Party Animals - BBC 2 Wednesday @ 9pm

124»

Comments

• Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadfly wrote:
    I'm hoping for a second series. If only to find out what Scott texted Ashika at the end of the final episode!
    Does anyone know what the text was? If not, let's have some good guesses!

I hated Danny, with his floppy wet lips and piggy little eyes - yuck! What a git. And I think the chicken should have won the election - that would have put all their noses out of joint, hey?! :D:D

(I wonder if Patrick Baladi will ever play anyone nice?!)
  • Options
    BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just GOT to do a 2nd series of this, surely??

This could become the next This Life if the BBC played their cards right. Everything is in place to make it so.

Really hope Scott and the beautiful Ashika get together in series 2 (if there is one....).

Come on BBC - you know it makes sense!!! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the text was? If not, let's have some good guesses!
    I don't think we were supposed to know. It's been left to our imagination. It didn't take him long to text though so I reckon it was "I love you" - or possibly "Tory bitch". ;)
    I hated Danny, with his floppy wet lips and piggy little eyes - yuck! What a git. And I think the chicken should have won the election - that would have put all their noses out of joint, hey?! :D:D
    Oh I thought he was sweet - although of course not so sweet in the end. :)
    (I wonder if Patrick Baladi will ever play anyone nice?!)
    Wasn't he supposed to be nice in The Office? Not that I liked him, he was a bit of a smarm. I actually ended up feeling quite sorry for James though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mayogirl wrote:
    I loved it again last night, though I found it incredibly painful to watch...felt like I was watching friends making a bags of their lives...I felt that Ashika deleted Scott's text message at the end...not sure what he could have said anyway. Once again, beautifully acted by the three main charaters...thought Matt Smith was particularly good last night, and doesn't Andrew Buchan do the brokenhearted look so well...
    He does. I really liked him in the end.
    I really hope there is a second series.
    Yes, there's plenty of scope for one. I certainly think they hoped there would be with that ending. I didn't feel it was a purposely 'up in the air' type ending to finish a one off series, but a cliffhanger in the hope it gets recommissioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very good end to the series. It has been consistently good, with good scripts, good cast, good soundtrack and very well filmed.

Unfortunately the BBC didn't promote it well and viewers who did find it didn't like the characters.
    I must admit I didn't like anyone when I started watching it but there was something about it that made me tune in - admittedly this might have been the fact there was bog all else on I wanted to watch. In the end though, there were several characters I did like, which I really didn't expect to happen!
    With viewing figures of 1.2 million last night it doesn'tt bode well for a 2nd series.

Oh well....
    Hmm, that's a shame. As you say, oh well...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I agree this is a grower, it took a few episodes to get me hooked.

I had the last episode set up to record on our Sky+ but my Dad deleted it so he could record CSI which was on at the same time...I could've killed him!

So I'm hoping it'll be repeated or out on DVD...and I'd love to see a second series. It had nowhere near enough promotion or publicity in my opinion.

Has anyone got any news on repeats, a DVD or a second series?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Has anyone got any news on repeats, a DVD or a second series?[/QUOTE]

Not a word, though I'm still really hoping. It's really bizarre...why would BBC commission a series, and then not bother to promote it? Where's the sense in that? Actually, what the BEEB did here, was even worse than that - they put it on against their own fairly popular drama on BBC1 (New Street Law) and also on a night when there was lots of Champions League football, Carling Cup semi-final Jamie Oliver etc etc...its opening rating was 1.3 million, and at its peak, episode 7 it reached 1.4million. It was on too early, and on BBC2, and basically the towel was thrown in, by episode 2 in terms of promotion. At 8 episodes, there wasn't an awful lot of time for people to get attuned to it, especially as there was a fair bit of setting the scene, and introducing the characters in the first two episodes It's a terrible pity, because it really was that good...very well written, acting - absolutely top drawer (I have no doubt that all of these young actors will go on to good things) brilliant soundtrack, beautifully shot...everything about this programme was class. It took some heavy criticism after the first couple of episodes, but I think most of the critics were won over in the end.

