Options

dvd recorder with digital tuner

Are there any dvd recorders on the market with a digital tuner inside ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think there is.

God knows why they make DVD recorders with only analog tuners.

Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital terrestrial is only big in the UK and even here up to half the country can't receive it. It just wouldn't make sense for a company to either:

a) build a digital-only DVDR that works in only half of the UK

b) push up the costs of their whole Europe-wide DVDR range by adding digital reception even though it could only be used in one half of one country.

Murray
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but they could include both a digital and an analog tuner like they do on IDTVs.
  • Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would include a digital tuner as well as an analogue one, this is why I am holiding out on buying one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said in b) above, adding a digital tuner alongside the analogue one would push up the costs but would only benefit a small percentage of potential customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by mpark
    As I said in b) above, adding a digital tuner alongside the analogue one would push up the costs but would only benefit a small percentage of potential customers.

but it will obviously happen........eventually!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps, perhaps not. i wouldn't hold my breath. After all, how many VCRs ever came out with built-in Sky, cable or digital terrestrial tuners?

The Philips DVDR-80 is due out in Europe soon and like some VCRs it has the ability to change channels on other boxes which, if you're lucky, may include some or all of the Freeview boxes. I'm sure other manufacturers will follow suit. That would seem to me the most likely, sensible and expedient route for recording to DVD from freeview.

Murray
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by mpark
    Perhaps, perhaps not. i wouldn't hold my breath. After all, how many VCRs ever came out with built-in Sky, cable or digital terrestrial tuners?

The Philips DVDR-80 is due out in Europe soon and like some VCRs it has the ability to change channels on other boxes which, if you're lucky, may include some or all of the Freeview boxes. I'm sure other manufacturers will follow suit. That would seem to me the most likely, sensible and expedient route for recording to DVD from freeview.

Murray

Mpark I am sure you are being very pesimistic, times have changed since video recorders came out, no digital tv was even around and it really would be daft now to add a digital tuner to a very old system.
    Now DVD recorders are still in their infancy and I am sure that within the next 12 months we will see one with a digital tuner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    these already one coming out in a few months according to www.idtv.co.uk :-

and the machine has the following spec:-

Digital Terrestrial Receiver PVR & DVD-R
    Records to hard disk with Multi Guide (EPG). Includes advanced twin tuner & DVD-R recorder for archiving & playback

see :- http://www.fusiondigitec.com/products.htm

some site say the price will be around £450

so mpark you are total wrong