Options

Enforced upgrade from Sky+ to Sky Q

Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Sky+ that works perfectly. Sky have now informed me it will no longer receive software updates and I have to upgrade to Sky Q which I am reluctant to do. Does this mean the old Sky+ box will stop working anytime soon?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned my current Sky+ box is HD.
  • Options
    bluestrawbluestraw Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who told you this? It doesn't ring true to me.
  • Options
    BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just an email to encourage you to change to Sky Q, your Sky HD hasn't had software updates/new features for a while.

Hello,

We’re writing to let you know that your Sky+ TV box will no longer receive software enhancements. And, because we value your loyalty and want you to continue enjoying our best possible experience, we are giving you the chance to upgrade to a new Sky Q box at no extra cost.

That’s right. We’ll replace your current box with our latest one, without any set‑up fees at all. Saving you £99. You’ll still be able to watch all your favourite shows and channels, while enjoying a more enhanced TV experience.

Just give us a call to order it today.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluestraw wrote: »

I've now seen a news report that Sky+ subscribers (non-Sky Q) will lose Sky Sports and film channels within the next few weeks and all Sky channels in August.
  • Options
    bluestrawbluestraw Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »

I've now seen a news report that Sky+ subscribers (non-Sky Q) will lose Sky Sports and film channels within the next few weeks and all Sky channels in August.

That is very old Sky+ (non HD) boxes. Sky+HD boxes will continue to work just fine for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29/03/24 - 09:32 #7

That is very old Sky+ (non HD) boxes. Sky+HD boxes will continue to work just fine for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks. That's reassuring. I was misled by Sky pushing a product I don't want or need at the moment and a newspaper report that attempted to cover three or four aspects of the upcoming changes and in the process muddled them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29/03/24 - 09:32 #8
    Comment deleted by poster.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I got this too. I don't want Sky Q either and don't want Sky Glass either. I don't want to loan equipment. If I leave Sky, which is now more likely in the next year or so then I will get streaming services and be in control rather than be tied into a contract with loaned box and TV.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member

The DRX-890/895 Sky+HD boxes will continue to work - other,older HD boxes will have issues.
    The Q box is needed if you want the additional red button streams for sports though.

The May and August changes only affect non HD boxes. They're changing the way the SD channels are broadcast which means they won't work on the older boxes.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember if you are using a Sky +HD box, that the box is yours for keeps if you stop subscribing. If you took a Sky Q box then technically it is only loaned to you. The box is not your property. If you stop subscribing, you have to return the box to Sky. I understand Sky do enforce this.
  • Options
    2912pwil2912pwil Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Same here, I got Sky's email 2 days ago.

Don't want Sky Q as the satellite cabling is a bit iffy & the dish is on the side of the chimney breast which itself needs working doing to it ... waiting for someone scheduled.. Can't put in new cabling for aesthetic reasons.. (current cabling inside inside walls, wife doesn't want new cables snaking round the sitting room).

Sky replaced the old Sky+ HD box (which was dying..) with a newer one a couple of years ago.

And I'm 2 days short of flogging my Freesat box on ebay....

My current plan is do nothing, hope the the chimney gets fixed, hope current Sky box survives for a few years (I'm 76 - is it me of the Sky box that's goes clogs up first..... ).
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,536
    Forum Member
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Remember if you are using a Sky +HD box, that the box is yours for keeps if you stop subscribing. If you took a Sky Q box then technically it is only loaned to you. The box is not your property. If you stop subscribing, you have to return the box to Sky. I understand Sky do enforce this.

Yes, if you don't return it, they fine you - and they also won't authorise a card in that box.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, if you don't return it, they fine you - and they also won't authorise a card in that box.

Also I have heard although I have yet to find someone to confirm, that they do have the ability to "kill" or should I say deactivate a Sky Q box so it cannot be used for receiving FTA channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Also I have heard although I have yet to find someone to confirm, that they do have the ability to "kill" or should I say deactivate a Sky Q box so it cannot be used for receiving FTA channels.

They can indeed deactivate the box if it's not returned.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2912pwil wrote: »
    Same here, I got Sky's email 2 days ago.