It is clear that the ending of this series left sufficient loose ends for a second series. You have to ask...what is the BBC about these days? Is it yet another for profit TV Corporation, and if so, how do they justify the licence fees? Why not go the whole hog, and fill the schedule with reality tv shows, and celebrity reality tv shows...Party Animals was something to be proud of, even if it didn't attract enormous viewers. I'll be slow to invest my time in new drama again, if its just going to be cut at the end of the first series...from now on, I'll only watch the ratings, so that I'm not so disappointed again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've thought about writing to the BBC to ask if it's being recommissioned but I don't know if there's much point. The decision quite often seems to be a long process and if the answer's yes I don't think they'd tell an ordinary bod like me before a press release.

Oh hell, I'll give it go anyway and see what they say.
  • Options
    James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mayogirl wrote:
    Has anyone got any news on repeats, a DVD or a second series?

Not a word, though I'm still really hoping. It's really bizarre...why would BBC commission a series, and then not bother to promote it? Where's the sense in that? Actually, what the BEEB did here, was even worse than that - they put it on against their own fairly popular drama on BBC1 (New Street Law) and also on a night when there was lots of Champions League football, Carling Cup semi-final Jamie Oliver etc etc...its opening rating was 1.3 million, and at its peak, episode 7 it reached 1.4million. It was on too early, and on BBC2, and basically the towel was thrown in, by episode 2 in terms of promotion. At 8 episodes, there wasn't an awful lot of time for people to get attuned to it, especially as there was a fair bit of setting the scene, and introducing the characters in the first two episodes It's a terrible pity, because it really was that good...very well written, acting - absolutely top drawer (I have no doubt that all of these young actors will go on to good things) brilliant soundtrack, beautifully shot...everything about this programme was class. It took some heavy criticism after the first couple of episodes, but I think most of the critics were won over in the end.

It is clear that the ending of this series left sufficient loose ends for a second series. You have to ask...what is the BBC about these days? Is it yet another for profit TV Corporation, and if so, how do they justify the licence fees? Why not go the whole hog, and fill the schedule with reality tv shows, and celebrity reality tv shows...Party Animals was something to be proud of, even if it didn't attract enormous viewers. I'll be slow to invest my time in new drama again, if its just going to be cut at the end of the first series...from now on, I'll only watch the ratings, so that I'm not so disappointed again.[/QUOTE]

They did the same for Bodies.
  • Options
    gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is clear that the ending of this series left sufficient loose ends for a second series. You have to ask...what is the BBC about these days? Is it yet another for profit TV Corporation, and if so, how do they justify the licence fees? Why not go the whole hog, and fill the schedule with reality tv shows, and celebrity reality tv shows...Party Animals was something to be proud of, even if it didn't attract enormous viewers. I'll be slow to invest my time in new drama again, if its just going to be cut at the end of the first series...from now on, I'll only watch the ratings, so that I'm not so disappointed again.

They did the same for Bodies.[/QUOTE]

Yes, BIZARRE behaviour from the BBC. Party Animals was simply fab. There's also a Lilies thread on this site, which is complaining about the exact same treatment of that drama too - even if it wasn't your cup of tea, it's yet another example of how the BBC seems to be setting up some of its shows for a fall! Most odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you know this show is by the same people who did 'This life'. And that wasn't at all popular in the beginning. Yet, the Beeb went mad on promoting 'TL''s second series, and it became a huge cult show.

Maybe they are trying the same approach with this excellent show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jen0607 wrote:
    Did you know this show is by the same people who did 'This life'. And that wasn't at all popular in the beginning. Yet, the Beeb went mad on promoting 'TL''s second series, and it became a huge cult show.

Maybe they are trying the same approach with this excellent show?

