Options

White Horses

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
This old show has come up in discussion recently but can anyone remember the details of the plot.

I seem to recall that it was a Yugoslavian show....

Comments

• Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    This old show has come up in discussion recently but can anyone remember the details of the plot.

Morning m8 :D

All the details are on imdb.com
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It had the best theme tune ever made.
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fern3 wrote:
    It had the best theme tune ever made.

I love it. :)

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignments/themes/whitehorses.mp3
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Romanian? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote:

from imdb.com (god these guys are great}

Ferien in Lipizza AKA The White Horses,Dubbed into English at De Lane Lea studios london in 1968 and shown throughout the 70s until Jan 1978

when the BBC apparently destroyed the UK dub.The German original language films still exist and live at WDR studios Germany
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macca@90 wrote:

It was Yugoslavian.

http://www.geocities.com/thewhitehorses/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member

Ferien in Lipizza AKA The White Horses,Dubbed into English at De Lane Lea studios london in 1968 and shown throughout the 70s until Jan 1978

when the BBC apparently destroyed the UK dub.The German original language films still exist and live at WDR studios Germany

De Lane lea might have some dusty backups in the transfer bay, i'll have an ask next time i'm in :)
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well it was fab anyway. :)
  • Options
    kinseyjafkinseyjaf Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know i am showing my age but that was my absolute no 1 fav when i was a kid and the girl in the Clarks ad that was me when i was her age,it made me go all warm and fuzzy with nostalgia!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kinseyjaf wrote:
    I know i am showing my age but that was my absolute no 1 fav when i was a kid and the girl in the Clarks ad that was me when i was her age,it made me go all warm and fuzzy with nostalgia!!!

Great memories are made of these old programmes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kinseyjaf wrote:

Me too,I have even taped the advert,yes very sad indeed but essential.
    We used to play White Horses during play time at primary school & a girl who bullied me always made me play a horse,says it all really.
    I loved the show but can't remember details.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    use to love this & Robinson Crusoe - I managed to track down the theme music for both programmes & put them on my ipod - how sad am I ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,190
    Forum Member
    VERENCE wrote:

It has been voted best TV Theme in a Survey!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3080318.stm

and it is currently on the Clarks Shoes ads!.

But Yes the BBC wiped the UK version in the late 70's!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote:
    use to love this & Robinson Crusoe - I managed to track down the theme music for both programmes & put them on my ipod - how sad am I ;)
    I have it on my ipod too- so if you are sad then so am I!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Jacky also sung the theme tune to the 1970s rupert bear series-and she made the top 20 with that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hunted high & low for the song from White Horses, I found it somewhere on the web, but unfortunately it's in mono, which kinda sucks.

I vaguely remember the show, but for some reason the theme tune has stuck in my head.

Perhaps they should have a channel on Sky with all these oldies on, I'd love to re-live them again.

If anyone knows where one can find a stereo download of White Horses, please let me know.
  • Options
    lupalupa Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    kinseyjaf wrote:
    Me too!
    I used to run around the garden playing it :o
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote:
    The classic Robinson Crusoe serial was released on VHS about 10 years ago.
    You should be able to find the VHS copied onto DVD on ebay.
    Although a dvd release would be nice,there seems to be some confusion as to who holds the rights for that.
    There are 2 cd's of the soundtrack available.
    A short one was initially released but a few years later the old recordings were discovered and a full 75 minute cd was released,virtually double the length of the first issue.
    Ironically,the show is probably best known for the music which was actually written for the English version and the music on the foreign original is awful
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes imdb is one of those sites that astounds me.

I am rather shocked and saddened to find out that the girl who played Julia died of heart failure in 1986.

White Horses was a part of many a childs seventies upbringing, and I loved the theme tune too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote:

Not sad at all,I would do the same if I had an ipod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie wrote:
    I hunted high & low for the song from White Horses, I found it somewhere on the web, but unfortunately it's in mono, which kinda sucks.

I vaguely remember the show, but for some reason the theme tune has stuck in my head.

Perhaps they should have a channel on Sky with all these oldies on, I'd love to re-live them again.

If anyone knows where one can find a stereo download of White Horses, please let me know.

Sadly it was only issued in mono by Phiilps Records in 1968(I have a copy ), as if you tried to mess around with it, you would remove its quirky sound
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote:

No you are a person of quality unlike the bozos who have their i-pods full of crap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I have a stereo version of the song, BUT the mono version is much better - its how it was supposed to sound.
    For the stereo, it is just split into two tracks with the vocal and trumpet from one speaker and other instruments out the other - but also the balance between the trumpets and guitars is wrong, and its lost the slightly dreamy echoed voice fade at the end - no stick with the mono - its far superior.

Oh by the way the link provided above is also not the original mono mix I have on my original single (the above link sounds like a mono mix of the stereo version - ie. no dreamy echo ending !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squidney wrote:
    I have a stereo version of the song, BUT the mono version is much better - its how it was supposed to sound.
    For the stereo, it is just split into two tracks with the vocal and trumpet from one speaker and other instruments out the other - but also the balance between the trumpets and guitars is wrong, and its lost the slightly dreamy echoed voice fade at the end - no stick with the mono - its far superior.

But tell me something does that horrible edit halfway through the song stand out even more than on the mono?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    De Lane lea might have some dusty backups in the transfer bay, i'll have an ask next time i'm in :)

Hmm but will they have stood the test of time tho?