Don't want Sky Q as the satellite cabling is a bit iffy & the dish is on the side of the chimney breast which itself needs working doing to it ... waiting for someone scheduled.. Can't put in new cabling for aesthetic reasons.. (current cabling inside inside walls, wife doesn't want new cables snaking round the sitting room).

Sky replaced the old Sky+ HD box (which was dying..) with a newer one a couple of years ago.

And I'm 2 days short of flogging my Freesat box on ebay....

My current plan is do nothing, hope the the chimney gets fixed, hope current Sky box survives for a few years (I'm 76 - is it me of the Sky box that's goes clogs up first..... ).

you could get sky stream if have fast internet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rscott wrote: »

The DRX-890/895 Sky+HD boxes will continue to work - other,older HD boxes will have issues.
    The Q box is needed if you want the additional red button streams for sports though.

The May and August changes only affect non HD boxes. They're changing the way the SD channels are broadcast which means they won't work on the older boxes.

Thanks. How do I find out which model HD box I have?
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best way is to turn it upside down and there will be a sticker on the back with a barcode , the writing is tiny but look along top and it will have model and version, like DRX890-C. That comment above about older boxes having issues is pure tosh so just ignore. I have a PACE box since the beginning and its still going strong as my main box and the software has not been updated for years. I have a few spare DRX's as well just in case.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    edited 29/03/24 - 20:54 #19
    IIRC the main problem was with the original Thomson Sky+HD boxes.
    They were never updated to cope with a change made to the transmission parameters of the HD channels.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    The best way is to turn it upside down and there will be a sticker on the back with a barcode , the writing is tiny but look along top and it will have model and version, like DRX890-C. That comment above about older boxes having issues is pure tosh so just ignore. I have a PACE box since the beginning and its still going strong as my main box and the software has not been updated for years. I have a few spare DRX's as well just in case.

Thanks. Sadly the underneath is inaccessible unless I disconnect everything, and not being particularly technically minded I'm reluctant to do that for fear of disturbing something and causing a problem I currently don't have. From the assurance you and others have given it appears I am unlikely to be affected to any great extent so I shall leave things as they are and see if anything happens over the coming months. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,536
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    IIRC the main problem was with the original Thomson Sky+HD boxes.
    They were never updated to cope with a change made to the transmission parameters of the HD channels.

The problem wasn't 'not been updated', the problem was the hardware wasn't capable of it - it was too slow, with far too little memory.

Time moves on, box specs. improved, and the software moved forward with it - Sky replaced all the Thomson boxes with later types anyway.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Ah, thanks Nigel.
    I had forgotten that it was a hardware limitation, which obviously explains why it couldn't be fixed!
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled my sub last autumn after around 25years but have been continuing to use the sky+HD box for free channels for £5/month guaranteed for 1year on a rolling contract. They didn't offer me a decent renewal deal or claim I would have to switch to Q or stream. With thousands still using the sky+hd box they would lose a lot of money by making it unusable, all they need to do is flip a switch to keep the card active and bring in more money so why would they disable it if someone is adamant they don't want to upgrade?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pavier wrote: »
    I cancelled my sub last autumn after around 25years but have been continuing to use the sky+HD box for free channels for £5/month guaranteed for 1year on a rolling contract. They didn't offer me a decent renewal deal or claim I would have to switch to Q or stream. With thousands still using the sky+hd box they would lose a lot of money by making it unusable, all they need to do is flip a switch to keep the card active and bring in more money so why would they disable it if someone is adamant they don't want to upgrade?

They're not disabling any Sky+HD boxes or subscriptions - only the few subscribers still using non HD boxes will be affected by the changes happening later this year.

But Sky have completely ended engineer support for Sky+HD customers - if they have box, cabling or dish issues, then Sky will only offer a free upgrade to Q to fix them
    The only exception is if the customer already has Sky Pritect. Those customers will still get call outs. I assume it's because Sky have almost run out of hardware so are reserving it for those.
  • Options
    i_love_tvi_love_tv Posts: 5,368
    Forum Member
    Thankfully my Amstrad SKY box will be ok otherwise Alan Sugar will say to SKY "you're fired!"
  • Options
    john_baconjohn_bacon Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    So what are the changes being made to SD channels?