to sell them to us. Discovery doesn't have the nostalgia factor to fall back on so it lives and dies on it's writing.
    Culber is easily the worst CMO in all of Trek and it's not even close. At least Dr Pulaski had her moments. Apart from being dead for a while it's hard to think of anything he has done

I still don't understand how he magically returned to life with his entire memories intact based on a tear drop in a pocket dimension (or whatever that was). Years later it still makes no sense to me and I'm still thinking they wrote him out then had a change of mind and needed to use magic to get him back on the show :)

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Put a white man in it. Make him lame and straight"

Doesn't really cut it. Especially when we spent the first two episodes getting to the point of St Michael checking his privilege
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a high bar tho!

Sorry I sound like a broken record but this is the problem with Discovery.
    the medical staff on STW amazing, Its how the character was created written and direction.
    Asking book about being okay reminded me of Airplane when leslie nielsen kept opening the door saying we are all counting on you, good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRB24HUAKKs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »

The writing on Picard Season 3 wasn't that good but it had the advantage of nostalgia which hit all the right parts of the brain and made the season far more enjoyable than the writing would have suggested. It also had a bunch of characters that many of us grew up with and really liked so it didn't need to sell them to us. Discovery doesn't have the nostalgia factor to fall back on so it lives and dies on it's writing.

I still don't understand how he magically returned to life with his entire memories intact based on a tear drop in a pocket dimension (or whatever that was). Years later it still makes no sense to me and I'm still thinking they wrote him out then had a change of mind and needed to use magic to get him back on the show :)

we thought the same, they thought oh heck he's gone what next.
    the show seemed to get in such a tangle they decided on the time jump even though the Data had been transferred
    into the Cube. Something that was totally overlooked in the final fight with control,

I know in various conventions they tried to suggest the data being left in that century was dangerous enough
    but you could tell by the audience and total silence it was BS.

Agree about the nostalgia, for me that's been the sad thing about Discovery i did quite enjoy it
    then the entire burn story what it cost and it created for Saru in one sentence to say "The doctors say he poses no harm"
    He basically did a Thanos out of Grief all totally normal. They decided on such a dramatic event and wrapped it up
    with an ending that took about 20 minutes to create.

terry matalas needs to be given a chance given the weak state of Paramount + and the huge changes going on
    they seem to be totally squandering the franchise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 05/04/24 - 21:28 #26
    Holy crap there's some moaning going on here! ☹️

No-one's forcing you to rwatch it or come in here to comment. If I don't like a show after 3 episodes of the first season I stop watching it . I'm not there 5 seasons later still complaining about it.

Not saying you have can't have an opinion. Not saying you have to like the show. Not saying you can't post here; I couldn't stop you anyway!

Just saying perhaps watch something you do like and leave the rest of us to it?