Options

IDTV Question

simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This maybe a stupid question, but if you have a tv with intergrated Freeview how is it possible to record from a programme on Freeview, is it even possible :confused::o:o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the TV is able to output its signal on a SCART socket then it will be possible to record from the internal tuner. Some TVs do this, but I don't know if that means all of them do it or whether just some do.
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the TV is able to output its signal on a SCART socket then it will be possible to record from the internal tuner. Some TVs do this, but I don't know if that means all of them do it or whether just some do.

I think most do. Certainly the Tosh WLT66 does, through both scart sockets. And it always outputs the digital Freeview channel that the Tosh is tuned into, regardless of whether you are watching digital TV, analogue TV, Sky, DVD or VCR.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote:
    This maybe a stupid question, but if you have a tv with intergrated Freeview how is it possible to record from a programme on Freeview, is it even possible :confused::o:o
    You install a recorder with a digital tuner built in. This is by far and away the simplest solution. It mimics what you probably already have with an analogue TV and VCR.

Having a recorder with it's own digital tuner allows you to record a different digital channel to the one you are watching. It also removes the need for the TV to be on anytime you want to make a recording, especially one when you are out of the house.

It is also far less hassle. If you rely on the TV as your recording source you have to remember to set the TV up to output the channel you want to record and set up the recorder. Not so bad if you are in the house to punch all the remote buttons but could be a right royal pain in the wotsit if you want to set up an unattended recording using a combination of the TV and VCR's timers! Even assuming the TV has a timer function!

Much easier to keep the two jobs separate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that this is the best way of record-one / watch-one digital channel. the timer set up on your Tv probably can be set using the Freeview TV guide and even be set to come on without activating the panel (for when youre out). they can even bring the VCR or DVDR to life using a signal from the TV provided that the recording device is compatible........all clever stuff,

BUT

none of this helps with the record-one / watch one typical home scenario.

Get DVDR with integrated DTV or a cheap DVDR and a 2nd digibox.

Rgds,
    Scorp