Sadly, that was 10 years ago, and, to my mind, a much different BBC...when maybe the ratings were less important than they seem today. I agree that they should do that, but I'm not expecting it...Reality TV rules nowadays...the funny thing was that This Life had a slightly reality tv feel about, before reality tv was discovered this side of the atlantic. Party Animals wasn't "save the world" telly by any means, but surely there is a place on a channel like BBC2 for a well written, smart, slick and funny piece of drama, which was beautifully acted, directed, edited, etc. It might have been more soap than politics, but it never failed to entertain, and in an entertainment media, isn't that enough?

Someone suggested in an earlier post of writing to the BBC...surely it can't do any harm. Maybe we could start an online petition... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mayogirl wrote:
    Sadly, that was 10 years ago, and, to my mind, a much different BBC...when maybe the ratings were less important than they seem today. I agree that they should do that, but I'm not expecting it...Reality TV rules nowadays...the funny thing was that This Life had a slightly reality tv feel about, before reality tv was discovered this side of the atlantic. Party Animals wasn't "save the world" telly by any means, but surely there is a place on a channel like BBC2 for a well written, smart, slick and funny piece of drama, which was beautifully acted, directed, edited, etc. It might have been more soap than politics, but it never failed to entertain, and in an entertainment media, isn't that enough?
    I'd far rather see another series of this than another reality TV show. I suppose the advante of the reality TV stuff is it costs less and usually generates money via voting.
    Someone suggested in an earlier post of writing to the BBC...surely it can't do any harm. Maybe we could start an online petition... :)
    That was me. :) However, looking at the BBC's notes on what not to contact them about, asking if a show's been recommissioned is one of them. :rolleyes:

I think an online petition - or even each of us e-mailing them saying how much we enjoyed the show - would be a good idea. Mind you, it'd probably require more than five e-mails if the recommission is hanging in the balance. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I read some of the Lilies message board...wow! I saw part of one episode of lilies, and it looked good, but I was really surprised when I saw it on a Friday evening...thought it was daft scheduling. It's another World Productions series, as is Rough Diamonds, which I didn't really like, but I understand performed well in the ratings...if none of these are recommisoned, then perhaps World might consider taking their drama to ITV/Channel 4...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I wrote to the Beeb to tell them how much I enjoyed Party Animals and that I hope the writers and actors get a chance of a second series. Got a reply which, though I'm sure is a pretty standard, acknowledged the fact I'd said I'd like to see more. This sentence gave me a bit of hope, 'Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comment will play a part in this process'.

So get writing fellow fans! :)
  • Options
    gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I wrote to the Beeb to tell them how much I enjoyed Party Animals and that I hope the writers and actors get a chance of a second series. Got a reply which, though I'm sure is a pretty standard, acknowledged the fact I'd said I'd like to see more. This sentence gave me a bit of hope, 'Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comment will play a part in this process'.

So get writing fellow fans! :)

I have a bad feeling this is not being recommissioned I'm afraid, after talking to someone at the BBC.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never knew there was an "online component" to Party Animals:

http://www.villagevermin.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gadfly wrote:
    I have a bad feeling this is not being recommissioned I'm afraid, after talking to someone at the BBC.
    Oh well, that's a shame. I'll survive though. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Read a little bit in a TV supplement yesterday that Party Animals will definitely not be returning. Patrick Baladi has apparently said he finds the decision really depressing and "I thought the BBC's job was to push new drama and give it a chance".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Read a little bit in a TV supplement yesterday that Party Animals will definitely not be returning. Patrick Baladi has apparently said he finds the decision really depressing and "I thought the BBC's job was to push new drama and give it a chance".

Thanks for that.

Another good series bites the dust, is it really worth us watching programming if it's well scripted, well acted, sumptiously produced and then scrapped when it fails to attract a sizeable enough audience.
    I do think, in the multi-channel age, it's very difficult for new drama now because it just doesn't attract large viewerships for the investment. Which will mean commissioning departments will always go for the cheap programming to fill the schedules.